Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George - re-signed until end of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite narrative in here is the people that think 1 year is fine but 2 years is abhorrent 😂 Get a grip. George’s 200K is not costing us anyone that matters
Yeh he’s not going to be on big coin - just enough to pay his rent, cafe bills and offseason holiday. Cheap hedge IMO, could be a star, who knows, but for a couple hundred grand it’s worth taking a punt.

To be fair there's been plenty of that.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has there? Plenty? Some bad calls but not plenty.

Many of the things people claimed were negligent list management 6 months ago don't seem to be standing up now. No KPDs, signing Xerri, Larkey, Simpkin, Sheezel to long deals, every recruit is a failure, all our MSD picks are wrong and shit etc etc. But because people repeated this stuff ad nauseum for ages it sticks in their mind without holding up to serious scrutiny.

Yeh he’s not going to be on big coin - just enough to pay his rent, cafe bills and offseason holiday. Cheap hedge IMO, could be a star, who knows, but for a couple hundred grand it’s worth taking a punt.
🤣 I’m completely onboard with the club here. However, a 20 year old on $200K is not exactly struggling.

1 year would’ve given him certainty also

Gives him a full 12 months to recover plus time to then show he’s fine before extending again

He will play the same football for North as Biggie Nguyon will during their contracts.

So about the same value for money for the club.

I know which one has the better long term prospects at the club, despite the injury.

Last edited:
Would have been piss poor to get rid of George and give him 2 years puts faith in him for 1 to get the knee right without any worries about his position and 2 get back let’s say late June early July 2025 then get at least 6 to 7 games right then have 2026 to look forward too.
But I dare say for 2025 the club will put on the rookie list can’t see the club having 1 player short on the list.

Would have been piss poor to get rid of George and give him 2 years puts faith in him for 1 to get the knee right without any worries about his position and 2 get back let’s say late June early July 2025 then get at least 6 to 7 games right then have 2026 to look forward too.
But I dare say for 2025 the club will put on the rookie list can’t see the club having 1 player short on the list.
He will probably be put on the inactive list, 2025 will be rehabbing and building match fitness

They can't put him on the rookie list.

He's a main listed player that is now contracted until 2026.

I also doubt they put him on the LTI, and take a MSD replacement unless there's other LTI injuries. (high possibility, but not a certainty, not all clubs have them)

If there are no other LTI's, he wont be able to play any VFL football for 2025.

Barring any setbacks, he should be able to play 7-8 VFL games next year.

I doubt he's put on the LTI, the same way Logue wasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many of the things people claimed were negligent list management 6 months ago don't seem to be standing up now. No KPDs, signing Xerri, Larkey, Simpkin, Sheezel to long deals, every recruit is a failure, all our MSD picks are wrong and shit etc etc. But because people repeated this stuff ad nauseum for ages it sticks in their mind without holding up to serious scrutiny.

You seem to think the club can do no wrong so I'm not going to spell out what others have previously.

Yeah the bloke’s a shoulder guru.

After my own second reco I made the mistake of praising him to his face and adding “what a waste of two years I had leading to seeing you. Tens of physio appointments, sports medico’s doing manipulation and eventually cortisone injections followed by guided ones under Xray or MRI and then the hydrodilatation injections at Vic House to free up the joint. All pointless!”

I say mistake because he responded with “well I can’t see everyone…….I don’t have the time!” in a stern voice. We got through that and were very well acquainted by the final appointment post the 3rd.

Rapt for Sausage. He’s made the right impression around the team and club and we are indeed backing him in. It sends the right message to the rest of the boys that we’ll stick by you as well, which could be important among the group as we rise.
Sounds pretty much like every surgeon I know.
Lot's of them have an almost ASD like ability to misread lighthearted banter and take it too literally.
They're a special breed!

There's no mechanism to just move someone from the senior list to the rookie list. You have to delist them and take them in the rookie draft or SSP. And if we did that he'd just get picked by someone else, most likely.

You seem to think the club can do no wrong so I'm not going to spell out what others have previously.

