Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got a funny feeling that Samson Ryan will have a big game and really announce himself at afl level this week
They use to burn people at the stake for the same thing, luckily for you they don't do it anymore!

Angry Gaspar Noe GIF by Arrow Video

I often think that it would be worthwhile getting Matty Richo to work with Samson on his marking. Richo was an amazing marker of the ball and he still regularly works at the club. Why not ask him to help Samson?
Richo was a great mark when he bothered to get his arms in the air - had good dukes.

My ongoing frustration with Richo was that he too often tried to chest mark in a contest, and gave his immediate defender way too much of a sniff to spoil. Used to wreck my head.

But going by his hilarious willingness to offer advice on goalkicking during his time in commentary, it might very well be a "do what I say, not what I do" type scenario for Richo as an instructor 🤣

Last edited:
Richo was a great mark when he bothered to get his arms in the air - had good dukes.

My ongoing frustration with Richo was that he too often tried to chest mark in a contest, and gave his immediate defender way too much of a sniff to spoil. Used to wreck my head.

But going by his hilarious willingness to offer advice on goalkicking during his time in commentary, it might very well be a "do what I say, not what I do" type scenario for Richo as an instructor 🤣
It's a hard line to push that Richo didn't mark enough!

Equal with Nick Riewoldt, Loewe and Dempsey with average 8 per game.

In my opinion, Prime Richo is right up there with the best contested marks in AFL history.

It's a hard line to push that Richo didn't mark enough!

Equal with Nick Riewoldt, Loewe and Dempsey with average 8 per game.
Yeah, he also kicked 800 goals in his career, but doesn't mean we weren't entitled to be frustrated with that at times too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be getting worse every game. Doesn't even look close to marking the ball.

How this guy got 3 years is beyond me. Probably should have been delisted this year.

Sorry but this question needs to be addressed. What floopin idiot decided this kid deserved 3 more years? List Manager, coach, who exactly? And you are right, he is actually getting worse each week.

Sorry but this question needs to be addressed. What floopin idiot decided this kid deserved 3 more years? List Manager, coach, who exactly? And you are right, he is actually getting worse each week.

Yep. Would be understandable if he was trending in the right direction, but he’s going down if anything.

I can’t believe he got 3 years. He’s probably close to the worst player in the comp to be honest. I don’t think there’s any hope for him at all and he will be in the vfl/back up to the back up for the next 3 years

he has been given 3 years for a reason.

Not seeing it with him, but clearly the club see something in him otherwise they would not persist. Hopefully he gets dropped for the rest of the season, has a strong pre season and shows us SOMETHING next year.
I suggest we can get what we can for him!

1723368518795.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back