Senior 3. Jesse Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh you had to go there ...

Given the weight of expectation and unfair criticism of few of our first round/top picks in recent years (aka Dow and LOB), I am hoping for common sense rationale and patience from our fanbase, I wouldn't be surprised of disappointed if he spent a good chunk of his first season with us in the VFL.

Small forward/midfield types like Shai Bolton (which I truly hope Jesse can evolve to as a a
Player) often take a couple of years of seasoning before they become game changing /elite players.

I am no draft or player expert, but I do think patience is required with Motlop, I am not sure he is an already made gun like say Kozi Pickett, happy for him to take his time to develop and grow at his own pace without needless supporter expectation.

Don't get me wrong, from all reports I have read and footage I have seen, Mots will be a fantastic player for us, but I am not sure he is going to have an immediate impact.

I want him to find his feet and be comfortable with the rigours of AFL level footy without the weight of immediate gratification from impatient supporters.

Yes, except I kept it to one short sentence :p

Not to mention Jack Martin. Lots of threats in the air and on the ground. Hopefully they do their work on set shot goal kicking to make the most of the opportunities.
I'd actually be more inclined to use Martin in there instead of JSOS.
Durdin, McKay, Motlop
Martin, Curnow, Honey
A little bit more of a traditional setup of 2 x talls, 2 x smalls and 2 x medium/general forwards. Honey and Martin capable of pushing up the ground a bit, as is Charlie. Durdin and Motlop with the forward 50 defensive pressure.
Still leaves Owies, Fish Gov, OMac, Fog as backup.

Use JSOS as first off the bench. A Jack of all trades. Can relieve forwards, backs, mids and ruck (obviously the ruck thing isn't ideal and was out of necessity this year, but he's capable of short bursts).

Never retire a number EVER. It’s bullshit.
I like the idea in certain sports. It works in basketball, but they overdo it as well. Less players on the court and less on a side, but it will come to a point where they have to start "unretiring" numbers.
It doesn't work in AFL. 40+ listed players, 20+ playing each week. You'd run out of numbers much quicker (could you imagine how many numbers Carlton would retire retrospectively if we brought this in? And multiple players for each number!). I like the legacy of passing a number/locker onto the next generation so that they can make their mark on on the game and/or get their name on the locker.

I reckon you're mistaken re our Mr Betts!

Real eye opener on how slow we are, all 5 listed Melbourne players are faster than our fastest measured players. Motlop might fit in sooner rather than later this being the case. We have a need for speed!

Real eye opener on how slow we are, all 5 listed Melbourne players are faster than our fastest measured players. Motlop might fit in sooner rather than later this being the case. We have a need for speed!

Those stats (which are from 2020) show where we lacked but I think the club was aware of our lack of speed.

Saad had our max speed in 2021 of 35.7km which is faster then any of the Melbourne players in 2020. I’m sure Williams isn’t a slouch either.

Perspective. Those were 2020 stats designed to favour one E. Betts. Dig up the 2021 figures then come back to us. The obvious one with your dated figures is Saad.

Perspective. Those were 2020 stats designed to favour one E. Betts. Dig up the 2021 figures then come back to us. The obvious one with your dated figures is Saad.

There you go, yes you would think that we would have added some pace since 2020. Definitely an area we need to improve on and hopefully some of our new inclusions do that for us.

Top five fastest players in 2021

Adam Saad 35.75km/h
Mitch McGovern 34.70
Jack Martin 34.22
David Cuningham 33.98
Josh Honey 33.84

Top five fastest players in 2021

Jayden Hunt 35.24km/h
Kysaiah Pickett 34.56
Alex Neal-Bullen 33.95
Ed Langdon 33.91
Christian Salem 33.80

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's had enough good games in the VFL to suggest he might go alright in the AFL. Playing as a forward in the seniors, you would hope his team mates are better at getting the ball to him so he might go alright. I think if he uses his pace both ways and competes really hard it will come to him and he'll play well.

Contrats Motlop for making the team!

I had him in the best 22 prior to RD1... now, I'm thrilled to see him in action in the seniors.
C'mon Motlop - show us some flair and make the small forward your position :D

Voss gave him some great motivation:

Voss: Hey Jesse, if you don't beat Adam Saad in a race over 30m - consider yourself delisted.

Good luck! I think you'll end up to be what we hope SPS would of been.
Samo has been played by West Coast on the wing,i think he has played 4 games so far and probably on their fringe,he has not been very effective for them,still mainly just chipping the ball around all be it very nicely and all..
Motlop appears very young and somewhat powerful in his build...good luck !!,its competitive now so he will have to find the ball and kick a goal or two👈

Last edited:
C'mon Motlop - show us some flair and make the small forward your position :D
Sounds like Motlop has been equally or more impressive up the ground than he has been up forward.

Although playing forward pocket / small forward at VFL level can be a very tough gig at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back