Preview 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Friday 9th October, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Tigers

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 55 51.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing would be better than knocking Richmond out in straight sets.

If we can play fast and just keep running, then we are every chance despite what the odds say.

Need a few more than ten tackles in a half I’d say. Pressure and speed.

What makes it worse about losing that group of players is that they are some of our most physically tough players which we need to beat a team like Richmond who play a tough physical brand of footy.

I still think we can beat them but losing those players turns it from what would've been a 60/40 game in their favour to more like an 80/20 game in their favour.

You would think losing to Brisbane would have knocked some of the arrogance out of Richmond supporters but most of them are still carrying on like their team are world beaters that just had an off night or were robbed by the umpires, it would be hilarious if we beat them as well and knocked them out in straight sets.

You need to outrun Richmond and keep them from playing on their terms. If they can move the ball quickly up the field by handballing they will kill us. We won't get to the player before the ball is moved on if they do. We need to kick long and direct and try to pressure them before they take the ball. Clean skills and moving to space make life hard for them. We have to play for each other.

I’m really looking forward to this one. I think this group play for each other and have plenty to prove.
Will be a good game

I’m beginning to trust them now to go all out. They are not going to be thinking what they’ve done so far is good enough. I think they’ve got the winning bug. They may not pull it off, but I tell you something, we won’t die wondering.

You have been an absolute bloody sad sack today. First you don't rate our rucks outside of Marshall and Ryder (which im positive you wrote Marshall off early last year and Ryder off early this year). Then you have been slagging off hanners and Hill saying how much of a drain on the cap they are.

I'm completely unsure if you even realise we are playing finals for the first time in 9 years. Absolutely amazing. I mean I get that everyone has a right to whinge, but constantly??? You sound like the type of person that finds 20k and still complains about having it...

Yeah, I hate it when people complain that their wallet is dragging their arse down. First world problems and all 🙄

You need to outrun Richmond and keep them from playing on their terms. If they can move the ball quickly up the field by handballing they will kill us. We won't get to the player before the ball is moved on if they do. We need to kick long and direct and try to pressure them before they take the ball. Clean skills and moving to space make life hard for them. We have to play for each other.

They talked about some of the tactics Brisbane used to beat Richmond on On The Couch last night and fast direct ball movement was one of them as well as keeping their forwards deep so it made it harder for the Richmond defenders like Grimes and Balta to drop back into space to take intercept marks against them.

They also pointed out how well the Brisbane defenders covered the Richmond forwards but they didn't have Lynch to deal with like our defenders will, a big difference between covering Riewoldt and Chol compared to covering Riewoldt and Lynch.

He didn't impress me when he played...

But I think Ryan Abbott has to come in. It allows Marshall to get fwd and impact. We can't let King go up against Grimes, Balta and Astbury in the air.

Our only chance is efficient entries to 15m out and a mark or crumb. Which I can't see happening without Marshall down there helping King
God no.. how short are our memories? He was a serious handbrake when he played. Spent most of the time on the bench and was a liability.

All jokes aside, there is no way in hell Abbott plays.

When he played against the Hawks he was a million miles of the level and was murdered and non competitive in the ruck.
It was a shocking performance, he let them just walk it out of the centre.
Surely it's trolling suggesting he plays? He was beyond bad vs the Hawks. No way in hell does he play.

Abbott didn't exactly play like Nic Nat but he's a capable back up ruck. I think that was probably a pretty poor example of his work. I'd seen him play for the Cats and he looked okay to be honest. He's literally the kind you want as a back up, low wage, good enough if you've got no-one better to come in and will help train up the kids in the VFL. He's not Paddy but not many are.
I've seen him play for the Cats and the Saints and he is nowhere near AFL standard. Marshall is a weapon have we all forgotten how good he was as a solo ruckman last year? This Abbott stuff is complete madness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he is hinting at Brynes. Throw him in the deep end!

Byrnes has already made his debut against Adelaide and he was about as effective as Abbott was in his game against the Hawks, no way they select him.

Howard kicks it further
He does, but they knew that earlier in the year when Wilkie was taking them. I’d say that the marking targets of Marshall, King and Ryder have become so effective that they’ve changed from trying to hit up targets to just getting it as long as possible and giving the bigs a chance to grab it.

He does, but they knew that earlier in the year when Wilkie was taking them. I’d say that the marking targets of Marshall, King and Ryder have become so effective that they’ve changed from trying to hit up targets to just getting it as long as possible and giving the bigs a chance to grab it.

