West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
2nd Elimination Final:

West Coast Eagles Vs Port Adelaide Flat Trackers

Where: Adelaide Oval
When: Saturday, September 10th, 5:20 pm WAST
Where they finished: West Coast 8th, 12-10, 105.7% - Port 5th, 14-8, 129.7%

After Lewis Jetta and Jack Darling crushed the hopes and dreams of countless Melbourne supporters nationwide, we've made the finals by 0.5 of a percent and play the competitions biggest flat track bullies: Port Adelaide.

Now, I'll admit, I really ****ing hate Port. I consider them to be on par with Freo, but while the purples are a hilarious basket case and traditional rival, the Power make me sick to the stomach through their actions. I'm not here to rant though, so I'll (try) keep the hatespeech to a minimum.

Port Adelaide have won the last 3 in a row against Collingwood, the Bulldogs and Gold Coast, after receiving an expected belting from Adelaide in the local Showdown. While their supporters might make a case for this as "good form", Port are actually on a years long draught where they haven't won a single match against a top 8 team (Sydney, the Bulldogs and us don't count); in the meantime, they've made the finals off an easy draw and have a great percentage through their flat tracking. In comparison, we've beaten Adelaide, Geelong, had close losses to GWS and Richmond, and won against the Bulldogs twice (while they were in the 8). Additionally, Adelaide oval has proven to be a second home, where we are 3-0.

To put it simply, if we had Port's wins over awful teams and our current record against top 8 sides, we'd be top 4. That hasn't happened due to a combination of baffling MC decisions, coaching movements and no Nic Nat, but **** it, we're in the finals now, time for a fairytale run.

Selections:
#sackantbear has predicted the possible lineup for Port:
B: Byrne-Jones - Clurey - Hombsch
HB: Hartlett - Howard - Pittard
C: Polec - Ebert - Westhoff
HF: S Gray - Trengove - Boak
F: Wingard - Dixon - R Gray
R: Ryder - Wines - Powell-Pepper
Int: Neade - Broadbent - Amon - Houston

In: Trengove, Hombsch, Broadbent
Out: Marshall, Bonner, Johnson

Looks like a pretty competent lineup, with some names I have no idea about and SPP (**** you Rohan O'Brien). Our lineup should pretty much stay the same unless we want to bring in Wellingham for some added spice. He's been in fantastic form for EP, so he could come in for Hutchings to tag or Partington as an experienced body. You'd assume he wouldn't be played out of position like he was against Carlton, but the MC is anything but consistent.

Nic's been ruled out entirely, so expect to see him next week.

Additionally, Ant Bear had a go at our selections.
In: Naitanui, Masten
Out: Partington, Vardy

Seems legit.

He's also as confused about "Late 2017" as FiveStrings is:
"The big intrigue is NicNat. Listed on their website as a "Late 2017" return, it doesn't get any later than this. If he's ready, he'll play (I'm not too across the Eagles updates, so happy to be corrected here) Otherwise, they've run happily with Vardy all season, along with Petrie's support."

As a little sidenote, here's Fivey's 20th attempt at getting some transparency:

Our lineup could look like this:
B: MacKenzie - Barass - Sheppard
HB: Hurn - McGovern - Yeo
C: Gaff - Mitchell - Jetta
HF: Redden - Darling - Cripps
F: Petrie - Kennedy - LeCras
R: Vardy - Priddis - Shuey
Int: Sheed - Duggan - Wellingham - Partington

I'd back that in against the flat trackers.

