Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Straight from SEN website. “Sydney star Tom Papley says his trade request to Carlton at the end of 2019 was purely for family and personal reasons.

Papley, who is contracted to the Swans until the end of 2023, asked to be traded to the Blues to be closer to his family in Victoria as his father battled bipolar disorder.

The electrifying small forward ultimately stayed at the Swans as a deal between the two clubs failed to materialise during the trade period.”

Has been a good player for Sydney despite a deal was not struck. Seems to be still playing for the jumper. Shai Bolton may have to eat humble pie and still play for the Tigers. Freo can take a risk and let him go or take an untried player in the draft. They are closer to a flag than RFC.

"Lol. You'll pay me for 4 years not to play for you instead of taking slightly less than the overs you want? I doubt it. Both my management and the AFLPA will be contacting you shortly. All correspondence is now to go through them. Don't contact me again."
Good **** off. Now piss off to your own board

From my review there has never been a pick 10 or 11 in the past 10 years who is as talented as Bolton. 10 and 11 for Bolton is an amazing deal for Freo.
Otherwise we keep him. In 3 years time we will be pushing for finals again and he will still be a gun.
Freo have zero hand. Therefore they have to make the deal compelling. Until then, Blair should not waste his time talking to Freo.
hmmm, but your dealing with the messed up logic of the freo recruiting team.

this is a club that routinely makes terrible trading decisions then drafts most of it most talented players ever like mundy, fyfe, neale, sandilands, johnson, walters, hayden, ryan, ballantyne, darcy, treacy, bell after the first round. then apart from the last 5 years has done terribly with its first round picks. weird but true.

hmmm, but your dealing with the messed up logic of the freo recruiting team.

this is a club that routinely makes terrible trading decisions then drafts most of it most talented players ever like mundy, fyfe, neale, sandilands, johnson, walters, hayden, ryan, ballantyne, darcy, treacy, bell after the first round. then apart from the last 5 years has done terribly with its first round picks. weird but true.

Baker and Bolton for 10,11,18 wouldn’t interest you?

I think you’d make top 4 with them easily.

It’s not like you need the picks right now anyway.

The more I read about the Bolton trade the more I hope our club just doesn't budge on 10 & 11. I couldn't careless if the trade doesn't happen, Bolton stays and Freo miss out and can look elsewhere.
They can go do what ever they want with their picks.

I’m reluctantly taking 10 & 11. In this draft, the talent pool is that of most years top ten. So effectively two top ten picks for Bolton.

It’s up to us to make sure the talent that comes in for those picks are worthy of losing a superstar like Bolton.

This draft is extraordinary- and you can see it from the way clubs are trading into it.

Whilst in a perfect world we get a top 5 pick for Bolton, there is some clubs that lose superstars and don’t have teams with great draft hands and have to relent. You can only get what you can get and to me, 10 & 11 is something I would take, but, it’s the absolute worst case I would accept.

Baker and Bolton for 10,11,18 wouldn’t interest you?

I think you’d make top 4 with them easily.

It’s not like you need the picks right now anyway.
leave Baker out of it.
10, 11 & pay a huge chunk of his salary.
Bolton is a great addition to their mid fwd rotation of Brayshaw, Serong.
If Bolton gels, they improve.

They can try to swap 18 into next years draft for Warner.

Taranto, Hopper 2 players from same club didn't help RFC. Sent us backwards. Prestia, Graham, Hopper, Taranto forward line was horrible.
I think Freo had some injured tall fwds late in the year and lost 4 straight, missed the 8.
I don't think Baker's a massive need for any team.
Any club has to give Baker 4 years . WCE's 23. very, very late 1st rounder, be young Ned Kelly level highway, robbery.

Last edited:
"Lol. You'll pay me for 4 years not to play for you instead of taking slightly less than the overs you want? I doubt it. Both my management and the AFLPA will be contacting you shortly. All correspondence is now to go through them. Don't contact me again."
He doesn’t play, he gets no pay. Freo pays up or Foff. Rather keep Bolton anyway. He’s absolute gun.

"Hey Richmond, sorry had to permanently return home to Perth for family reasons. Will be staying here for the foreseeable future. Not trading me when asked has caused a lot of mental health issues. Will be still claiming full pay and taking mental health leave to be with my family until I'm traded. You can thank the Player's Association for that. Hope you understand. Thanks Champ."
And you actually came up with that all by yourself

You are wasting your talents on this forum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton deal is 18 +30 for Bolton + 45. He doesn't want to be there, needs to go back home. Missus wants to raise kids in WA. Freo should play hardball and take the 3 best kids available in the draft. Freo could go slightly higher if Richmond pay half his salary, but we don't and won't pay overs. Keep your player there with an upset family, see if you get the best out of him. Next trade period his value drops through the floor, he goes anyway, you don't get picks in before the compromised Tassie drafts.
16ce776f-30cb-4786-a284-ca38a2f1446a_text.gif

I am happy to keep Shai unless the deal is 10,11. There really is nothing for us to talk about with Freo.
They won't budge I don't think, they want Bo Allen at 11.
We are not going to hold Shai back, so 18 not 11 it will be most likely.

We have a massive hand, so it's not like it is going to hurt us much.

They won't budge I don't think, they want Bo Allen at 11.
We are not going to hold Shai back, so 18 not 11 it will be most likely.

We have a massive hand, so it's not like it is going to hurt us much.
If they were hard stuck on wanting Bo Allen at 11, they wouldn't have offered 10, 11, 18 for Baker and Bolton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back