AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely in that case the scouting/recruiting department has to shoulder some of the responsibility?

Not necessarily - Facts are recruiters get selections wrong - Parish wouldn't have slipped much further than 5 in the draft.

I don’t have an all-encompassing view on our development capability but from afar Parish has always struck me as very self-motivated and driven, the type who fulfills their talent and has a good career....so it really surprises me that this is where he’s at and leads me to think that in his case, maybe the club hasn’t got it right.

Then again, maybe I have misjudged Parish.

Development doesn't happen from a playbook listed from A to Z ,or all players say drafted after pick 40 or 50 would be duds, which we know isn't true - Everything Parish did in junior footy indicated he would be a very good standard AFL player, and this is still the likely scenario after this speed bump.

Development doesn't happen from a playbook listed from A to Z ,or all players say drafted after pick 40 or 50 would be duds, which we know isn't true - Everything Parish did in junior footy indicated he would be a very good standard AFL player, and this is still the likely scenario after this speed bump.
I agree with all of that, was clear in previous post that I don’t have a view on development broadly at the club. Just think it’s strange that he finds himself in this position at this stage of his career.

Should be really starting to emerge and instead finds himself dropped for the first time to VFL. He’ll get through it but it’s less than ideal.

We can't be too disappointed with the ommision of Darcy. Form is only temporary, class is permanent.

We know what he can bring and he will turn it around in due course. Just get his hands on the footy 20 - 30 times again. Will run rings around some of the guys in the VFL so will be back in the seniors in no time.

I am tired of that argument. Blame the club for a players failures....

Why doesn’t he take a look at himself.

The players are part of the club. And it is the club as a whole that's struggling at the moment.

I don't think when someone blames the club they're taking all the blame off individual players.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05...op-10-picks-in-2015-shaping-to-be-a-disaster/

Looks like Parish is a failure guys, according to Kornes. Delist him at the end of the year?

"Other players taken in the 2015 draft after Parish and Francis include Jacob Hopper (pick 7), Harry McKay (pick 10), Charlie Curnow (pick 12), Matthew Kennedy (pick 13), Eric Hipwood (pick 14), Daniel Rioli (pick 15) and Ryan Burton (pick 19)"

We would have been better taking Kennedey, because he's so good that he got dropped from Carlton. Or Hopper, even though GWS would have matched our bid. Or Mckay whose 3 games have been better than Parish's 40+ games.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05...op-10-picks-in-2015-shaping-to-be-a-disaster/

Looks like Parish is a failure guys, according to Kornes. Delist him at the end of the year?

"Other players taken in the 2015 draft after Parish and Francis include Jacob Hopper (pick 7), Harry McKay (pick 10), Charlie Curnow (pick 12), Matthew Kennedy (pick 13), Eric Hipwood (pick 14), Daniel Rioli (pick 15) and Ryan Burton (pick 19)"

We would have been better taking Kennedey, because he's so good that he got dropped from Carlton. Or Hopper, even though GWS would have matched our bid. Or Mckay whose 3 games have been better than Parish's 40+ games.
None of those names have performed significantly better than Parish at this point.

People overlook the fact that Parish has already had two decent seasons under his belt and up until round 4 or 5 wasn't playing that badly either. There are those, like Kane Cornes it seems, who are itching for the kid to fail and can't wait to prematurely write articles like this.

Parish has alot of work to do, but he's a third year player that's already played 50 games. He's a long way from being a disaster.

Jacob Hopper probably would have been a better big strong mid instead we go for the vanila/outside player in Parish.
Jacob Hopper the GWS academy player or was there another Jacob Hopper in the draft that we could have had?

Don't mean to be snarky, but there's nothing to gain by pining over what we never could have had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been wanting to see him play VFL to measure him against Langford and the other mids.

What I saw didn't surprise me at all. He got the ball but he didn't have much of an impact and there was nothing that suggested that he was a class above.

Admittedly it was one game but I'm now genuinely querying whether he'll be best 22 in the future.

Honestly, Trent Mynott plays that well (just a little less prolifically which is not surprising given that Mynott is still in his first 5 VFL games and hasn't done three AFL pre seasons).

As much as Laverde is in a slump at the moment he dominates VFL games even when half fit, he's clearly a class above and Langford was also getting to that level. Obviously Parish has runs on the board in the AFL but that's largely because he has been a kid whose performances should have been rewarded as they were.

I'm not sure that I see what Parish's game grows into. If we are going to see what his game will grow into, it should be on display in the VFL, where he's not still a boy playing among men, which is why I think that his next few games will be really telling.

Last edited:
I Would guess Parish still comes straight back in.I can't imagine he get's 29 only to stay another week in the VFL.

When we say "didn't have much of an impact", do we mean like Tom Mitchell getting 50 touches and "not having much of an impact" or did he shank every disposal he had? Admittedly I didn't watch our 2's play but I can't see how you can have 29 touches without "having an impact" unless you're guilty of a diabolical disposal efficiency.

When we say "didn't have much of an impact", do we mean like Tom Mitchell getting 50 touches and "not having much of an impact" or did he shank every disposal he had? Admittedly I didn't watch our 2's play but I can't see how you can have 29 touches without "having an impact" unless you're guilty of a diabolical disposal efficiency.

Redman was breaking stoppages apart in the third and running with the ball, kicking bullets.

Parish was basically playing like he does at AFL level where he's solid on the outside but is really just scrapping on the inside. He should be better than that.

Tom Mitchell is actually starting to play like his name sake, and the player he's replace, in the way they he's basically a play maker setting the game up from congestion. It's completely different whether he's getting 50 touches or 29.

I've been wanting to see him play VFL to measure him against Langford and the other mids.

What I saw didn't surprise me at all. He got the ball but he didn't have much of an impact and there was nothing that suggested that he was a class above.

Admittedly it was one game but I'm now genuinely querying whether he'll be best 22 in the future.

Honestly, Trent Mynott plays that well (just a little less prolifically which is not surprising given that Mynott is still in his first 5 VFL games and hasn't done three AFL pre seasons).

As much as Laverde is in a slump at the moment he dominates VFL games even when half fit, he's clearly a class above and Langford was also getting to that level. Obviously Parish has runs on the board in the AFL but that's largely because he has been a kid whose performances should have been rewarded as they were.

I'm not sure that I see what Parish's game grows into. If we are going to see what his game will grow into, it should be on display in the VFL, where he's not still a boy playing among men, which is why I think that his next few games will be really telling.
Cousins style winger/outside mid for mine.

His kicking has been off this year, but he can generally weight them quite nicely or get a quick snap off when pressing forward.
Another one who may need 3 or 4 weeks to regain touch after a terrible start to the year

Cousins style winger/outside mid for mine.

His kicking has been off this year, but he can generally weight them quite nicely or get a quick snap off when pressing forward.
Another one who may need 3 or 4 weeks to regain touch after a terrible start to the year

Well he's going to need to triple his running power to be that.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back