Senior 3. Jesse Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

He has some similarity’s to SPS in disposal and elusiveness makes time with ball in hand
But looks to have an extra 15-20 meters on his kicking and a bit more pace looks to have good acceleration not a huge top end speed but still handy
Honey has great top end speed McGovern is very good Cunningham also
Betts didn’t have top end pace so not sure it’s needed for a small forward
But those that have it Honey can use it out the back they can just run to the goal line to kick a goal
Interesting looking character really looking forward to seeing him play what his style is beyond highlights

He has some similarity’s to SPS in disposal and elusiveness makes time with ball in hand
But looks to have an extra 15-20 meters on his kicking and a bit more pace looks to have good acceleration not a huge top end speed but still handy
Honey has great top end speed McGovern is very good Cunningham also
Betts didn’t have top end pace so not sure it’s needed for a small forward
But those that have it Honey can use it out the back they can just run to the goal line to kick a goal
Interesting looking character really looking forward to seeing him play what his style is beyond highlights

I reckon you're mistaken re our Mr Betts!

I reckon you're mistaken re our Mr Betts!

Sure but he lacked the stamina to display it in anything other than a short burst.
Eddie wasn't exactly known for burning players off, more for creating a little separation for himself to dispose of the ball.

You were talking about "top end speed".
No, the post that you've responded to is my first on the topic, so I assume that you're getting posters mixed up.
I'm merely highlighting that speed can be viewed differently - nobody would argue that Eddie would be quick over say, 20 metres, however it's doubtful that he'd be winning many races beyond that.

No, the post that you've responded to is my first on the topic, so I assume that you're getting posters mixed up.
I'm merely highlighting that speed can be viewed differently - nobody would argue that Eddie would be quick over say, 20 metres, however it's doubtful that he'd be winning many races beyond that.

i responded to Azlou's post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kid seems promising, here's to hoping he exceeds our expectations

Oh you had to go there ...

Given the weight of expectation and unfair criticism of few of our first round/top picks in recent years (aka Dow and LOB), I am hoping for common sense rationale and patience from our fanbase, I wouldn't be surprised of disappointed if he spent a good chunk of his first season with us in the VFL.

Small forward/midfield types like Shai Bolton (which I truly hope Jesse can evolve to as a a
Player) often take a couple of years of seasoning before they become game changing /elite players.

I am no draft or player expert, but I do think patience is required with Motlop, I am not sure he is an already made gun like say Kozi Pickett, happy for him to take his time to develop and grow at his own pace without needless supporter expectation.

Don't get me wrong, from all reports I have read and footage I have seen, Mots will be a fantastic player for us, but I am not sure he is going to have an immediate impact.

I want him to find his feet and be comfortable with the rigours of AFL level footy without the weight of immediate gratification from impatient supporters.

Given the weight of expectation and unfair criticism of few of our first round/top picks in recent years (aka Dow and LOB), I am hoping for common sense rationale and patience from our fanbase, I wouldn't be surprised of disappointed if he spent a good chunk of his first season with us in the VFL.

Small forward/midfield types like Shai Bolton (which I truly hope Jesse can evolve to as a a
Player) often take a couple of years of seasoning before they become game changing /elite players.

I am no draft or player expert, but I do think patience is required with Motlop, I am not sure he is an already made gun like say Kozi Pickett, happy for him to take his time to develop and grow at his own pace without needless supporter expectation.

Don't get me wrong, from all reports I have read and footage I have seen, Mots will be a fantastic player for us, but I am not sure he is going to have an immediate impact.

I want him to find his feet and be comfortable with the rigours of AFL level footy without the weight of immediate gratification from impatient supporters.
Sorry, there will only ever be one Mots. Can we use a different nickname please? It's (still) too soon.

Sorry, there will only ever be one Mots. Can we use a different nickname please? It's (still) too soon.

Sorry friend and I agree , what was I thinking ?

The J-Train sounds alright to me but contradicts my previous post about lowering expectations on the lad.

I am not very good at giving out nicknames, so will allow others to do it instead

Sorry friend and I agree , what was I thinking ?

The J-Train sounds alright to me but contradicts my previous post about lowering expectations on the lad.

I am not very good at giving out nicknames, so will allow others to do it instead

Given where the last "train" ended up,, I think the club would be wise to steer clear of locomotive references for a while.;)

2022 slogan: "Carlton - we'll just walk there thanks."

Last edited:
Walsh only had 235 posts at the same stage.

But we all know the slow start he had to his career.... :p
Of course there were those who described Walsh as "vanilla", so that probably detracted from his post count. My wife has always been a big fan of vanilla. I don't know where I'm going with this. I blame the rum, which apparently has undertones of vanilla flavour.

I think he’s actually ahead of Kosi Pickett at the same age.

At the time Kosi was seen as a bit of a reach and was taken to fill a specific role, and after 2019 small forwards with strong defensive capabilities came into vogue following the success of Richmond and their set of smalls in the front half.

Plus Melbourne had made the prelim the year before and had the luxury of picking for need and brought in a couple of high upside players (Jackson at 3) to compliment their list.

Probably splitting hairs, but Motlop already has the body shape and IMO is better offensively than Kosi was in his draft year.

I think he’s actually ahead of Kosi Pickett at the same age.

At the time Kosi was seen as a bit of a reach and was taken to fill a specific role, and after 2019 small forwards with strong defensive capabilities came into vogue following the success of Richmond and their set of smalls in the front half.

Plus Melbourne had made the prelim the year before and had the luxury of picking for need and brought in a couple of high upside players (Jackson at 3) to compliment their list.

Probably splitting hairs, but Motlop already has the body shape and IMO is better offensively than Kosi was in his draft year.

Always helps - for any player - to walk into a strong team, let alone one with a strong midfield.

Jesse will have that luxury too thankfully - but still needs to prove he's better (eg to play Rd 1) than a Durdin, Owies, Honey type.....

Let's presume there are two SF spots available.

A fit Fisher gets one imo (though still want to see him in the middle), the other spot is up for grabs.

One thing that Jesse does have in spades, is self-confidence. This will help him so much, to adapt to the professional life of an AFL player. How many games he gets next year is anybody's guess, however I really hope he plays more than ten. Most likely can only play two small-forwards each week. Owies was decent this year, but can he improve much? Durdin, looks to have a lot of upside. Honey looks the goods and should come on nicely. Certainly going to be a very hotly contested position for us this coming season, at least we should have plenty of goal kickers in our VFL team every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 3. Jesse Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back