Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - revives his career w/ B2B tagging performances vs NDaicos vs CFC & COliver (10d) vs MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting pretty sick of certain posters here who clearly barrack for their junk opinions to be correct instead of barracking for our team.
ha, junk, nice

He’s just an enigma wrapped into a riddle… or whatever browny harps on about.
No pace to spread from the guts but you want the ball in his hands. Him , Powell and Sheezel (slightly lesser degree wardlaw and Taylor) hitting up f50 targets.. droollll 🤤

No offence to Laz but Wil is in a different stratosphere as a footballer. Laz had his chances, didn’t take them. Wil’s taking his. It’s amazing how many people freak out about a player working on stuff in the twos, albeit I was guilty of it with Ford. But look at Eddie’s game without the ball now. Look at Kal Dawson. Look at Philips.

Clarkson knows what he is doing - name me a single player that has regressed this year? Stephens doesn’t count.
I agree with all this, however it’s funny how quickly things change with a tiny amount of success! Four weeks ago I recon the list of players who had regressed would be as long as my arm 😂

It’s working well for him at the moment to get games.

Hopefully he can continue to build on this and become the player we hoped when we drafted him.

He loves the club you can here it in the interview after the game he is invested

Oh no doubt he would love the place, who wouldn't. At days end he though needs to make the best decision for him and his future. And not getting a game in a side that as per the below snapshot isn't flash.
1719191184469.png

But he's now getting a game and will play again next week, it what I feel shapes as our biggest challenge to date. These pesky dogs have gutted us in recent seasons. A good showing here by Wil & us will go along way towards us rebuilding our creditability.

I’m sure Will was honoured being given the 29. He’s been one of us ever since.

I think it was his first interview and he mentioned how much he loves the club which is something I’ve not really seen somebody say since in that moment. He struck me as hard worker that knew his loyalty was 100% to the club that showed faith in him. It would be sad for all parties if we didn’t have him with us next year (and beyond) because it feels he’s found his niche finally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was his first interview and he mentioned how much he loves the club which is something I’ve not really seen somebody say since in that moment. He struck me as hard worker that knew his loyalty was 100% to the club that showed faith in him. It would be sad for all parties if we didn’t have him with us next year (and beyond) because it feels he’s found his niche finally.
Agreed. And I would imagine the bond would only have strengthened once Clarko arrived given their pre-existing relationship.

Agreed. And I would imagine the bond would only have strengthened once Clarko arrived given their pre-existing relationship.
Yes. But we've also seen the other side of Clarko if you're surplus to his needs he will trade you in the the blink of an eye. I'm hoping this isn't the case with Will and he can cement himself in the best 22 for the remainder of the season.

His last 2 weeks have been great & he has seems to have finally found his place in the side.
He will get a run of games now to continue to curtail & learn off the game’s best players.
This will be a great education for Will to see how the best go about it & the hard work required to become elite.
Hopefully this is the making of him…
Long term we are hoping he is not a tagger, instead he is the one getting tagged.
Who does he go to this week?
Libba is probably the best fit & is certainly worth stopping or does Will take on the Bont? Hardest job going, but if successful, would go a long way to help us being right in this game.

So happy with Will at the moment.

You can feel how much the group loves him and watching him come good would surely lift the spirits around the club.

On his game, I reckon damage-per-possession is through the roof for our #29, just as it used to be.

Hope he gets hold of someone again this weekend and announces to everyone - including himself - that he belongs in our best 22.

So happy with Will at the moment.

You can feel how much the group loves him and watching him come good would surely lift the spirits around the club.

On his game, I reckon damage-per-possession is through the roof for our #29, just as it used to be.

Hope he gets hold of someone again this weekend and announces to everyone - including himself - that he belongs in our best 22.
Nice avatar pic :thumbsu:

His last 2 weeks have been great & he has seems to have finally found his place in the side.
He will get a run of games now to continue to curtail & learn off the game’s best players.
This will be a great education for Will to see how the best go about it & the hard work required to become elite.
Hopefully this is the making of him…
Long term we are hoping he is not a tagger, instead he is the one getting tagged.
Who does he go to this week?
Libba is probably the best fit & is certainly worth stopping or does Will take on the Bont? Hardest job going, but if successful, would go a long way to help us being right in this game.
The difficultly with Bont is he'll just push forward and expose him.
Rather than a hard tag, perhaps a run with head to head battle with Libba which would be fun to see.

Intriguing matchups this week for Clarko to nut out.

You've got:

Libba- the consumate inside bull. He starts matches very well and asserts square dominance early, but does have a slight tendancy to fade late. Physically, he is probably the most logical fit.

Bont- Size, strength, agility. Wins it inside, outside, can float forward and take it overhead, can float back although his rebound isn't a huge factor. Does it all.

Treloar- Speed and spread. Probably under-rated a little for his contested work but his weapons are on the spread and repeat links in the chain. Wins a shit tonne of ball, but his disposal can be hit and miss, particularly under pressure.

These 3 are the key in the rotations and if we are talking Phillips as a tag, it's probably Treloar who is most vulnerable imo. Will just needs his blocking to be at its absolute best to be effective in this scenario. Block the run, beat him in close and stop the spread.

You've got:

Libba- the consumate inside bull. He starts matches very well and asserts square dominance early, but does have a slight tendancy to fade late. Physically, he is probably the most logical fit.

Bont- Size, strength, agility. Wins it inside, outside, can float forward and take it overhead, can float back although his rebound isn't a huge factor. Does it all.

Treloar- Speed and spread. Probably under-rated a little for his contested work but his weapons are on the spread and repeat links in the chain. Wins a shit tonne of ball, but his disposal can be hit and miss, particularly under pressure.

These 3 are the key in the rotations and if we are talking Phillips as a tag, it's probably Treloar who is most vulnerable imo. Will just needs his blocking to be at its absolute best to be effective in this scenario. Block the run, beat him in close and stop the spread.
Take Treloar out of the game. He is the ignition to their engine.

You've got:

I’d lean towards Liberatore for the tag. Dogs best clearance and contested player - take his influence out and that’s a lot less clean ball movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back