Toast 300 games - Luke Breust

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be going a bit early but I can't see him not getting selected for Friday night.

First player in history to make it to 300 games off the rookie list. Would have played close to 50 games in the ressies as well. Started off as the super sub and looks to be finishing as one.

Hell of a career. 8 seasons of 40+ goals as a small forward. 3x Premiership player. 2x AA. 500+ career goals.

Pretty handy highlight reel too.

Is he going to start as the sub again?

Would be stiff but he's owned the role and I don't think he has the legs to provide 3 quarters of relentless pressure which we rely on.

Would be stiff but he's owned the role and I don't think he has the legs to provide 3 quarters of relentless pressure which we rely on.
Winning the final is obviously more important, and why change a winning strategy? Would be the right call, but someone is going to write an op - ed about it for sure.

Wanted to make this thread but wasn't sure if I'd get "Hawthorn board". Absolute champion and first ever rookie to play 300.

Still feel he is a little underrated in a career sense.

A couple of interesting stats...

Seasons with 30+ goals: non key forwards (AFL era):

L. Breust 12
M. Le Cras 10
E. Betts 9
S. Milne 9
B. Johnson 9
J. Farmer 9
S. Johnson 8
B. Harvey 8
Ph. Matera 8

Season with 40+ goals: non key forwards (AFL era):

1. L. Breust 8
1. S. Milne 8
3. E. Betts 7
3. B. Johnson 7
5. S. Johnson 6
6. Ph. Matera 5

Last edited:
it's rare to see a small forward reach 300 games, mostly because many small forwards who are really good either end up in the midfield or just get pushed out of the game because of how difficult the role of a modern small forward is. Breust has managed to stay effective in the role his entire career and that is a credit to him and Hawthorn.

One of the few 3peat era Hawks I don't hate with every fibre of my being. Congrats

Top 10 non key forwards by goals kicked - all time:

1. L. Matthews 915
2. K. Bartlett 778
3. E. Betts 640
4. S. Milne 574
5. B. Johnson 558
6. P. Daicos 549
7. L. Breust 548
7. D. Harris 548
9. B. Harvey 518
10. S. Johnson 516

Breust is also top 10 all time for assists!

In fact, players with 540+ goals and 230+ assists:

L. Franklin
T. Hawkins
J. Riewoldt
E. Betts
L. Breust

That is all.

Last edited:
Exceptional player, dead eye shot for goal, great servant of his club. Congratulations on a major milestone

Shots on Goal: 901
Goals: 548
Behinds: 253
No Score: 100
Accuracy: 60.8%

No Score - didn't make distance, out on the full, out of bounds etc

Shots on Goal: 901
Goals: 548
Behinds: 253
No Score: 100
Accuracy: 60.8%

No Score - didn't make distance, out on the full, out of bounds etc

1 in every 9 shots being no score seems very high. He tends to kick to the top of the square when he can't make the distance (he's not a particularly long kick). How do these stats differentiate kicks designed to give the tall forward a run and a jump and those that "don't make the distance".

1 in every 9 shots being no score seems very high. He tends to kick to the top of the square when he can't make the distance (he's not a particularly long kick). How do these stats differentiate kicks designed to give the tall forward a run and a jump and those that "don't make the distance".

Just going by what the AFL website/app says.

I guess from purely a black and white po8nt of view....any shot on goal which doesn't equate to a goal or a behind is deemed as no score. But basically Behinds and No Scores are deemed as misses because they aren't goals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240911_122434_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240911_122434_AFL.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 14
Top 10 non key forwards by goals kicked - all time:

1. L. Matthews 915
2. K. Bartlett 778
3. E. Betts 640
4. S. Milne 574
5. B. Johnson 558
6. P. Daicos 549
7. L. Breust 548
7. D. Harris 548
9. B. Harvey 518
10. S. Johnson 516

Breust is also top 10 all time for assists!

In fact, players with 540+ goals and 230+ assists:

L. Franklin
T. Hawkins
J. Riewoldt
E. Betts
L. Breust

That is all.
considering Betts is generally regarded as the best modern small forward to ever play the game thats pretty rare air for Breust

(Log in to remove this ad.)

considering Betts is generally regarded as the best modern small forward to ever play the game thats pretty rare air for Breust

Indeed. The Betts comparison probably speaks a little to what I mentioned regarding how underrated Breust is by some.

They both are now 300+ game players. They both average the exact same number of goals over their careers whilst Breust generally did more aside from goals (more possessions, more marks, more contested, more tackles, more pressure acts, more inside 50's, more metres gained, more score involvements, etc, etc.). In fact, Brust averaged 14+ disposals a game for 7 straight years and 4+ tackles for most of those, whilst Betts never reached that disposal or tackle average for any single season. Betts averaged more assists than Breust.

Betts was a gun and is rightfully considered the benchmark for the role. I think many (most?) would automatically think of him as well ahead of Breust when the reality is that they are awfully close (and it could be argued Breust was as (if not more) productive as an overall package).

Oh dear, I must have stumbled on to the Hawthorn board

Kidding. Gun player & one of the best small forwards I've seen. Always annoyed me that such a great NSW product didn't end up with us.

Would have been a perfect (and genuine) candidate for the academy as someone who spent all his life in NSW prior to being drafted, no 'connection' to AFL, grew up playing league and switched to focus on Aussie Rules at 14. Was just a little early (having been drafted just 2 years before the academy was set up).

I think he might be the most well rounded of the great modern small forwards (Betts, Cyril, Milne etc). Just seemed to do the basics well and was ultra consistent.

Exceptional football IQ too. Cyril and Betts had more tricks to get out of trouble but Breust was rarely found in a position that he was in trouble.

Would have been a perfect (and genuine) candidate for the academy as someone who spent all his life in NSW prior to being drafted, no 'connection' to AFL, grew up playing league and switched to focus on Aussie Rules at 14. Was just a little early (having been drafted just 2 years before the academy was set up).

I may be wrong but im pretty sure he played for the Swans reserve team and they had the chance to pre list him on the rookie list but chose not to.

Pretty good stats. Bit of a quiet achiever. Never had a big reputation as excitement machine, freak goal kicker or as serial pest like a lot of other high profile small forwards do have...

Pretty good stats. Bit of a quiet achiever. Never had a big reputation as excitement machine, freak goal kicker or as serial pest like a lot of other high profile small forwards do have...

The Thomas Muller of AFL. Not the quickest or the trickiest but just always finds himself in the right space and rarely misses. Super consistent contributor in both goals and assists.

Small forwards are rarely kicking set shots from in front of goal so you would expect a higher miss rate than key forwards.

As to your question, Im assuming they guess.

Looking at this highlight reel I have no clue how he doesn't have the excitement machine tag

Maybe it is cause of his balanced non-crazy demeanour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 300 games - Luke Breust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back