Yes the strategy has changed which meant they favour the player who can kick it further.

I think your clutching at straws for a Debut, he was talking about whoever it is coming into the side has the chance to make an impact, due to little to no exposed form in the H&A season. That person has the chance be another Marlon Pickett, come in and impact, not just make up the numbers

Gears was interviewed on 3aw just now.
Said Battle was running and looking ok. Will all depend on the training session.

Leigh Matthews was very complimentary about Membrey and the role he is playing up the ground and on the wings.

I think your clutching at straws for a Debut, he was talking about whoever it is coming into the side has the chance to make an impact, due to little to no exposed form in the H&A season. That person has the chance be another Marlon Pickett, come in and impact, not just make up the numbers

Agree.

Plus Marlion while debuting in the GF was almost 28. Plus whilea great GF, his games since have not had the same impact.

I would be stunned in we debuted say Clavarino or Bell when we have options such as Roberton or Marsh.

Of our younger players Bytel or Phillips would be a possibility.

If Long goes and Rats wants a like player then Savage or Webster would seem more likely.

Will Rats however perhaps try and increase the speed advantage that we already have over the Tigers? Hind a surprise in along with Marsh who is very quick, and Battle who while not quick is an elite runner who can run of Nankervis or the other taller Tigers who are all not that quick.

Parker could be a wildcard. But after bursting on to the scene has not been as impressive.

Rats I think will be tossing up on how tall our backline needs to be. Does he bring in Roberton or not? The other loss with Carlisle is just not his height, but also his experience. This could favour Roberton and Savage (who also has finals experience).

I could easily see the Carlisle/Ryder replacements as being Roberton and Battle.
  • Roberton is our best taller defender outside of the 22, and while Lynch is tall Riewoldt is only 193cm
  • Battle can just be used in so many ways- Follower around the ground, on Riewoldt, taking the Tiges intercept markers out, on the wing. If fit, he plays.
  • Marsh can play either end, but we a h ve more used him forward. He has the pace to exploit the the tall Tiger back none of whom are quick.
Geary I hope stays as a defensive forward and he just looks so much better there. So if Long stays out I would prefer that we do not use Geary to replace him.

WEATHER.

Gold Coast area
Mostly sunny morning. Slight (20%) chance of a shower in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Winds northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h turning northerly 20 to 30 km/h during the day then decreasing to 15 to 20 km/h during the evening.

So add rain to humidity and you get perhaps quite slippery conditions. This would favour more experienced ins, and perhaps the less tall. So again this may favour Roberton over taller but inexperienced team mates.

Selection night will be interesting.

Very tricky selection this week. If Long is out the obvious replacement is Savage - he's not the future but he's the most well-rounded and reliable small defender available.

Battle is a definite in if fit. We could either bring him in as the Carlisle replacement with Marsh coming in as a forward, or bring Battle in to play forward and Roberton to replace Carlisle. If Battle isn't fit then both come in.

With that said, given the focus on quick call movement being the key to beating Richmond I wouldn't be surprised to see Hind included. I like him as a player and it seems Ratts does as well - unfortunately his form tapered off to terrible after lighting it up earlier in the season.

I hope we don't end up with Coffield playing tall at any point. Howard takes Lynch all day and Wilkie/Battle should take Riewoldt. If it's Wilkie then we need to find an appropriate matchup for Dusty when forward. I'm hoping we keep Geary forward to mind Houli - our defense is far better without his poor disposal and he showed some pretty solid forward craft against the Dogs

In: Battle, Hind & Savage

Out: Carlisle, Ryder & Long

Marsh unlucky but I feel like we need to go fast/small - Steele to play more fwd to help out Skunk/King - prefer Battle but think he will be needed down back if we don’t go with Roberton

Not really confident in any of Roberton/Webster/Dunstan unfortunately due to match conditioning

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Battle Savage
Hill Steele Billings
Butler Membrey Hind
Lonie King Kent
Marshall Hannebery Clark
Ross Sinclair Jones Geary

(Marsh, Roberton, Dunstan, Webster)

Think we are a huge chance personally - will rewatch round 4 today :) but we need to bring the pressure especially fwd 50 tackles - Lonie/Kent/Hind/Butler really need to bring the heat

Go Saints!

Last edited:
If he doesn't come in this week then he is dead weight and should be delisted at years end which means we will have to be on the lookout for another ruck. Alabakis is also dead weight and Bell is years away and that's if he even makes it and he probably won't.

Why did we even draft him?
Have you even seen Bell , the kid is skinny but has plenty of talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back