Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #32: Travis Colyer - "Burning up the track"

Colyer looks quicker in a straight line, but Davey seems faster dodging and weaving, or sheepdog tackling.

I think you're right. Davey's strength is his change of direction speed and speed of the mark. His top speed doesn't appear to be exceptional

The knock on his size and disposal nonsense in my view

Plenty of players of his size have gone on to become gun AFL players.

As for his kicking, not outstanding by any means but what you'll find with Colyer is that he's always going to have a lower percentage as he's the sort of player that will be doing alot of his delivery having carried the ball 25 meters toward goal then attempting to either kick the goal or spot up a bloke on the lead 60 meters away.

There's a real problem with the way peoples kicking is measured. Slattery for instance would have a better kicking efficiency than Colyer but the majority of his kicks are not travelling more than 25 meters and don't attempt to penetrate.

As much as you need roll players, you need line breakers and guys that can penetrate the game. This is what Colyer brings.

The knock on his size and disposal nonsense in my view

Plenty of players of his size have gone on to become gun AFL players.

As for his kicking, not outstanding by any means but what you'll find with Colyer is that he's always going to have a lower percentage as he's the sort of player that will be doing alot of his delivery having carried the ball 25 meters toward goal then attempting to either kick the goal or spot up a bloke on the lead 60 meters away.

There's a real problem with the way peoples kicking is measured. Slattery for instance would have a better kicking efficiency than Colyer but the majority of his kicks are not travelling more than 25 meters and don't attempt to penetrate.

As much as you need roll players, you need line breakers and guys that can penetrate the game. This is what Colyer brings.

I think the best thing Colyer could do when running into the 50 at pace is go for the fatside kick rather than have a ping at the goals himself. Both are equally difficult kicks, but the fatside kick has a bit more margin for error, as you're hitting space, not a single point.

I think the best thing Colyer could do when running into the 50 at pace is go for the fatside kick rather than have a ping at the goals himself. Both are equally difficult kicks, but the fatside kick has a bit more margin for error, as you're hitting space, not a single point.

I'd prefer him to try and hit a leading forward. That's the kick he needs to get down if he wants to make a career of this.

I'd prefer him to try and hit a leading forward. That's the kick he needs to get down if he wants to make a career of this.

Hard to hit a leading forward on the skinny side from 50-60m out on the run. Both players are sprinting towards each other then the ball flies as well. Very hard to do. The fat side kick is still to a leading player (whether towards the 50 or running back inside 50 from the wing) but the angles make it a much easier kick to mark with that extra space. I'm not saying he should kick to an empty pocket on the fat side.

If you're within range, and steady, TAKE THE FREAKIN SHOT.
Safest place for the footy = through the middle.

Worst thing we've done as a club over the last 6-8 years is a) handball to stationary targets and b) try and dink kicks that aren't on.

Hard to hit a leading forward on the skinny side from 50-60m out on the run. Both players are sprinting towards each other then the ball flies as well. Very hard to do. The fat side kick is still to a leading player (whether towards the 50 or running back inside 50 from the wing) but the angles make it a much easier kick to mark with that extra space. I'm not saying he should kick to an empty pocket on the fat side.

I meant more from the middle. Colyer seems to always want to run it, even though it might not always be the best option. If you're always running it to 50-60 then you limit your options, as you say, and you really need to make it count.

Stanton is actually pretty good at this. If he has space he sometimes goes for a run, but not always; often he will kick long even if no one is around him, when the long option is the best thing to do.

Colyer seems to always take off on a run when he has space, often running in to trouble when he could have gone over it a bit earlier. It puts more pressure on his kicks and limits his options.

Re: #32: Travis Colyer - Kicking still an issue?

Actually prefer it when Colyer gets the ball near the boundary - Seems to kick better when the degree of difficulty is more difficult.

Worst thing we've done as a club over the last 6-8 years is a) handball to stationary targets and b) try and dink kicks that aren't on.

I'd rather Colyer spots up Crameri, Hille or Hurley than has a ping from 50 on the run tbh.

I meant more from the middle. Colyer seems to always want to run it, even though it might not always be the best option. If you're always running it to 50-60 then you limit your options, as you say, and you really need to make it count.

Stanton is actually pretty good at this. If he has space he sometimes goes for a run, but not always; often he will kick long even if no one is around him, when the long option is the best thing to do.

Colyer seems to always take off on a run when he has space, often running in to trouble when he could have gone over it a bit earlier. It puts more pressure on his kicks and limits his options.

I agree with all of this. I'm talking more when he gathers about 70 out on the break, turns, runs that 20m and has a fly from 50 on a 45 degree angle. It's low percentage stuff from a player with average kicking skills. I have no problems with Zaka or Crameri having a pop from there, but Colyer just doesn't do it often enough. A 30m cross field ball to a leading target in space is high percentage stuff.

Kick the goal, spot up to the centre of the ground or hit a leading player. They're all options but which option he takes is totally dependent on the situation he finds himself in. Yes sometimes he'll spray them but no more than Stanton does when he consistently misses short passes across the ground and has a to often used fallout of going back and kicking it 50m to a 50 / 50... And that's one of our better players.

I think he's going to be a more than handy player. He's unfairly maligned in here given his output to date as a 20 year old as compared to the nonsense we've had to tolerate for the last 10 years.

Slats did you get my PM?

