Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
here

Athens rocked by three explosions
May 5, 2004

THREE bombs have exploded at a police station in the Greek capital Athens, Reuters news services have reported.

Casualties and damage caused by the blasts are not yet clear.

Authorities received an anonymous warning that the three devices would be detonated at the station.

There has been increasing concern over the terror threat in the Mediterranean country as it prepares to host the Olympics later this year.

thats terrible news, i hope the casualties are minimal. Those terrorists better not ruin the games, not just 4 the greeks who pride themselves on it, but also the rest of the world. Anyone know who may be responsible 4 this? Well its sad especially since greece had nothing 2 do with the iraq war and the rest. Its just a small island country. The pressure down there in athens must be huge, i just pray the games r a success and that no innocent people lose their lives during the games.

this is bad news, but terrorists are more likely to get caught and not cause trouble if they target the olympics rather than other areas.

there had better be some bloody good protection for this years tour de france and also euro 2004 as well, the olympics aren't the only main event that could be targeted

Yep, tour de france, and euro 2004 which is in portugal also will be protected i hope. I just hope nothing hapends at all. Security spending is killing greece at the moment and if a 9/11 repeat occurs, then the country will never recover. It had 2 be terrorists outside of greece cos the november 17 terrorist group in greece was captured last year so thats destroyed. I dont think anyone was killed so thats ok but still not good not only 4 greece but also 4 the other high profiled events in europe this year.

Originally posted by Ted Pellitts
this is bad news, but terrorists are more likely to get caught and not cause trouble if they target the olympics rather than other areas.

If there suicide bombers then that is going to matter unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Bobby Giovanni
There is no way known Athens will be ready in time. My mate returned from Athens last week, and his photos and video footage of the proposed sites are absolutely hilarious.

lol sounds like a shambles! can u post any pics on here?

It will go ahead and it will be great. First 60 minutes come up with a ridiculous report on the games last sunday, and all the news channels today had the bomb blasts at the top of there bulletins. Why is it that Australia is the only country that is going all out against greece. Dont believe the media here, the stadiums r only a month away from being complete. Everything will be fine as far as the games go but security may be a problem but its not greece's fault that terrorists r around, these terrorists are not always al qaeda, they could be november 17 from greece who were supposed 2 be captured or eta from spain or other european left wing terrorists groups. I mean its the first country thats had 2 contend with this serious issue of terrorism. I also heard that Australia may pull out if there security is guaranteed, that was said on channel nine. That would be plain stupid. I dont think the greeks care about what the australian media say about them because greece has the backing of all of europe so they can complain here all they like but the games in sydney have passed and its greece's turn now and it will be asia's turn after that so i think the criticism should be put on hold until after the games r done.
But i have a good feeling it will be a success and the australian media will be left red faced. Then again i may be wrong but at least all of this nonsence will stop in about 3 months time.

Originally posted by toulairene
It will go ahead and it will be great. First 60 minutes come up with a ridiculous report on the games last sunday, and all the news channels today had the bomb blasts at the top of there bulletins. Why is it that Australia is the only country that is going all out against greece. Dont believe the media here, the stadiums r only a month away from being complete. Everything will be fine as far as the games go but security may be a problem but its not greece's fault that terrorists r around, these terrorists are not always al qaeda, they could be november 17 from greece who were supposed 2 be captured or eta from spain or other european left wing terrorists groups. I mean its the first country thats had 2 contend with this serious issue of terrorism. I also heard that Australia may pull out if there security is guaranteed, that was said on channel nine. That would be plain stupid. I dont think the greeks care about what the australian media say about them because greece has the backing of all of europe so they can complain here all they like but the games in sydney have passed and its greece's turn now and it will be asia's turn after that so i think the criticism should be put on hold until after the games r done.
But i have a good feeling it will be a success and the australian media will be left red faced. Then again i may be wrong but at least all of this nonsence will stop in about 3 months time.

how predictable you would be here. nice work

well this nonsence has 2 end somewhere. I dont know why people take pride in other countries problems. But just like they did the turks, they will prove everyone wrong. U will see.

Originally posted by toulairene
well this nonsence has 2 end somewhere. I dont know why people take pride in other countries problems. But just like they did the turks, they will prove everyone wrong. U will see.

Don't know about the turks bizzo. ??
You're right, it's like Sydney's been waiting for the nearest failure to jump right back into the spotlight.

I don't want another Sydney Olympics. Shut the bloody bastards up for once. I want to see Athens do this.

Well turks was the independence war. Anyway it upsets me hearing people wanting 2 put pics up of athens not being ready and making fun of them. The games r gonna go ahead and they will be great. I mean whats the point of all of this? why say something when u know u may very well end up with egg on your face. Just let the games go ahead and then comment after the games. But i swear the media down here is making me sick.

Well sadly i believe the reason y greece r getting it from the australian media is 4 that very reason of australia holding the best games ever. I can guarantee that they want it 2 be a failure so people can say " oh the sydney olympics was so much better then the athens games" please grow up, if i knew it would be like this i would have preferred greece not having the games, regardless of what anyone says, the games had 2 at some stage return to there birthplace. Its as simple as that. The australian television stations better get there act together otherwise the greek public here in oz will get very annoyed because its becoming a bit repetitive. I hope athens turns it on just so those moron free 2 air stations shut the hell up. 60 minutes " greek disaster" give me a break channel nine. I bet if this occured over in america the media would be pretty defensive of there bum buddies. Anyway the point is that this garbage in the media has 2 end, i have seen the stadiums as of yesterday and they will b completed in 1 month which although doesnt meet the deadlines of the ioc, it will be ready 4 the games without a fuss.

have a sook why dont u! i have no real interest in the olympics and it would be funny if it wasnt ready haha. especially cos it will annoy YOU! :eek:

we dont sook like u mate, mate its gonna be ready and ur gonna feel like crap when u know u were wrong. Once more ur 1 of those racist pricks. U dont have interest in the olympics cos ur favourite countries arent hosting it thats y. it wouldnt annoy me 1 bit if they weren't ready but ur just a bit of a moron. Only an arseh*le can laugh at another country before a big event. Greece will shut morons like u up. Y cant u be an aussie? ha, y do u have 2 be a ********. ATHENA 100 DAYS 2 GO. Some advice 2 u evade, if u dont have interest in the olympics keep ur fat mouth shut and stop asking 4 people 2 give u pics of half fixed stadiums. Actually just shut up. Believe it or not there r people here that want the games 2 b a success, ur just 1 of those jealous few who will feel sick inside there bodies when the games r great.

Nothing about the lighting of the flame at olympus
nothing about the origin of the olympics where it all began
Nothing about greece itself

Its more like this:
Greece security under fire
" greek tragedy" stadiums look disastrous
greece this, greece that

There's a minority of selfish people in this country, small minority but annoying minoriyty at the same time, like the media who have nothing else 2 say, like evade who is jealous.

There use 2 be a rule that no matter who hosts the olympics, ur suppose 2 support it, bomb blast goes off in greece, " oh greeks r bad they cant organise anything" bomb blast goes off in atlanta " oh its ok they r americans they r the best nothing will stop them"

The problem is that there r a few narrow minded people that ruin it 4 everyone

I dare channel nine 2 show something on the beautiful greek islands prior 2 the olympics. " OH YEAH CANT DO THAT, THATS SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT THE COUNTRY, LETS SHOW THE STADIUMS THAT LOOK TERRIBLE"

Honestly makes me feel sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back