AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

What is the preferred nickname for Alwyn Davey Jr?

• Froggy Jr

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Tadpole

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I want him to succeed but I really have my doubts whether or not he'll develop the fitness/aggression/strength/intensity to make it - and if he does, it's something we'd need to sink 5 years into just to know the answer. Chances are slim if I'm being honest.

I want him to succeed but I really have my doubts whether or not he'll develop the fitness/aggression/strength/intensity to make it - and if he does, it's something we'd need to sink 5 years into just to know the answer. Chances are slim if I'm being honest.

He plays like a guy who knew for a long time he had a free ticket into the AFL rather than a guy who had to scrap for every little thing on his journey to the AFL

All jokes aside the last month about wanting him in the side due to the ‘winning percentage’ he was rightfully dropped on form and if we had some decent mature small forward options the last two years he would have spent the last few years at VFL developing along with Menzie. 5 of his 8 touches where score involvements so there is at least something to salvage but we all know the issues he is having right now and hopefully with some more confidence he can address those issues in the coming years.

I’m not sure he realises how strong he can be over the ball when he applies himself, his contest against Moore on Anzac Day is a good example and hopefully moments like that can help him balance out his game because he can be so creative with ball in hand. If he comes into next year with the intent of getting a lot fitter and meaner he can become a senior regular i just hope he doesn’t get comfortable with his talent level at this stage permanently.

All the fanfare when Davey's were recruited has resulted in nothing.

Did the recruiters get it wrong? were they dominating any level of footy prior to being picked up or was it some romantic whim that they might come good?

Timid is being kind.
Jayden was a highlight reel at school footy but was also injured for long periods. Should really have been a rookie selection.
Alwyn JNR had good under 18 form both in Coates League and for Vic Metro. There was hype for sure but Alwyn was a genuine 20-40 range pick based on his footy.
The issue is the same for a lot of small indigenous boys. They generally do not get going until they are 21 or so. Alwyn senior did not get drafted until he was 22.
Also think the shoulder injury Alwyn copped last year has knocked the confidence in his body . He plays safe footy.

Jayden was a highlight reel at school footy but was also injured for long periods. Should really have been a rookie selection.
Alwyn JNR had good under 18 form both in Coates League and for Vic Metro. There was hype for sure but Alwyn was a genuine 20-40 range pick based on his footy.
The issue is the same for a lot of small indigenous boys. They generally do not get going until they are 21 or so. Alwyn senior did not get drafted until he was 22.
Also think the shoulder injury Alwyn copped last year has knocked the confidence in his body . He plays safe footy.
with regards to Alwyn, does the necessity we have of him playing small forward impede his development as the mid/fwd he played as an U18?

I have always felt, the further up the field he plays, the better he looks. Especially as he matures

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too slow for a small forward, this attribute should already be there, can’t be learnt and is not coming back.

Through no fault of his own got there on his surname and another Dodoro inept decision with a touch of romance.

Delist.

Way too slow for a small forward, this attribute should already be there, can’t be learnt and is not coming back.

Through no fault of his own got there on his surname and another Dodoro inept decision with a touch of romance.

Delist.

Shit post. He’s not slow, he’s scared to use his pace to his advantage. Plays, safe, timid, reactive footy and is way off the mark at AFL level.

He was a no brainer selection with a junk third round F/S pick so not sure how Dodoro came into the conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

Back