Past #31: David Hale - drafted at #7 in the Superdraft - 129 games for NM - traded to HFC in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

if David and North agree to terminate the contract
Why would we terminate the contract?

Who wouldn't want a relatively young and heavily experienced ruckman who can go forward and kick a goal.

If he is tradeable I can't see us terminating anything, we obviously signed him up for a reason.

But thats not the point. He isn't uncontracted now isn't he?

I'd be amazed if Hale was still at NMFC next season. And that will settle the arguement about `big men taking time'.
Most players take time & perhaps the big boys take a little longer, but there has to be a time limit.

I believe that he has 2 yrs to go on this contract. Good outcome would be hale and pick 17 for the gold coast pick 11. I think this realistic. He is not worth a first round and gold coast would be able to on-trade pick 17 for a good player. Our drafting has been outstanding, I think we should give them more to work with.

Not saying I know, but you may find Hale may not have fulfilled his performance clause based on senior games played this year
The fact remains that he is still contracted and North would be absolutely sh1t for brains stupid to terminate his contract when other clubs could be interested in his services. He will be traded. We will be compensated.

Hale isn't a bad player he just needs to be starting Ruckman, he is not a full forward. One position we have many options in.

Sorry Envelopes but I don't agree with what your saying. Who this year with the injuries we had was our best full forward? I think Hale was before he got injured. Before he went down he was good.

The young forwards might be something special but this year was always going to be for development for them.

This year we have no one who was a natural full forward. Edwards would be the closest we had but he is a little short IMO to play there.

How tall would Edwards be anyway? I'm guessing around the 5'11" mark.

The fact remains that he is still contracted and North would be absolutely sh1t for brains stupid to terminate his contract when other clubs could be interested in his services. He will be traded. We will be compensated.

North has 3 choices
1)Retain David ...but the match committee has shown little interest in him this year and you'd imagine he'd be worthless at the end of 2011 barring minor miracles
2)Take a punt and try and trade him, but realising they may have to backend his contract, as whatever they trade for is unlikely to equate to his current remuneration, and also realising they are now selling a bloke who plays magoos for a mid ranked team
3) Enact their out clause and move him on thereby solving contract and salary issues and freeing up cash to pay what they have to to keep Wells Ziebell Petrie Grima et al.

Money's still a big issue in Euge's office and it's simply conjecture that other clubs will be interested in Hale at any price.

North has 3 choices
1)Retain David ...but the match committee has shown little interest in him this year and you'd imagine he'd be worthless at the end of 2011 barring minor miracles
2)Take a punt and try and trade him, but realising they may have to backend his contract, as whatever they trade for is unlikely to equate to his current remuneration, and also realising they are now selling a bloke who plays magoos for a mid ranked team
3) Enact their out clause and move him on thereby solving contract and salary issues and freeing up cash to pay what they have to to keep Wells Ziebell Petrie Grima et al.

Money's still a big issue in Euge's office and it's simply conjecture that other clubs will be interested in Hale at any price.

So he is worthless now and he will be even more worthless at the end of 2011? I think the view that he is worthless now is bollox. If David is put up for trade someone, including GC (who I may add saw David towel up goldenboy Zac Smith in the ruck not too long ago) will show interest and trade for him.

Money isn't that big an issue considering we are paying 95% of the cap with our young guys locked away until after David's contract runs out.

No point pushing the argument for Hale to GC for nothing. It ain't gonna happen. If no trade eventuates, then David will be a back up ruckman in case one of Goldstein or McIntosh go down. Simple.

So he is worthless now and he will be even more worthless at the end of 2011? I think the view that he is worthless now is bollox. If David is put up for trade someone, including GC (who I may add saw David towel up goldenboy Zac Smith in the ruck not too long ago) will show interest and trade for him.

Money isn't that big an issue considering we are paying 95% of the cap with our young guys locked away until after David's contract runs out.

No point pushing the argument for Hale to GC for nothing. It ain't gonna happen. If no trade eventuates, then David will be a back up ruckman in case one of Goldstein or McIntosh go down. Simple.

Well money's an issue for every club not just NMFC and moreso this year with agents being able to bump up contracts based on the GC bogeymman.
David isn't worthless at the moment..in fact the deal being spruiked is for GC to just take over his current contract..but his value will be much less if he gets the same love from DMac and Bon next year.

I don't want to speak in a negative fashion about David, but if the club wasn't looking to trade him and get the best possible value for what I'd consider at this point to be a surplus ruckman, I'd be annoyed.

Any suggest we'd just ditch his contract is nothing more than the bleating of Vichy Coast flogs. Any of them who's prepared to act like the GC would be pulling the wool over our eyes on this is kidding themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My money's on "sloppy journalism". Mike would have been too busy counting his money from the Ben Cousins love-in to do any research into David Hale's contractual status.

As for SandyToes theories....mate, they make no sense.

If the Suns want Hale, then he has value. He is marketable. You don't and won't get marketable, contracted players for nothing.

As for SandyToes theories....mate, they make no sense.

If the Sons want Hale, then he has value. He is marketable. You don't and won't get marketable, contracted players for nothing.

I agree he has value..and GC will pay above his market value to get him, but signing him when he was playing wellwas a double edged sword..so, now,do you pay him 200K to run around at Ballarat as a back up...or free that money up for other players and work on the basis that Petrie Black MacIntosh and Goldy will carry the ruck okay next year?
That ruck division is about 4 times better than Geelong's IMO.

