Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

We've basically got all mids apart from McBean. Mcintosh is a wing and Mcdonough is a aspiring mid. THen we got Vlastuin. Mcintosh looks nice on the wing. I'm salivating.
No pendles. Don't think he'll go inside.
I'm just wondering who'll go on the wing? Newman, Houli or Mcintosh. Or maybe he'll bench it.

From that highlights video he looks to have great disposal, marking and a bit of speed and mongrel about him. Would love to see him develop as a mid, would be very exciting, especially with that endurance base. Time will tell.

Fits all the key criteria. Obviously is a person of outstanding character given the fact that he has brought up his siblings, held down a job, gone to school and still managed time to train and play football at a high level. Given these other commitments, it is scary to think how he will develop given a full time 24 hour a day concentration on his football. Has clean skills and good decision making (from highlights) and a lot of pace and agility for a bloke his size. Is 192cm but plays more like a 180cm player the way he sidesteps others.. This pick makes me as excited as when I first saw Batchelor at a similar pick.. Will need at least a season of development though before he is likely to perform well enough to break into the side, so I hope others give him time... Only concern I have with him is that he is very close to his family, which brings the "go home" factor into play, however, I am confident the club discussed this in the interviews with him and were satisfied that he isn't a risk.

Really interesting life he's lived. Was hoping someone would find that article. Good stuff Toady.

Welcome to the club Kamdyn. Not one I really saw and hence had down my rankings. A 192cm midfielder fills me with genuine excitement. Great kick, lovely size and probably will play some senior footy next year.

"He played soccer before switching to Football at 14.

McIntosh's late start in Football has meant this is his first year representing his state......"

I am curious, should we be excited by the fact that he's only been in the game for 3-4 years? Or is this common for kids in the draft. I know a lot has been said about Dea's late start as well.

We certainly seem to be chasing a level headed mature head on young shoulders Type these past few years. I like it.

Welcome to Tigerland Kamdyn!

Welcome aboard Kamdyn!
Apparently WC were keen in acquiring your services.
IMO buddy, strap yourself in for the ride of your life!!!

"He played soccer before switching to Football at 14.

McIntosh's late start in Football has meant this is his first year representing his state......"

I am curious, should we be excited by the fact that he's only been in the game for 3-4 years? Or is this common for kids in the draft. I know a lot has been said about Dea's late start as well.

We certainly seem to be chasing a level headed mature head on young shoulders Type these past few years. I like it.

Welcome to Tigerland Kamdyn!
A lot of this depends whether he playing was playing footy with his mates at school, after school etc and playing soccer competitively. If so it wouldn't be anywhere near as big a change than if he'd never picked up a footy before he was 14yo.

Anyway competitive footy only really starts looking anything like a senior game at U13s, before that its mostly a bunch of kids following the ball around.

I've got mates in their 20s who have never played competitive footy, who from their skills look like they'd be very handy on a decent suburban side if they ever decided to give it a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few phantom drafts I've seen had him going to Freo at pick 17 and to Swans at pick 22. He has elite endurance and is a very good kick. Good pick-up.

Very happy with this selection. I picked Kamdyn for Freo on the Richmond board phantom a few weeks back so I'd been watching him a bit. He's a very good, very versatile kid. I didn't realize until reading that article that he only started playing footy at 14. Remarkable that he has such a good skill set for a kid who's only played the game for 4 odd years. Remarkable.

Our selections are starting to make more and more sense, 1 pure mid and 2 with strong midfield potential but also able to play either end of the ground. Versatile players.

RICHMOND

It seems like even if Lachie Whitfield had somehow fallen to pick nine, the Tigers still would have drafted Nick Vlastuin. That's how much they loved him and his aggressive, tough streak. After that the Tigers went big, clearly on the lookout for some back up in defence and attack. Kamdyn McIntosh rose up the ranks towards the end of the year and would have been snapped up by West Coast if he got through to its first pick, while Liam McBean will be a project player: he has talent but needs time to develop his wiry frame. Matthew Mcdonough's solid frame should see him get a few games next year.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151600/default.aspx

Welcome Kamdyn. Touted as a possible pick at 16 in some mock drafts. Excellent character too. Heard on the radio something bout how he was helping look after his younger siblings whilst his parents are back and forward to the mines in WA. Looking forward to a great career :thumbsu:

Not only that but working 2 jobs to help out the family. Sounds like a great character - can see why we drafted him.

Great endurance as well. Strong skills. If he has pace, he will be an exciting prospect.

Tiger strike stuns a gun

Peel teenager Kamdyn McIntosh had prepared for the worst yesterday, before the euphoria of being drafted by Richmond.
Despite being widely regarded as a potential top-50 selection, tall defender McIntosh said he was stunned when the Tigers snared him with their second pick and No.31 overall in the national draft.
"I was thinking whatever happens, happens and so be it," McIntosh said. "I was preparing for the worst, to be honest, so the fact that I got picked up by Richmond was just awesome.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/15455156/tiger-strike-stuns-a-gun/

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back