AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it interesting that someone who usually has a higher tolerance than most for trading out decent players that might net us something in return and enable us to re-balance and improve the list seems pretty dead against the idea of trading Hobbs.

To me another small inside mid without much flexibility to his game doesn't really compliment the mix, and we could use that currency to address glaring holes in the list. What do you see in Hobbs that makes you want us to hold on to him? Not having a crack by the way, genuinely interested.
How many genuinely physical players do we have ? He may be small but he is physical. Short bulls can be as effective as tall bulls.
We are a team that is generally rated as soft. He is not. He has his limitations but he also has 10 years of football left.
He is a guy they have picked pretty much all the time even if is out of position.
There was also the fact that Gresham looked better earlier in the season when Hobbs was playing high forward.
Shiel has one year left if he doesn’t get looked at by someone else. Hobbs is better long term than Setterfield.
Hobbs could easily be playing every week next year.

What is the difference between parish now and the parish that was all Australian and BOG in all the big games that year? Obviously he has had injury issues the last few years but can we get him anywhere near that again?
The main issues I have with him is that as soon as he gets physical contact he just blind hand passes it

What is the difference between parish now and the parish that was all Australian and BOG in all the big games that year? Obviously he has had injury issues the last few years but can we get him anywhere near that again?
The main issues I have with him is that as soon as he gets physical contact he just blind hand passes it
Role is the major reason. That season he played around 100 minutes sometimes more as a a no defence go to mid. He’s very good a finding the ball and he basically chased kicks. We also had a few injuries and our midfield depth was pretty bare.

I have no doubt parish would get 40 in the same role tomorrow, but unfortunately there are two sides of footy

Still think a big body stud mid would make a huge difference to Parish, Merrett etc. Seems we can never get one
So Caldwell or Durham get the chop so Parish can get someone to block for him.

Still think a big body stud mid would make a huge difference to Parish, Merrett etc. Seems we can never get one

Instead of making excuses for him just see him for what he is, a small inside midfielder who lacks toughness, competitiveness and skill. Basically an old school accumulator. Could plug anyone into his role and get a similar or better output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems classic definition of sunk cost.
With sunk costs you… assess the value if you walk away versus continue.

For Parish - he’s had a couple of injury ridden years, not performing at best. He’s at a low. Been an AA so has upside even if those lofty heights may be remote.

Do you sell low OR because he will “likely” have a better year, contribute more &/or raise his value? Which has more upside?

Not that I think any of this is relevant.
  • Club values him - enough to hand out a contract that was probably too long and
  • no indication he wants to leave…

With sunk costs you… assess the value if you walk away versus continue.

For Parish - he’s had a couple of injury ridden years, not performing at best. He’s at a low. Been an AA so has upside even if those lofty heights may be remote.

Do you sell low OR because he will “likely” have a better year, contribute more &/or raise his value? Which has more upside?

Not that I think any of this is relevant.
  • Club values him - enough to hand out a contract that was probably too long and
  • no indication he wants to leave…

See I think where it gets tricky is that same logic profile applies to multiple small mids (Parish, Sheil, Hobbs) and you can only really fit 1 in the best 22.

Playing VFL will further depress player value. So at some point you have to see which of those 3 has the highest value to gain staying on the team and move on the others

See I think where it gets tricky is that same logic profile applies to multiple small mids (Parish, Sheil, Hobbs) and you can only really fit 1 in the best 22.

Playing VFL will further depress player value. So at some point you have to see which of those 3 has the highest value to gain staying on the team and move on the others
That is true…
One is the clear oldest and should be the focus of any planning to exit.

Instead of making excuses for him just see him for what he is, a small inside midfielder who lacks toughness, competitiveness and skill. Basically an old school accumulator. Could plug anyone into his role and get a similar or better output.
isn't ldu just a bigger version of Parish?
He's he must be shit then. Probably the worst player to pull on a jumper if he's like parish.
There's some impressive would have beens on this board

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back