Preview 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Friday 9th October, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Tigers

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 55 51.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too was expecting Long was no chance, but I honestly don’t get how the tribunal comes up with these decisions, are they sanctioning on the action itself, the result of it, or the intent. Considering McRae got up straight away and played the rest of the game, does that mean nothing anymore??. But Trent Cotchin can bump GWS’s best player high so that he’s out for the rest of the 2017 prelim final and get away scot free. I think the system overall is a massive joke and needs to be looked at what they’re actually going to suspend players for. Oh well.

Alternative Saints team ;), B. Wilkie Howard Savage, H.B. Roberton Webster Coffield, C. Hannebery Clark Hill, H.F. Butler Jack Bell Geary, F. King Membrey Lonie, Foll. Marshall Steele Jones, Inter. Billings, Paton, Ross, Sinclair

I hope that's a joke!

Ultimately, Long wasn’t going to be the difference either way. He’s probably the last picked out of small defenders. Worthy of a spot and would prefer him in the side, but he’s pretty replaceable.
It’s the Principle, not about whether he makes much difference or not
I too was expecting Long was no chance, but I honestly don’t get how the tribunal comes up with these decisions, are they sanctioning on the action itself, the result of it, or the intent. Considering McRae got up straight away and played the rest of the game, does that mean nothing anymore??. But Trent Cotchin can bump GWS’s best player high so that he’s out for the rest of the 2017 prelim final and get away scot free. I think the system overall is a massive joke and needs to be looked at what they’re actually going to suspend players for. Oh well.
Once again though. The AFL will only make a change after it ****s us.

Score review’s, Grand Final Replay’s and now tribunals.

The AFL have proven time and again that they don't give a stuff about precedents and being consistent in future decision making. They spin it which ever way they want.

I just hope they have a similar case in the next 2 weeks involving an A grader. It will be fun to watch them squirm their way through it whilst this ruling is still fresh in everyone's minds.

Personally, I blame Christian and the MRP. He instigates all this with his biased BS gradings in the first place. He manipulates the gradings to get a fine for name players and ups the ante for just about everyone else. The sooner he's gone the better. How many Collingwood players has he rubbed out since he's been in the job compared to giving them fines ? The stats would be interesting.

The AFL have proven time and again that they don't give a stuff about precedents and being consistent in future decision making. They spin it which ever way they want.

I just hope they have a similar case in the next 2 weeks involving an A grader. It will be fun to watch them squirm their way through it whilst this ruling is still fresh in everyone's minds.

Personally, I blame Christian and the MRP. He instigates all this with his biased BS gradings in the first place. He manipulates the gradings to get a fine for name players and ups the ante for just about everyone else. The sooner he's gone the better. How many Collingwood players has he rubbed out since he's been in the job compared to giving them fines ? The stats would be interesting.
You're exactly right. Once Christian graded it medium Long was stuffed. If he'd graded it low it wouldn't have even been questioned. But we know they don't like Long and wanted to make a point. The shame of it is he misses out on a semi final when other players are given lenience for finals.

The MRP has f’ed themselves over here, any tackle or bump could fall under this rule

"Could" - that's probably the point. Like the grey-area gameday rules, keep it ambiguous and then decide when to pull the trigger and when to let it go. Exactly the way they like it.

The problem is there is absolutely no accountability on suddenly bringing in "potential to cause injury" and repeating this mystery charge again.

No oversight, no consistency, just a bunch of arse clowns stroking their chins and saying "gee that didn't look good and he's been naughty before."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great article where Michael Christian explains the reason for the serious/high/medium/low force gradings on such incidents, in a strange weekend (July 2020) when 4 charges were given 4 different gradings. His justification for a 'low' grading for Marlion Pickett:

"Isaac Heeney went to ground, but was only down for two or three seconds – maybe four seconds max – but he was able to get up and play on. Taking into account his medical report, the player reaction and the visual look of the incident … we thought the most appropriate grading was low in that particular case."

Went to ground? Tick. Only down for 2-4 seconds? Tick. Player reaction? Tick. Nothing in medical report? Tick. So the only difference is "the visual look of the incident". How scientific! It's just the vibe of it, really... Amateur hour.

Last edited:
assuming battle is right to go.

out: Ryder, Carlisle, long
In: battle, Roberton, savage

b: Paton Howard Roberton
Hb: coffield Wilkie Clark
C: hill Steele billings
Hf: lonie Membrey butler
F: battle king Geary
Foll: Marshall Jones Hannebery
Int: Savage Ross Sinclair Kent

emer: Webster Dunstan marsh abbot

Battle to play forward to challenge the tigers, instead of concede with marsh. Battle will probably have to relieve ruck for 5 minutes a quarter and king while forward.

if battle doesn’t get up marsh comes in for him.

MFXNxC6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back