Key Matchups:
* Vardy/Petrie Vs Ryder/Trengove:
We have no chance here. Vardy/Petrie will most likely be towelled up by a Ryder in AA form, so the best we can hope for is a knee to the ribs and both of our recruits keeping him from being BOG.​

* Darling Vs Howard:
I have no idea who Dougal Howard is; he was the 56th pick in 2014 and has so far played 6 games in 3 seasons, a real unknown quantity at this stage. He's either in some decent form as a youngster, or staring as one of the youth Port turned to after the Adelaide loss. I'd assume it's the former, as in Ant Bear's own words, Howard "has the pace and endurance to go with Darling, who is a perennial finals and away game under performer anyway". That's some pretty severe underrating of our second forward, so I'd say it's safe to assume he'll be destroyed by a resurgent Darling.​

* Kennedy Vs Clurey:
Tom Clurey is a young defender from Victoria picked at number 29 in 2011. So far, he's only played 40 games since 2014, with 22 coming this year as a permeant fixture in Port's back six. Like Howard, I have no idea he is, so here's Ant Bear's description: "TC's biggest test yet, on the big stage against a dual Coleman Medallist who is coming off an inaccurate performance vs the Crows. JK rarely puts in 2 bad ones in a row, and never misses against Port, so the challenge is to make sure he has to get the ball at distance or at width. This is why I would expect Hombsch to be recalled, to help Tommy quell the biggest danger to progressing."​

* Our Midfield Vs Port's and SPP:
Enough has been said about Sustin Powell-Martin, but I won't hide my true feelings about the selection; I was, and still am, extremely disappointed we didn't pick him. Venenables may come good, but I just can't shake the feeling Rohan O'Brien stuffed up again.​

Anyway, our midfield of Shuey the ****ing Shue, Mitchell, domo's reason for living, Hutchings, Sheed, Redden and co has ran into a bit of form recently. While we were smashed in the clearances and overall disposals against Adelaide (as is expected when the opposing ruckman dominates), we still won the contested possession count on the way to a 29 point win. Our tackling has also been up in recent works, with Simmo employing a game plan more focused on manning up then zoning. Will it stand up against the flat trackers midfield? I'd say yes.​

Port's midfield isn't shy to finals action, so experience won't really play a part in the result. However, Mitchell will be in his element come Saturday; expect a dominant performance from him.​

Overall, we should be focusing on dampening Ryder's influence as he projects as our biggest threat.​

* Mackenzie Vs Dixon:
Dixon has been in fine form this year, booting 49 goals and leading the comp in contested marks. Last time we played, he kicked five on Barrass (if I remember correctly) and was massive in flat tracking against us after the MC effectively cost us the game. However, we have an inform Mackenzie back, and I trust he will be able to limit the influence of the Port spearhead. Hell, Dixon might even be a bit overawed by his first final, so you never know.​

* Sheppard Vs Gray:
As has become common place this season, expect to see Shep dominate the slightly better Gray again. In all seriousness though, Robbie could provide a serious threat if left unchecked, so Shep will need to keep a tight watch.
* Elliot Yeo Vs Everyone:
Our current GOAT will probably get the job on Chad Wingard, but I expect Yeo might be swung everywhere depending on the occasion. Hopefully he'll stay in his best position at HBF.​

Prediction:
**** Port.

West Coast by 24 points.

Last edited:

hombch out for the season so change your predicted port side. He would have also got the Jk match up.

its gonna be close to 10 years since port beat us in the QF and we lost a bunch of stars during the game to injury.

its gonna be close to 10 years since port beat us in the QF and we lost a bunch of stars during the game to injury.
please dont open old wounds. seeing cousins in the change rooms with that injured hamstring still makes me sick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our lineup could look like this:
B: MacKenzie - Barass - Sheppard
HB: Hurn - McGovern - Yeo
C: Gaff - Mitchell - Jetta
HF: Redden - Darling - Cripps
F: Petrie - Kennedy - LeCras
R: Vardy - Priddis - Shuey
Int: Sheed - Duggan - Wellingham - Cripps
So Cripps' clone and W'Ham in for Party-time and Hutch? Seems legit.

Great write-up op (not)

I still expect to flat track bully you given you're not a true top 8 team

upload_2017-8-31_10-10-23.png

effr82.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2nd Elimination Final: West Coast Vs Port Adelaide

Back