The club went through a lengthy period where it could do no right. However, in hindsight, we’ve hardly put a foot wrong on the drafting side of things since 2020. Some of this is due to complete dumb luck, it has to be said. The JHF disaster seems to have worked to our benefit. Likewise, the TT debacle has freed up a lot of money. Then, there is:-

Sheez,
Wardlaw,
Curtis,
Ford,
Phillips
Powell
McKercher,
Duursma,
Archer,
Goater

None of the above were busts. Some are potential club champions.

Corr, Logue, Tucker, Shiels are viable.

Right now, Sleevo is, probably, our biggest downer. However, we all know that he can turn it around - if he puts his head down. Cooper Harvey needs to show something more. However, he was a low draft pick. Pink has over delivered. Our MSD guys haven’t been great. Teakle is giving something, though.

Clarko has gone on record as saying that Brayden could be better than Harry and the Warden of the North!

Edit: Dawson the Elder is a great MSD.

I forgot Dawson junior who could be great.

Stephens and Zak are viable.

I wish I was on not big coin of $200 k or so to spend my days in the gym ..

All relative of course 😂

Excellent decision.

A young list sees a valued peer who has done everything right get supported and a potential Cadillac footballer gets reasonable time to deliver.

Right...

It's hard for the club to expect loyalty from a group of young players (Think McKercher....) if you aren't willing to show it to one of their mates in a time of need.

This sort of stuff permeates.

Listen to how Comben treated it and paid it back a week ago, he's more than likely taken unders after the club stood by him.

Hopefully it's remembered when the club requires it the other way.

That's just running away.

Many of the things that others have spelt out before are the things I mentioned that don't look so bad now.

People were using the recruitment of Corr and Fisher as examples of negligent list management, also using our failure to draft players in the MSD who are any good. The recruiting Stephenson and Stephens, too many small midfielders and a a whole bunch of other stuff that isn't really accurate.

Over the summer the "others" you mentioned claimed our lack of a backline was negligent. Especially the lack of KPD players. They said playing Comben there was a poor attempt to cover their mistakes and lack of care in keeping Magoo at the club.

Giving Jy and Souv long contracts was also a poor decision according to some. These same people would scream for a year if LDU left but when he states those contracts and what they represent (the club and players believing in each other) is one of the reasons he wants to stay and be a one club player do you still think they were poor decisions?

People have said we have no small forwards, but we have four on the list. Harvey, Hansen Jr, and Payne and Paul Curtis. In the course of criticising our lack of small forwards some people have said that Cooper Harvey, who is under six feet tall, is somehow not a small forward. This sort of thing is ludicrous and pointing it out doesn't mean someone thinks the club can do no wrong, it means that whatever was posted is stupid.

People have said we have no big midfielders but at the start of this year we had LDU, Thomas and Greenwood to cover them. Apparently we had no ruck stocks added to that giving Tristan Xerri a four year contract extension was poor list management and a sign of desperation three months ago. Is that one of the things other people have said about our negligent list management that you agree with?

As I said in that post where you claim I said the club can do no wrong there have been poor list management decisions, the most obvious being the recruitment of CCJ. Our lack of KPFs is a massive issue. (One that wouldn't have been solved by Logan McDonald but you wouldn't know that listening to Kane Cornholio or his mouthpieces on here.)

You shouldn't confuse thinking the club can do no wrong with not being a panic merchant who constantly looks for opportunities to cry, sook or whinge ... cos they are different things.

Yeah, the weird nerds who like to blame everything on Brady having a shocker now. Even our mid season drafting is looking OK now via K. Dawson and Teakle.

I don't mind this George decision at all, looks like its as much about culture as anything.

Yeah, the weird nerds who like to blame everything on Brady having a shocker now. Even our mid season drafting is looking OK now via K. Dawson and Teakle.

I don't mind this George decision at all, looks like its as much about culture as anything.
I like it for those reasons but also remember other sides pulling these gun players out of nowhere while at the top of the ladder and it was because they'd had serious injuries while younger and the clubs had backed them for years and got rewarded for it when they came good.

If the players have enough talent its a risk worth taking. It was worth doing with Garner and Jacobs and its worth doing with George.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back