Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have much to support this thought, but I am wondering if Eagles and Reid knew from before he was drafted that he was likely to want to come back to Victoria. But Eagles in this scenario could have said to him we think you are the best player in the draft by miles, you do all you can for us, we will do all we can for you. If anything along these lines was true, then Richmond this year could present the first huge chance for the Eagles to cash in on Reid by getting something worth way more than pick 1(which Reid is worth, ie way more than pick 1) in return. Possibly 25yo superstar Bolton, plus potentially pick 2. Whereas if they knew Reid was likely to leave and said ok we won't draft him, they just get the 2023 pick 2. This way they get that plus Bolton, and maybe they need to give something back, like pick 23 and perhaps their 2025 rd 2 pick.

As I said, based on nothing, just drawing a few threads together and wondering out loud if something like this is possible.
Bolton + 2 = Reid + 2nd rounder I reckon.

Both teams lose and win.

Bolton + 2 = Reid + 2nd rounder I reckon.

Both teams lose and win.
Given Reid was #1 last year, aligning him to #2 isn't that far off. what is coast WC last year...
So basically you're saying Bolton is only worth a second rounder...

Gime me a spell.

And, if you rate Reid much higher than #2, or even just #1 as a like for like, all your are doing is continuing to decrease Boltons value.

This just feels like freo kicking tyres, given they are ready to take the next step and have the picks to trade but no one locked in.

Pretty confident Bolton doesn't want to leave, his partner is from melbourne and they have a kid. There isn't really a go home factor and if you listen to his speech at last years BnF he seems to very settled. In the event he leaves given he is contracted until 2028 we will get way overs
Freo are just another fringe finals team that will hover between 5-10

They sold the trophy cabinet and looking for book shelves

Reid will end up at Geelong. Country boy who barracked for them. Dairy farm, beach house & lifetime supply of Ford Rangers for himself & every family member await...
And an interview with Whateley every Tuesday.

Given Reid was #1 last year, aligning him to #2 isn't that far off. what is coast WC last year...
So basically you're saying Bolton is only worth a second rounder...

Gime me a spell.

And, if you rate Reid much higher than #2, or even just #1 as a like for like, all your are doing is continuing to decrease Boltons value.

The trouble with this is it is blindingly obvious Reid is worth more than pick 2 or pick 1. A lot more.

The trouble with this is it is blindingly obvious Reid is worth more than pick 2 or pick 1. A lot more.
Yep, and pick 1 this year wont be close to Reid. This kid has it all.

Yep, and pick 1 this year wont be close to Reid. This kid has it all.
If Reid wanted out, then it would take Bolton, Baker and Pick 1 to get it done. Remember what RFC offered for Jason Horne-Francis. Doublethat and you're in the ball park. The price on Reid's head would be more than what the cats paid for Cameron.

Yep Bolton for two teen pics that end up like 17 and 20 would be wayyyyyy unders . If he was 29yo maybe ,,,he’s 25 and is an A grade player in anyone’s estimation
Bolton warrants a top 10 pick plus the future first rounder as a minimum. Ditto Baker. Both of these players have the potential to do what prestia did for us and we got him for a bargain at Pick 6 because he wanted to leave so a deal had to be made somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Reid wanted out, then it would take Bolton, Baker and Pick 1 to get it done. Remember what RFC offered for Jason Horne-Francis. Doublethat and you're in the ball park. The price on Reid's head would be more than what the cats paid for Cameron.

Cats only paid the equivalent of about pick 2 for Cameron.

Bolton warrants a top 10 pick plus the future first rounder as a minimum. Ditto Baker. Both of these players have the potential to do what prestia did for us and we got him for a bargain at Pick 6 because he wanted to leave so a deal had to be made somewhere.
Won’t get that for baker , pic 10-15 about right I’d say

I reckon Pick 1 or 2 and Bolton would get it done if he demanded to be traded, a man can dream.

I reckon Pick 1 or 2 and Bolton would get it done if he demanded to be traded, a man can dream.
would not come close to getting it done...
We're better suited to forgetting about Reid and concentrating on draft picks spread over 2 years.
like it or not, currently we are the ugly girl at the school dance = draft picks can make us cool again!

would not come close to getting it done...
We're better suited to forgetting about Reid and concentrating on draft picks spread over 2 years.
like it or not, currently we are the ugly girl at the school dance = draft picks can make us cool again!
I agree it wouldnt happen, but my post was in response to Baker, Bolton and pick 20

tough being the co-skipper but oscar allen as lynchs new replacement would be who i would be going for. Proven KPF and they have sort of forgotten about him with watermen having a big year.

tough being the co-skipper but oscar allen as lynchs new replacement would be who i would be going for. Proven KPF and they have sort of forgotten about him with watermen having a big year.
They most certainly havent forgotten about him mate

I agree...

So I think the only way to work out a deal (even an imaginary one), would be to work out what each club would want for their respective players, the deduct from their.

Definitely get us a facial with some botox / lil' bit of laser thrown in. Corrective surgery and fitness / performance conditioning from reputable practitioners not guaranteed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back