AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

What is the preferred nickname for Alwyn Davey Jr?

• Froggy Jr

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Tadpole

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Guelfi was only first game back and I'm sick with Gresham over Shiel. Don't even think Shiel has been playing in the pocket.

Didn’t mind Guelfi’s game personally. Gresham has been good this year, can forgive the odd quiet game.

Davey had 4 touches and 1 tackle. One kick after half time when the heat was on. Simply has to go (for anyone in the twos who is fit really).

Different roles. They're not asking Davey to be an inside player. He provides pace we don't get anywhere else on the list.
Has to be able to tackle which needs some level of physicality. Also has to win the footy on the inside in the forward line when needed. He has not created any goals from any crumbing work. All his goals have been from receives in space.
With his speed I expect him to have 4 or so tackles a game and be in the 15 to 20 range as far as pressure acts go. If he is not making any tackles or is 12th in the side for pressure acts then his 4 possessions for 2 turnovers is not good enough.
The easiest thing he can do is run and pressure or tackle if he is struggling to find the footy. If he had 3 tackles inside 50 every week and 15 pressure acts then he is fine. Pace is useless if it is having zero effect on any area of the game.

Last edited:

My biggest worry on him is that he looks a step behind AFL when he's on the field. His effort looks first rate because he's regularly beaten to the ball by his opponent so he's always chasing, or he comes off someone when he isn't supposed to and then has to run back after them. He doesn't get to showcase his pace because he's half a second too slow to take advantage of an opening in the opposing zone. And I don't know how he plays around marking contests because I don't notice him. Hopefully it clicks for him a bit but I would be sending him to the 2s to learn.

He doesn’t get the ball enough to make statistical mistakes but I’d consider moving out of the way of a contest as a mistake. The kid has talent but he’s laid 1 tackle in the last 2 games with 64% disposal efficiency. Time for a spell.
With Guelfi back in I wouldn’t mind if he did have a spell

Has to be able to tackle which needs some level of physicality. Also has to win the footy on the inside in the forward line when needed. He has not created any goals from any crumbing work. All his goals have been from receives in space.
With his speed I expect him to have 4 or so tackles a game and be in the 15 to 20 range as far as pressure acts go. If he is not making any tackles or is 12th in the side for pressure acts then his 4 possessions for 2 turnovers is not good enough.
The easiest thing he can do is run and pressure or tackle if he is struggling to find the footy. If he had 3 tackles inside 50 every week and 15 pressure acts then he is fine. Pace is useless if it is having zero effect on any area of the game.
He had about a dozen pressure acts from 60 something % TOG. He's not as far off as people are making out, and the coach seems to have been reasonably happy with how he is applying himself at his role.

My biggest worry on him is that he looks a step behind AFL when he's on the field. His effort looks first rate because he's regularly beaten to the ball by his opponent so he's always chasing, or he comes off someone when he isn't supposed to and then has to run back after them. He doesn't get to showcase his pace because he's half a second too slow to take advantage of an opening in the opposing zone. And I don't know how he plays around marking contests because I don't notice him. Hopefully it clicks for him a bit but I would be sending him to the 2s to learn.
And he's not going to learn the pace of the AFL in the VFL.

He had about a dozen pressure acts from 60 something % TOG. He's not as far off as people are making out, and the coach seems to have been reasonably happy with how he is applying himself at his role.
Last two weeks. 1 tackle. 0 goal assists . 4 score involvements. His role is to pressure and tackle and create goals. I am glad he has had a look but right now he is not at the physical level needed so it really does not matter if he is not as far off as people make out. There are no excuses. He is either ready or he is not. I doubt he will be ready until he gets another pre season under his belt. He has shown he has something to work with for sure but his physical level is not where it needs to be.
The coach was happy to play Tsatas so you can not use that as a defense. ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t see enough of his speed because he just doesn’t position himself well enough to get into the game. Also he has a really slow change of direction when he
doesn’t read the ball well (most of the time).
Other posters here say he doesn’t like physicality, if this is the case he needs to go straight away, I’ve never heard of anyone regrowing a heart.

He's had enough chances to show us what he brings to the team and unfortunately it's not much.

You can't just keep gifting him games while others aren't afforded the same luxury see Tsatas, what message does that send ?

From the games I've watched I'd be trying to get Roberts into the team, at least he can stick a tackle and has a competitive streak in him.

Kicked a nice goal when he had his man beat and had nobody else within 30 metres of him. Will buy him a few more weeks in the team and praise from people who didn't watch the game. Apart from that had only 2 touches. Only remember one thing he did otherwise, ended up with the ball in his arms in the middle of a pack and instantly turned it over due to panic.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

Back