Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

His opponent slipped over one time and he still completely butchered taking a mark unopposed. Idk how it's possible that someone this tall can't mark. I wonder did growing up in QLD mean he never played kick to kick his whole childhood? Kozitsche probably gets a week or 2, time to bring in Trezise and put Tom Brown as a marking option up fwd???? Either that or the mid season picks?
Macintosh had three pings at the big sticks in the first 5 minutes of Thursday's game and he got a lot more of the ball than usual as well..... I'm sniffing they're giving him more of an attacking role.

Last edited:
he has a weird body language thing going on, after every contest he looks like is is so tired he couldn't possibly move again the whole match

but then he is there at the next contest, every time, not marking but bringing the ball to ground
I think its important to bring the ball to ground if you don't want the oppo player to mark, but it's more important to be able to take a grab, takes so much pressure off the team when you can take a grab --see jack R for example.

I can't see this kid making it in the AFL. unless he can take a mark, in the modern game if you're gonna not be mobile you better have a good one wood - he does not.

you better have a good one wood - he does not.
That’s it exactly.
Pretty much everyone at that level is very good at something or was as a junior and can produce what they’re good at more often than not at the higher level.
I’m not sure what he’s good at.

That’s it exactly.
Pretty much everyone at that level is very good at something or was as a junior and can produce what they’re good at more often than not at the higher level.
He's good at being tall.

He looks like a giraffe on roller skates. I think we must persist with him. Let’s get him rock hard fit over summer. I get the feeling he is an intelligent guy. He seems to get to the right spots and is doing the roll he is asked. Smarts I’d important for ruckman.
Yze gave him a shout out post match so we will keep persisting. Is not like too many teams have a second ruckman as good as Samson who is still 23.

He was able to bring the ball to ground and he did that better than any other game he’s played I think
and he wasn’t really beaten in the Ruck.
But..
Watching the game again he’s not a very good runner at either Fwd or Ruck. He’s not explosive enough as a fwd and doesn’t look to have the stamina to power up and down the ground as a Ruck.
14 HO’s against a 6th gamer who blew up and did a groin as well as a couple of filler inner’s. Nank monstered them.
He didn’t take a contested mark for the game
I counted them…he got to 25 contested attempts which is good and what’s expected of him but outve those 17 where one handed.
I know “bring the ball to ground” and he was only out marked once.
But there where at least half a dozen that if it was a hungry player they would’ve had a go at the mark.

Him and Kosi look like they get distracted by contact if the oppo makes first contact.
He has to take more marks to be worth investing in for the future.

Honestly I think the coaching staff have instructed them to purely bring it to ground and not even attempt a contested mark.
That’s why he’s going up one handed.

We used to do the same for Jack when he was slowing down as a player and everyone crucified him on why he wasn’t marking anymore.

I think its important to bring the ball to ground if you don't want the oppo player to mark, but it's more important to be able to take a grab, takes so much pressure off the team when you can take a grab --see jack R for example.

I can't see this kid making it in the AFL. unless he can take a mark, in the modern game if you're gonna not be mobile you better have a good one wood - he does not.
And for mine he shows no second effort whatsoever. Very disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't understand the one hand marking attempts. He didn't do it in his first few games, but it was certainly noticeable against the Crows. In an era where the cheapest free kick is arm chopping, why not go for the mark as a tall player?

out of contract. 23 y.o.
4 years in the system. can he, will he improve?

not physically developed enough, I think he'll track like RCD. Physically mature at 25

will we wait, or delist Ryan & Naismith and a better older player.

we have enough KPPs who can ruck and we will have a replacement for Naismith, or Naismith.

Nank just got extended to 2026,

Mason Cox made a career and has a premiership medallion out of being a tall second-ruck who can bring it to ground.

I'm not seeing that much pressure on Ryan's spot. If Balta is back he can't help out Nank, same goes for Miller. Kosi is a much worse ruck, worse at bringing it to ground and isn't doing enough on the lead to be picked before Ryan. Naismith has done his fourth ACL.

Given those circumstances I reckon Ryan is doing enough to play for the rest of the season.

That’s it exactly.
All I can offer is he is pretty reliable with set shots at goal. That’s all.

out of contract. 23 y.o.
4 years in the system. can he, will he improve?

not physically developed enough, I think he'll track like RCD. Physically mature at 25

will we wait, or delist Ryan & Naismith and a better older player.

we have enough KPPs who can ruck and we will have a replacement for Naismith, or Naismith.

Nank just got extended to 2026,
He has already done 20x more than RCD ever did.

For a kid that came from absolutely nowhere in the Q'labd bush leagues, he has improved to point of taking VFL games by storm.

Definitely worth seeing if he can keep that improvement going and bring it to the AFL

Honestly I think the coaching staff have instructed them to purely bring it to ground and not even attempt a contested mark.
That’s why he’s going up one handed.

We used to do the same for Jack when he was slowing down as a player and everyone crucified him on why he wasn’t marking anymore.
They’ve instructed him to do this bc both he and Kosi can’t take a contested mark to save themselves. The plan has been modified for this reason only and to at least get the ball to ground. It will still backfire against better defences bc they will run off them and outmark them more often than not.
The joke going around is he can’t mark with two hands , so he’s now trying with one. 😂

Last edited:
They’ve instructed him to do this bc both he and Kosi can’t take a contested mark to save themselves. The plan has been modified for this reason only and two at least get the ball to ground. It will still backfire against better defences bc they will run off them and outmark them more often than not.
The joke going around is he can’t mark with two hands , so he’s now trying with one. 😂
Welcome back champion, we've missed you.

I really don't understand the one hand marking attempts. He didn't do it in his first few games, but it was certainly noticeable against the Crows. In an era where the cheapest free kick is arm chopping, why not go for the mark as a tall player?
I guess because those aren’t paid to us

They’ve instructed him to do this bc both he and Kosi can’t take a contested mark to save themselves. The plan has been modified for this reason only and two at least get the ball to ground. It will still backfire against better defences bc they will run off them and outmark them more often than not.
Welcome back

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back