I really like Colyer and think he will be a great player for us. The main thing I think he needs to work on is slowing down and steadying himself right before he kicks. I recall Dempsey having the same problem early in his career. I think its something he will work on and eventually get the balance right. What I do like about him a lot is he has pace to burn and is not afraid to use it. Size wise he's improved a lot and he's always been able to find the ball. Will be a handy player for us this year and I'm tipping a top 10 b&f finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like Colyer and think he will be a great player for us. The main thing I think he needs to work on is slowing down and steadying himself right before he kicks. I recall Dempsey having the same problem early in his career. I think its something he will work on and eventually get the balance right. What I do like about him a lot is he has pace to burn and is not afraid to use it. Size wise he's improved a lot and he's always been able to find the ball. Will be a handy player for us this year and I'm tipping a top 10 b&f finish.

+1, not as sure about the top 10 b&f finish, but he has something that not a whole lot of other players in the side have, natural pace. Don't think you will see him get caught very often.
Side Note: I think he overthinks a bit too much when he kicks, and thus, sprays them.

Kick the goal, spot up to the centre of the ground or hit a leading player. They're all options but which option he takes is totally dependent on the situation he finds himself in. Yes sometimes he'll spray them but no more than Stanton does when he consistently misses short passes across the ground and has a to often used fallout of going back and kicking it 50m to a 50 / 50... And that's one of our better players.

I think he's going to be a more than handy player. He's unfairly maligned in here given his output to date as a 20 year old as compared to the nonsense we've had to tolerate for the last 10 years.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a fantastic player and I'm very happy with his progress as someone just entering his 3rd year.

I just think he gets tunnel vision for the goals at times, which isn't a great thing given his kicking isn't brilliant. I think he'll have more score involvements if his first instinct is to look for a lead on the fatside. Hille in particular is excellent at working back towards goal on the fatside into space.

I'd rather Colyer spots up Crameri, Hille or Hurley than has a ping from 50 on the run tbh.
He's got to spot the options, decide the best one (keeping in mind that they all lead/don't lead differently) and then he's got a 2-3m target to aim at- even smaller to really give them best chance at it. Then you worry about the other guy beating his man & marking it, and then the set shot.

Goals are 6 metres wide and as high as you like, they move even less than Hilley, and they rarely drop marks.

There's obviously plenty of times when the leading option's going to be the better one, but IMHO we are far too predictable (Stanton & Monfries especially, like to try and dink short passes) looking for the targets.
Have a ping.

He's got to spot the options, decide the best one (keeping in mind that they all lead/don't lead differently) and then he's got a 2-3m target to aim at- even smaller to really give them best chance at it. Then you worry about the other guy beating his man & marking it, and then the set shot.

Goals are 6 metres wide and as high as you like, they move even less than Hilley, and they rarely drop marks.

There's obviously plenty of times when the leading option's going to be the better one, but IMHO we are far too predictable (Stanton & Monfries especially, like to try and dink short passes) looking for the targets.
Have a ping.

They're 6 metres wide, and about 5 metres to the left of where Colyer is kicking to.

Think your being a bit harsh there Ben. I'd rather him have a crack if he has space and is within range.. Same as any player. Unless someone is on and open you take your chances when you get them to have a dig. Just out of curiosity Ben; Do/Did you play much footy?

Sorry didn't mean to sound like a smartarse when I asked that so I'll elaborate a little there, I asked if you play/ had played before because it seems what you asking of colyer is a lot. Even in the crap leagues I've played in, time is short with the ball in hand, it's a lot easier when in range and on a reasonable angle to have a crack at the goals rather than scan the field, pick an option, evaluate where the kick needs to go and then execute and hope the leading player is on the same page. So much more room for error there when passing off, unless the teammate is well and truly in the clear. When having a shot a quick scan of what's ahead before taking the shot is all that is required as the goals don't move, he knows where they are and only has to execute the kick, compared to choosing the right option, figuring out where to go with it ( pretty hard with how congested the game can be these days) and then executing the pass.

Sorry didn't mean to sound like a smartarse when I asked that so I'll elaborate a little there, I asked if you play/ had played before because it seems what you asking of colyer is a lot. Even in the crap leagues I've played in, time is short with the ball in hand, it's a lot easier when in range and on a reasonable angle to have a crack at the goals rather than scan the field, pick an option, evaluate where the kick needs to go and then execute and hope the leading player is on the same page. So much more room for error there when passing off, unless the teammate is well and truly in the clear. When having a shot a quick scan of what's ahead before taking the shot is all that is required as the goals don't move, he knows where they are and only has to execute the kick, compared to choosing the right option, figuring out where to go with it ( pretty hard with how congested the game can be these days) and then executing the pass.

I know what you're saying. I'm a slow ruckman so I must say I don't have a hell of a lot of experience running into an open forwardline with the ball but I do know that it's a bloody hard kick to get right when you're not a brilliant kick. Kicking to the fatside on the other hand isn't any more difficult but it gives you a bit more margin for error because the marking target in space can move to where the ball is.

I'm not saying he should kick there every time, but from a glance, if he can see space and a red and black jumper in the opposite pocket, he should be looking to pop it up for them. The most dangerous forwardlines I've seen, at AFL level and at local level are the ones which look for the fatside option.

I'd normally agree with this, but until Colyer sorts his goal-kicking out, i'd rather someone else took the shot, even if it means stuffing it up.

With the kick in rules now, a wasted shot from 35-40 metres can be rebounded the length of the ground in a flash. If you are a poor shot, you are better off looking for an option and at the least bottling it up in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back