Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah fair enough. He does it in the VFL. Hopefully he can show it at afl.

The issue we have now is he is a ruckman and we have OHB and sounds like Colina (if hes ever fit) to squeeze in too.

Hes got 3 years. Clearly the club think he has something to offer.
Contracts don’t mean anything these days. This will be his 6th year In the system? Now or never.

No, he's the most uncompetitive crap on the list.

Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane's little trans brother.

After the initial tap contest he is useless. Offers absolutely nothing once the ball comes down.
So if he is a bust consider this. Blair and his team offered him a 3 year deal. Blair and his team are in charge of our 8 picks in the 2024 draft. OMG.

I see is a guy who has shown talent, not physically though, btu who simply hasn't translated that into anything consistent at the AFL level. That the club has given him 3 years means that they think he can bring it all together, IMHO.

If he can bring his ability to the table, and get stronger, then we have a reasonable ruck.

I struggle to see why we gave him 3 years. But I also see potential. I won't pot him. But I really hope the club hasn't stuffed this one up.

I feel like Samson is the next Tyrone Vickery. Just need to hold on to him long enough til some other team other team overpays for him and we get another Shai Bolton out of it.

I’m thinking the club might put him on that super size me diet like that guy did where he only ate McDonalds every day …. Will bulk Samson up so he is a lot harder for defender to move or push out of the marking contest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see is a guy who has shown talent, not physically though, btu who simply hasn't translated that into anything consistent at the AFL level. That the club has given him 3 years means that they think he can bring it all together, IMHO.

If he can bring his ability to the table, and get stronger, then we have a reasonable ruck.

I struggle to see why we gave him 3 years. But I also see potential. I won't pot him. But I really hope the club hasn't stuffed this one up.
3 years is the new 2. The no of years to bring kosi over. Ryan was handy in 2023, injury cover for Nank, Soldo & even Lynch.
Uneven player development is natural. In Ryan's case, just hasn't bulked up enough. Ryan's 23, needs 2 years to mature.

A cautionary tale about taking another ruck in this draft.

3 years is the new 2. The no of years to bring kosi over. Ryan was handy in 2023, injury cover for Nank, Soldo & even Lynch.
Uneven player development is natural. In Ryan's case, just hasn't bulked up enough. Ryan's 23, needs 2 years to mature.

A cautionary tale about taking another ruck in this draft.
I have no problem with taking another ruck in the draft. If they have real talent. But only if we think we can get a top line ruck - so in 3 to 5 years.

People need more patience with this guy. He just needs bulk. It's the only thing that's stopping him from being pushed out of contests. It effects his marking and ruck work. Once he has the size to wrestle and hold his ground, he will be one of our most important players in the side. He has already proven that he has the marking capability, is a good set shot and is talented tap ruckman.

We just need to get him on the protein shakes and make him smash the gym (especially to build up his core strength) and he will an incredible asset to the side. It's going to be a massive preseason for the lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back