Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

If we consider Ryan's debut then this game was infinitely better.

I want him to be better but I just don't know where it is going to come from. He is 21 games into his career, but is in season #4. He doesn't look to have put on any great muscle and isn't a great runner. Goes at 6 disposals and 2 marks per game, along with 10 hitouts per game, which is a hugely inflated number because in two games he had a combined 60 hitouts and in all the rest has had a combined 150. I just can't not see him getting monstered by bigger, stronger, fitter rucks.

He is not a forward. I don't know why we keep playing him there. He should be getting full games in the VFL as the #1 ruck.
He's not an anything. He should be grateful for the pay cheque.

I think the worst part is that he doesn't look like he's trying. I remember Adam Pattison, while limited, tried his guts out. Chased harassed, put his arms out to smother.

Ryan doesn't seem to do some of the basics to suggest he really wants it.

I think the worst part is that he doesn't look like he's trying. I remember Adam Pattison, while limited, tried his guts out. Chased harassed, put his arms out to smother.

Ryan doesn't seem to do some of the basics to suggest he really wants it.

This is a the problem with him. He never leads, often throws 1 hand up at the mark and never get's uncontested possessions. Everything is so compressed with him and it resembles someone not trying hard enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calm down. He's still a baby in ruck terms.

Next year, however, I expect a jump. Compare the pair: Arguably the best ruck in the last 15 years vs Delilah at same age.

I'm hopeful.

View attachment 2053997
Gawn was identified a long way out, drafted 2009 did two ACL’s before 2014 and wasn’t #1 Ruck till 2015.
The other thing about Gawn was that he competed at state level in 400 mtr hurdles as a junior, he’s a really strong guy who had years to of training in his body before his draft.
You can see it against Blicvas, Blicvas tries to blow up the oppo Ruck, Gawn can handle it standing on his ear.
I don’t think Ryan can get to that level.
The only other state level 400 mtr hurdler that played footy I know of was Koutafides. He was that strong he came ready to play from day 1.

Calm down. He's still a baby in ruck terms.

Next year, however, I expect a jump. Compare the pair: Arguably the best ruck in the last 15 years vs Delilah at same age.

I'm hopeful.

View attachment 2053997
This data was also Gawn's fourth season so similar number of years in the AFL system.

He has barely played 20 games as a skinny 206cm ****/forward. I think he shows a bit but it's hard to see it without the broader context.

I think he does compete well in the air when he is allowed to, but just gets held/pushed around too easily a lot of the time. Is pretty mobile and a decent field kick for someone of his size.

My optimistic prediction is this time next year we will be applauding his breakout year. My realistic prediction is give him another 20 games to see if he has it - breakouts tend to happen at the ~35-50 game mark (see Miller, Mansell, Ross, MRJ).

The club has clearly seen enough behind the scenes and in the little but valuable development things fans don't really notice to give him three years. Hopefully a couple of those years we will be paying him unders for what he's delivering on the field.

This data was also Gawn's fourth season so similar number of years in the AFL system.

He has barely played 20 games as a skinny 206cm ****/forward. I think he shows a bit but it's hard to see it without the broader context.

I think he does compete well in the air when he is allowed to, but just gets held/pushed around too easily a lot of the time. Is pretty mobile and a decent field kick for someone of his size.

My optimistic prediction is this time next year we will be applauding his breakout year. My realistic prediction is give him another 20 games to see if he has it - breakouts tend to happen at the ~35-50 game mark (see Miller, Mansell, Ross, MRJ).

The club has clearly seen enough behind the scenes and in the little but valuable development things fans don't really notice to give him three years. Hopefully a couple of those years we will be paying him unders for what he's delivering on the field.
If you were half right with your optimism I would be excited. Just can’t see it in this kid atm as he seems to lack a heart or any killer instinct in him. Then add all his shortcomings on his list and at 23 already he should be showing more. Ned Moyles is a better comparison for me and he would eat Samson Up on a footy field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back