I agree he has value..and GC will pay above his market value to get him, but signing him when he was playing wellwas a double edged sword..so, now,do you pay him 200K to run around at Ballarat as a back up...or free that money up for other players and work on the basis that Petrie Black MacIntosh and Goldy will carry the ruck okay next year?
Daw.

Personally, I would trade him and draft a mature bodied rookie ruckman.

We cannot rely on Drew, Black or Daw (or Hansen) to carry our rucks if, God forbid, we lose Hamish and/or Goldy to injury next year.

It's pretty simple. Gold Coast may make a play on Hale, but would have to compensate us via a tradeweek. He will not be part of their uncontracted players quota.

I was going to post about Hales current situation- but it got me thinking.
Why is Hale so shit.
I thought his laziness or hes just inept or he idk
like he did kick 8 goals against Geelong and did pretty well in 08.
In fact he was in good form throughout 06 07 and 08.
So why the patheticness.
Has it been Goldis rise.
Home sickness.
Or maybe just maybe- the youngsters in the team causing Hale to suck.
I was thinking the loss of Grant, Sinclair, Harris, Power, Simpson, Green and Sansbury may have been the issue. But if i recall none of them are the best kicks.
So maybe the lack of experience in the middle is why the supplies dried up and hence making our forwards suck.
Well Petrie and Hansen have fared well in recent years.
So i gather Hales issue has got to be between the ears (not the hair thing) and i suggest that Hale might have some extreme personal issues that we dont know about. Just has to be. No one when hitting their prime loses all their ability just like that.

Its been done to death. He is not shit and could be a great RUCKMAN if he was to play that role.

We currently have 2 other Ruckman that have more of an upside and he is played out of position at FF. You trade him to a GC or Hawthorn team where he would be the no.1 ruckman then he has incredible value and definitely worth a high pick.

Think of the upside for GC, a ruckman ready made, in prime age, that WILL play 22 out of 22 games next year. That is worth a top 20 pick easily.

Collingwood paid bloody pick 14 for Cameron Wood, thinking he would take the no.1 ruck role.

The compensation pick for Hale would be based on what they would be prepared to pay him, his age, etc.

There is no guarantee it would be better than what we could get in terms of a trade.

But, it comes down to if we wish to move him on next year. We could try to do a trade and then release him from his contract (if he agreed) after trade week so Suns could take him as the uncontracted player prior to the draft so we could then get a compensation pick.

But, for all we know David is happy to play his role in part of the team and the club might be happy to keep him at the club. Cold Logic would dictate that it is the best interest of the club (and David) to move on a surplus ruckman in order to strengthen some other area, but logic doesn't always dictate how things go.

It was logical for us to trade Gibbo off last year but we went through that kicking and screaming trying to hold onto him.

Hale isn't shit, he just doesn't have the opportunity in the senior side any more.

You look at most ruckmen, when they ruck for 75%+ of the game they ruck a whole lot better than they do when they have to share more of the ruck.

When Monster got injured and Goldy rucked for most of the game he got 41 hitouts against a decent ruckman but he doesn't get anywhere near that ratio when he gets his 30-40% ruck time. Ruckmen are like lizards, they need to sit on a rock to get warm before they can get going. Ruckmen aren't really impact players, they need time to work into games.

If we weren't so devoid of KPF players at the time we pushed him forward he might have been our #1 ruckman today.

How tall would Edwards be anyway? I'm guessing around the 5'11" mark.

Azza's just over 6ft Wombat, at 184cm's.

As for Hale.......

He has to be willing to move firstly, as he is contracted.

We have to be willing to move him on and then satisfied with the compensation offered in return.

I reckon it'll happen, to allow GC to have a ruckman in his prime (age wise) to support Smith, who looks the goods but is very young and raw.

The club would surely be elated if that trade of Hale and pick 17 for pick 11 went through. We'd be able to draft a classy onballer at pick 11 for sure.

At this stage though there remain alot of IF's. Given how swiftly the club moved on the delistings you'd suspect they'd have an idea what their intentions are for Hale as well.

The compensation pick for Hale would be based on what they would be prepared to pay him, his age, etc.

There is no guarantee it would be better than what we could get in terms of a trade.

Tas, I think as he is contracted, the only way for him to end up at Gold Coast is via a normal trade. This compensation schceme you're talking about was purely designed for uncontracted players.

Azza's just over 6ft Wombat, at 184cm's.

As for Hale.......

He has to be willing to move firstly, as he is contracted.

We have to be willing to move him on and then satisfied with the compensation offered in return.

I reckon it'll happen, to allow GC to have a ruckman in his prime (age wise) to support Smith, who looks the goods but is very young and raw.

The club would surely be elated if that trade of Hale and pick 17 for pick 11 went through. We'd be able to draft a classy onballer at pick 11 for sure.

At this stage though there remain alot of IF's. Given how swiftly the club moved on the delistings you'd suspect they'd have an idea what their intentions are for Hale as well.

I don't know, i know Hale has been pretty poor over the last couple of years but he is still young an can actually play good footy, to trade him for just a pick upgrade seems an feels like we are really getting nothing in return for him.

If we do trade him I'd hope we get something good in return, not just a pick upgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #31: David Hale - drafted at #7 in the Superdraft - 129 games for NM - traded to HFC in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back