Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

looks like banjo kid in deliverence
313qb8k.jpg

Dean Gore on the right has more claims.

Good to see he is best mates with Menadue

"RICHMOND’S top draft pick Corey Ellis says he is “back on track” after a foot injury that forced him to miss the AFL Combine.

The Western Jets midfielder, taken at pick 12 by the Tigers in Thursday night’s draft, suffered a stress fracture at the end of the TAC Cup season.

But Ellis said he was back running and set to join pre-season training at Punt Rd.

“I’m back on track, I’ve been doing a bit of running lately and it’s feeling good,’’ Ellis said.

“So I’ll just monitor my progress and hopefully I’ll get started pretty soon."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...mp-in-townsville/story-fnp04d70-1227139394681

Last edited:
That would explain if a number of clubs were taking the time to discuss our next pick, but not sure how it explains how we were the only ones constantly using up our full 2 mins.
Maybe we'll look back in 5 years after all 5 players are guns, and we were the only club to nail each of their picks it will all make sense why the extra time was used....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FJ was on SEN earlier today...says all the new recruits are off to Townsville for an 8 day camp
Ellis seems to be ok with his foot
Butler had a knee earlier this season but is all good
Expects Ellis, Drummond to play a bit of senior footy
He is really excited about Menadue ( more like Man are we due!)
Says Club will look to beef him upbig time- expects big things from the lad
Menadue not only speedy but also an endurance runner
As for Reece...amazed he was there at 77...has all the tools, size speed hands and the will to get the best out of himself..just.needs to get into AFL life and reckons we can mould him into a ripper
Re Rookie draft.. Reckons well look at our supplementary list first before exploring others which we'll do later in the mid 50 ish pick

Then SEN played a replay of the 2013 elimination final which has ruined th rest of my day

Last edited:
FJ was on SEN earlier today...says all the new recruits are off to Townsville for an 8 day camp
Ellis seems to be ok with his foot
Butler had a knee earlier this season but is all good
Expects Ellis, Drummond to play a bit of senior footy
He is really excited about Menadue ( more like Man are we due!)
Says Club will look to beef him upbig time- expects big things from the lad
Menadue not only speedy but also an endurance runner
As for Reece...amazed he was there at 77...has all the tools, size speed hands and the will to get the best out of himself..just.needs to get into AFL life and reckons we can mould him into a ripper
Re Rookie draft.. Reckons well look at our supplementary list first before exploring others which we'll do later in the mid 50 ish pick

Then SEN played a replay of the 2013 eliminate final which has ruined th rest of my day
Thanks for that Rubber Lips.:thumbsu:

That's weird he would offer up that information to a random person at the airport. Never heard of a stranger being so intrusive about someone's work contract and a person responding so honestly.

I guess you have the impression that I ran up to him interrupting whatever he was doing and the first thing I asked him about was his contract with Richmond... Ahhh no that isn't the case but I can go through the entire conversation with you if you like in a round a bout way:

First though I am not a random stranger as I have met and spoke with Matty before at open days and functions held by the club. I can't say I know him or that he recognised me but I have spoken with him and know him to be a guy who's pretty open to have a chat.

So let's just say that I have a lot of respect for Matty White and we were both waiting for our bags to arrive when he came right by me to wait so I caught eye contact and opened up a passing conversation with him by congratulating him on a stellar season at Port... Then I joked how we missed him at the Tiges and we had a little laugh so I gently asked/suggested that the Tiges may not have done enough to secure his services with their contract offer to which he said (in a bemused way) 'there wasn't really a contract on the table'. I was very surprised, said it was our loss and wished him all the best.

I guess you have the impression that I ran up to him interrupting whatever he was doing and the first thing I asked him about was his contract with Richmond... Ahhh no that isn't the case but I can go through the entire conversation with you if you like in a round a bout way:

First though I am not a random stranger as I have met and spoke with Matty before at open days and functions held by the club. I can't say I know him or that he recognised me but I have spoken with him and know him to be a guy who's pretty open to have a chat.

So let's just say that I have a lot of respect for Matty White and we were both waiting for our bags to arrive when he came right by me to wait so I caught eye contact and opened up a passing conversation with him by congratulating him on a stellar season at Port... Then I joked how we missed him at the Tiges and we had a little laugh so I gently asked/suggested that the Tiges may not have done enough to secure his services with their contract offer to which he said (in a bemused way) 'there wasn't really a contract on the table'. I was very surprised, said it was our loss and wished him all the best.
Can I ask, was the no real contract on offer exactly what he said? The only reason why is that can be interpreted many ways. Was there actually no contract offer or was it just not good enough?

Good luck to Corey, seems like he will be a solid footballer from all reports. Hopefully the injury is behind him & get's to play a few games next season. Still would of liked to have got Weller, hopefully Ellis turns out as good if not a better footballer.

Gonna say it. I was ******* pissed when we overlooked Heppel, and i'm ******* pissed we didn't take Garlett. Not saying Ellis is a dud, but, FFS where are we gonna get that outside run and pace from? A Garlett type. As Tugga said, Vanilla.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

nice melt :thumbsu:

I'm sure Corey will be a gun!!

You certainly implied the selection is easy, "tick them off as they fell. When it's our turn we'd just have to call the name of the highest rated player left" well to me that sounds pretty damn easy.

You called our recruiters absolute amateurs so I assume you think you could do as well or better yet your asking what makes me an expert, maybe it is a question you should ask yourself?

Nowhere in my post did I claim to be an expert on anything nor that my view is any better than yours or anyone elses, it was purely my opinion, who's opinion is right or wrong is for others to decide.

I don't know you personally so you may be very insightful normally but in the post I responded to you came across to me as a bit clueless.

As for shooting my mouth off drop the BS agro act, I gave it plenty of thought before responding and my response was nothing more than my opinion on that post, if you didn't like it well sorry but I didn't like your post either, that's the way these forums work
i do not profess to be an expert on talent identification even though I personally would have chosen a tall defender like Lever, however ,I do have an opinion about the way we did business on the night. Every time it was our pick we seemed to be stunned and I believe this should not happen. I advocate that a list should be compiled by player type and if you want an inside midfielder you chose the first on your list. Then if your next choice is an outside runner you choose the outside runner highest on your list. I accept you may need to discuss an abnormally once but not at every pick as we did. They came across as amateurs and that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Gonna say it. I was ******* pissed when we overlooked Heppel, and i'm ******* pissed we didn't take Garlett. Not saying Ellis is a dud, but, FFS where are we gonna get that outside run and pace from? A Garlett type. As Tugga said, Vanilla.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Yeah it's a damn shame we only took Ellis and didn't have four other picks to target pace with owait

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back