30 round season proposals are back

Remove this Banner Ad

I think keep everything the same except add another 4 rounds and scrap the nab cup, it doesnt mean anything and would make the draw a bit fairer. If you want to you could even throw in another split round to make up for the week break at the end of the NAB cup

After 15 Rounds, dump the bottom 8, then the top 8 play again at reverse venues, coming into the old McIntyre Final Four system

After 15 Rounds comes the Mid-Season break, which includes SOO week...

If you keep the pre-season cup, make it under 23's or under 25's, something like that.

But, if you want to scrap it, make it 30 rounds, but not 30 weeks. 2 Games every 10 to 12 days, averaged out over the season. everyone plays twice, space out the interstate games. Obviously lists would need to be extended, maybe benches as well. I just like to think outside the circle sometimes....

my ideal comp would be:

30 rounds over 26 weeks (no pre-season competition). Bring back mid week games, and a clause put into the collective bargaining agreement stating no player is to play more than 26 games during this time. This would make coaches forced into cleverly rotating players and should see some rookies and drafts get a chance when they otherwise might not have. Increase the main player lists to a minimum of 40 players, which could be subsidised by the revenue made from additional games.

Over the 26 weeks the following rounds would be scheduled:
10 rounds where there are 8 games as is the case now.
16 rounds where there are 2 games on a Friday night, those 4 teams than play 2 games - one on a Monday night and the next on a Tuesday night. Those teams then play the third team from that 4-team group on the Sunday of the next round.

because there's two extra games in each of those 16 rounds, that is equalled to 32 extra games which are the 32 games extra games to be made up by having 30 rounds over 26 weeks (4 x 8 = 32).

There would be 6 teams in the finals. Not sure what my ideal make up would be for that though but i'm thinking of it.

Black Thunder said:
my ideal comp would be:

30 rounds over 26 weeks (no pre-season competition). Bring back mid week games, and a clause put into the collective bargaining agreement stating no player is to play more than 26 games during this time. This would make coaches forced into cleverly rotating players and should see some rookies and drafts get a chance when they otherwise might not have. Increase the main player lists to a minimum of 40 players, which could be subsidised by the revenue made from additional games.

16 rounds where there are 2 games on a Friday night, those 4 teams than play 2 games - one on a Monday night and the next on a Tuesday night. Those teams then play the third team from that 4-team group on the Sunday of the next round.

because there's two extra games in each of those 16 rounds, that is equalled to 32 extra games which are the 32 games extra games to be made up by having 30 rounds over 26 weeks (4 x 8 = 32).

There would be 6 teams in the finals. Not sure what my ideal make up would be for that though but i'm thinking of it.

that is the stupidest idea I ever heard, by sunday, those teams wouldn't have anymore players left to run around the park :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Black Thunder said:
my ideal comp would be:

that would be the stupidest thing iv ever heard, the standard of play would drop, players would struggle to play 200 games because of increased work load on the body. I take it you are an premier league fan; the mid week games work in soccer because the game isn't as phyiscaly demanding is ours, your suggestion is stupid and this will never happen.

if rugby league players can back up two days or even the next day to play a game after state of origin or test matches (which they do four times a year) than i see no reason why the AFL boys can't back up three or four days later after a game of aussie rules, which isn't on the same level as rugby league in terms of damage to your body.

mdunn27 said:
After 15 Rounds, dump the bottom 8, then the top 8 play again at reverse venues, coming into the old McIntyre Final Four system

Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant:thumbsu:
Great idea, obviously this will be the first one that Vlad and Ando will dispatch to the paper bin.

The only problem is what to do with the other 8 teams while the season goes for another 7 rounds plus finals (semis, pf and granny) = 10 weeks all up.

Extending seasons from 22 to 30 will just shorten the careers of every player in the AFL by 2 or 3 years.

Leave it as it is. Unless 2 Victorian teams go under leaving 14 teams in the comp - then a 26 round season might be viable. Each team plays one another twice, and the NAB cup gets scratched.

Kangaroos can merge with Sydney (AFL doesnt even refer to them as North Melbourne anymore) and Bulldogs can merge into Richmond, since both of those clubs need all the help they can get :cool:

/awaits flames.

16 teams, 22 rounds, just doesn't make sense. Some possible solutions:

Solution A. 30 round season + 4 rounds of finals. It's the fairest method of doing the draw, but a 34 week season is an awful lot, especially considering the geography of Australia and the current player list sizes.

Solution B. 15 round season + 4 rounds of finals. All teams play each other once, similar to the Super 14 system. 8 teams have 8 home games 1 year, same 8 teams have 7 home games the next. Provides a 19 week season, which allows for State of Origin, Pre-season Cup etc.

Solution C. 22 rounds, but a 12 team competition. Great starting basis for a league, but to attempt to make 16 go into 12 would likely do more harm to the game than good.

ashy_magpies said:
Scrap the preseason stuff and the international rules, add an extra 3 rounds, keep the bye weekend and introduce another bye weekend for State Of Origin and have a top 6 not 8. The extra rounds make it a little bit fairer and half the competition shouldnt qualify for finals.

Sounds practical to me. The only thing is list sizes would need to increase and list management and rotation would become as important as coaching strategy. Unfortunately there isn't enough talent as it is let alone to extend 16 club list by 10-15 players.

Dont think there should be a maximum on games each player can play either as someone else mentioned.

This is a great idea but will never happen.

mdunn27 said:

Heyyyy, now we're talkin...
:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

24 rounds
no NAB Cup
start on labour day weekend if not clashing with grand prix
4 extra weekends than now
2 split rounds or 1 split round and 2 SOO weekends
play early rounds at night

ashy_magpies said:
Scrap the preseason stuff and the international rules, add an extra 3 rounds, keep the bye weekend and introduce another bye weekend for State Of Origin and have a top 6 not 8. The extra rounds make it a little bit fairer and half the competition shouldnt qualify for finals.

Remove the top 8 and replace with a top six would mean that the draw becomes more important in who sees finals action. If you do this then the draw has to return to a true random method so that all teams have a chance to play. Would any of the teams with "special" requirements agree to that.

I dont think so Ed. (Anzac Day, Queens Birthday, Split Round all up for grabs, No Guarenteed Derbies etc etc)

Think it through people, the final 8 allows for a few more temas to have a chance of playing other than those with 'Special' requirments.

Khan

Remove this Banner Ad

30 round season proposals are back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back