Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

If we trade Bolton for anything other than 3x first round picks then we'll have failed. An uncontracted Taranto went for picks 12 and 19, a contracted Schultz went for a first and a second and Bolton is at least 2 times the player of schultz and a much better player than Taranto. He is also contracted for 4 more years

also i think everyone needs to realise, we have Chris Toce as our recruiter now. He has been St Kilda's recruiter the last 10 years.. and we all know how good their list has been ... :sick:
Mathew Clarke who was our recruiter making good picks like shai bolton at 29 was poached by west coast at the start of the year. WERE COOKED
10 years??

If we trade Bolton for anything other than 3x first round picks then we'll have failed. An uncontracted Taranto went for picks 12 and 19, a contracted Schultz went for a first and a second and Bolton is at least 2 times the player of schultz and a much better player than Taranto. He is also contracted for 4 more years
Only problem is that if he does want to go home there are only two clubs that can potentially satisfy our demands. If a Taranto wants to come home to Victoria there are up to 10 potential bidders. If Bolton was a Melbourne boy coming back there would be quite a feeding frenzy. We may want three but in the end we may well have to settle for their first two.

Unheard of three first rounders for a player. Hawks got pick 19 for Franklin as a FA, but we aint going to get 3 firsts for Bolton by any club. .

Ablett Jr got two firsts and he's super elite compared to Bolton who is elite, but not on the same page.

Last edited:
Unheard of three first rounders for a player. Hawks got pick 19 for Franklin as a FA, but we aint going to get 3 firsts for Bolton.

Ablett Jr got two firsts and he's super elite compared to Bolton who is elite, but not on the same page.

Not sure what FA compensation has to with Shai Bolton

Not sure what FA compensation has to with Shai Bolton
I just gave examples of two greats and they received nothing in comparison to what we are expecting for Shai. The AFL- FA compensation was probably a poor example to use .My point is no club will give us 3 firsts . I edited post to clear up confusion.v I'm not sure what the greatest club trade of firsts ever has been. I can't recall 3 firsts.

i'm working through this atm:

Last edited:
2 x r1 is gold , we at lowest ebb in club history , of course we take it
If one of the early pick was low but they’re not. Freo offers should not be considered unless there is an early pick.

WC on the other hand could be the go if Bolton wants WA. We control any trade as he’s contracted.

I just gave examples of two greats and they received nothing in comparison to what we are expecting for Shai. The AFL- FA compensation was probably a poor example to use .My point is no club will give us 3 firsts . I edited post to clear up confusion.v I'm not sure what the greatest club trade of firsts ever has been. I can't recall 3 firsts.
Jeremy Cameron cost 3 first rounders I’m pretty sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeremy Cameron cost 3 first rounders I’m pretty sure
. Good work SN as it was a nice try , but GWS gave away two High second rounders in return. Deal was just under two firsts in the end. 1800 points difference approx. gives pick 15 and pick 27 which is nowhere near three firsts.

What Geelong GaveWhat Geelong GotJeremy Cameron77 games53 XGPick 13Pick not used1212 points79 XGPick 15Pick not used1112 points71 XGPick 20Pick not used912 points66 XG2021R2 (Essendon)
(estimate: pick 24)Pick not used785 points56 XG2021R2 (Greater Western Sydney)
(estimate: pick 27)Pick not used703 points51 XG2021R4 (Geelong)
(estimate: pick 71)Pick not used29 points5 XG4 picks0 players0 games3265 points221 XG2 picks1 player77 games1488 points160 XGGreater Western SydneyWhat Greater Western Sydney GaveWhat Greater Western Sydney GotJeremy Cameron77 games53 XGPick 13Pick not used1212 points79 XGPick 15Pick not used1112 points71 XGPick 20Pick not used912 points66 XG2021R2 (Essendon)
(estimate: pick 24)Pick not used785 points56 XG2021R2 (Greater Western Sydney)
(estimate: pick 27)Pick not used703 points51 XG2021R4 (Geelong)
(estimate: pick 71)Pick not used29 points5 XG2 picks1 player77 games1488 points160 XG4 picks0 players0 games3265 points221 XG

Last edited:
I want to keep Shai …. but the worry for me is his attitude in 2025 if we keep him against his wish. He already has his money locked in until end of 2027, so if he’s disgruntled then he could be less than motivated and won’t pay the price for poor form. He may figure his best way to get out is to play average footy and force our hand…..

Obviously you’d hope his ego and professionalism would trump that, but not sure it would with Shai?

So if they’re confident he will do what Papley and Ryan O’Keefe did when retained and play career best footy then hold him unless a Godfather offer comes in. But if the club think it’s likely he will want out again end of 2025 and may not be motivated to play great footy for us, then perhaps cash our chips in when his value can’t get much higher in a super strong draft.

If Baker stays these decisions become a lot easier, as I’d not want to lose both Baker and Bolton in addition to Rioli, who I think is a no-brainer to trade for a couple of top-20 picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We aren't getting 3 first round picks for Bolton. Would you honestly be giving Freo our 3 first rounders for Bolton if the shoe was on the other foot?

You're dreaming.

I want to keep Shai …. but the worry for me is his attitude in 2025 if we keep him against his wish. He already has his money locked in until end of 2027, so if he’s disgruntled then he could be less than motivated and won’t pay the price for poor form. He may figure his best way to get out is to play average footy and force our hand…..

Obviously you’d hope his ego and professionalism would trump that, but not sure it would with Shai?

So if they’re confident he will do what Papley and Ryan O’Keefe did when retained and play career best footy then hold him unless a Godfather offer comes in. But if the club think it’s likely he will want out again end of 2025 and may not be motivated to play great footy for us, then perhaps cash our chips in when his value can’t get much higher in a super strong draft.

If Baker stays these decisions become a lot easier, as I’d not want to lose both Baker and Bolton in addition to Rioli, who I think is a no-brainer to trade for a couple of top-20 picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I honestly doubt we are losing Rioli, out of all the media reports I think this one is made up. I don't have an issue losing Baker, Bolton & Graham.

We aren't getting 3 first round picks for Bolton. Would you honestly be giving Freo our 3 first rounders for Bolton if the shoe was on the other foot?

You're dreaming.
yep Cameron was worth less than two FR after his deal. No hope it's all Olympic gold medals dreaming. Balanced out to a pick 15 and 27 on points system.

Last edited:

You're dreaming.
2 picks is okay but one must be top 5. If WC was to make an offer we can direct Shai there. He is worth a top 5 pick+

2 picks is okay but one must be top 5. If WC was to make an offer we can direct Shai there. He is worth a top 5 pick+

I just can't see it happening unless Collingwood drops. I think pick 7 or 8 will be the best it can go. The 2nd pick could be their next best whether its Port Adelaide's or Freo's. I just can't see them giving us all 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back