Player Watch #29: Tyrone Vickery Worship Inside

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats close to the best game Ive seen a Richmond player play this year. 21 possessions, 10 marks and 6 goals. Unbelievable

It was the way he moved and hunted the pill, that 20 meter hand pass in the centre square he put to Lloyd was class

I think when he wasn't in the seniors there was some talk that he would stay if he played seniors. Well if he keeps dishing that up no problems whatsoever, this is what everyone has been waiting for. McBean is going to find it hard to break in to this side unless we get some serious injuries

It was the way he moved and hunted the pill, that 20 meter hand pass in the centre square he put to Lloyd was class

I think when he wasn't in the seniors there was some talk that he would stay if he played seniors. Well if he keeps dishing that up no problems whatsoever, this is what everyone has been waiting for. McBean is going to find it hard to break in to this side unless we get some serious injuries
100 games for Vickery next week
Really hope he finally realises what he's capable of and that the effort brings reward

Can we tease the pies a bit to get their eyes off the ball in the Treloar chase.

I know its probably all done but I think after our finals exit (hopefully as late as possible) we will all be on here saying its time to go after that big gun.

Nick Reiwoldt's reverse engineering is to follow through, drive right through the ball, and aim to have his foot high through the follow through, and his eyes down at his foot as it makes it way through the spot of contact. And... i think this is incorrect. Might work well in training, I am sure it does. But I think if he just worked on the spin like Gunston, it does not matter about kicking towards goals, all you care about is spinning the ball. Then you point in the right direction. Nick is still launching himself towards the goal. I go further back in the reverse engineering, all I care about his spin on contact. That is how Schulz and Jack kick it dead-eye. And Ty also. spin is fast enough, and perpendicular to the turf

I'd be interested to know where Peter 'flat punt' Hudson fits in to this theory. Accuracy rate of 68% if Wikipedia is to be believed.

It could be more complex than that because he may have kicked many goals in close. But on the other hand... He was pretty famous for those wobbly old kicks. And certainly played enough games to not be a statistical aberration ala who was it... That Aboriginal guy from North (Gilbert McAdam?)

For me it's the run up that is important unless you are on an acute angle and need to try something cute from the pocket. Straight run up = straight kick. Problem is too many guys get that bent run up to give a bit of hook foot power. Tony Lockett's run up (and lead, for that matter) was like a freight train.

EDIT: straight like a freight train, not fast like one. Probably should have used a better analogy.

Last edited:
For me it's the run up that is important unless you are on an acute angle and need to try something cute from the pocket. Straight run up = straight kick. Problem is too many guys get that bent run up to give a bit of hook foot power. Tony Lockett's run up (and lead, for that matter) was like a freight train.
this TD. where Buddy slices this drop-punt for goal, 99.9% get a hook, and the player will naturally be giving some allowance for this, i) on the target, further to the outside to allow for the hook; and ii) allow the run in for the shot, to be pointing the body in this direction of (i)

also, I thought Plugger was measured in his run in for his goal shot. more a walk, less a jog. definitely not a run-in.

Re: Hudson? p'raps wet grounds, 1960s and 1970s leather boots, the poor turf under foot, all these elements never allowed mastery of ball skills that are allowed today when all conditions are nigh 100%. So, strategic decision, he prolly would have had success with a drop-kick or drop punt (different kicks) but he figured he would have had a degree or more success with his kick across the belly, whatever this flat punt is called

Just went back over your posting here about Buckley and it reminded me of one I forgot ... the stab pass. Remember that one? Not many players could do it well. Seem to remember the old Essendon captain Jack Clarke (brother of Ron the great runner) could use it effectively. A drop kick that travelled low and fast a few feet off the ground and would hit a full forward right in the belly button.
the hawks can all do this pass now. and any player in the past decades could do it, but it was a decision to use it for efficiency, only a few players had the facility like buckley. most prefer to chip it with less speed, and more height. it is merely a judgement with a chance for success.

Last edited:

the deliverance kid is a spitting image of the ugandan cycling commentator paul sherwen. I think it is uganda, obviously Sherwen is a colonial brit.

the kid was mentally ret@rdedl yes, mentally ret arded. he is not actually playing the banjo, it is a person behind him with his arms around him so it looks like the young kid is playing the banjo. it is in the director's commentary for the dvd.

Last edited:
the deliverance kid is a spitting image of the ugandan cycling commentator paul sherwen. I think it is uganda, obviously Sherwen is a colonial brit.

the kid was mentally ret@rdedl yes, mentally ret arded. he is not actually playing the banjo, it is a person behind him with his arms around him so it looks like the young kid is playing the banjo. it is in the director's commentary for the dvd.
Fair dinkum?
Shit hey that's an interesting fact.
Learn something everyday.

the deliverance kid looks exactly like the Hawks player Cox from 5-10 years ago...

Fair dinkum?
Shit hey that's an interesting fact.
Learn something everyday.
yep, whoever did the commentary on the DVD, assume it was the director.

like tarantino said, did not go to film school, i went to films.

well, you could build up a great knowledge by listening and watching directors commentaries, the good ones. some are utter shite

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have had more if he stayed forward instead of having to give Maric a chopout
Which is why i think we need to find another kpf like Tomlinson at gws.
Adding a player like Tomlinson has some very real advantages.
1/ Vickery can be the second ruck and develop further in the role, the team needs a viable second ruckman where we dont lose too much when Ivan is rested.
2/ When Vickery or when Griff played as the only second tall fwd and they go into the ruck we don't lose our structure. It has been a bug bear of mine for years.
3/ A Tomlinson type gives us greater flexability, and he would provide greater agility and mobility and be less cumbersome than playing two 200cm players.

OK I am going to say I was wrong with Vickery. Good on him.

I really thought he was a squib in the ruck and didn't know how to play forward. As someone else said, maybe he finally realised that he was bigger than everyone else. He always had a nice kicking style, I just thought he was not good on the lead and only ever got goals when the other tall defenders were stuck minding Riewoldt.

Happy to be proven wrong again.

I hope we keep Griffiths, because I think he is a good player and gives us a lot of options. The one in the gun must be Astbury, and I guess Elton too. Not saying I want them gone but an AFL list is a harsh place come October/November if you are not getting games.

is gettting better and better now that he has his confidence up. his agression is also more reigned in and is starting to hit the scoreboard. Will stay (unless Pies give us 2 first rounders - this years and next years) at the very minimum. plus elliott.

His next 100 games in the yellow and black will garner about 300 goals i reckon!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Tyrone Vickery Worship Inside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back