Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

Your last section of your last sentence is the critical point in this discussion and what people supporting Kmac action have missed. He had no hope of getting anywhere near the other player so he had to then hold up Stringer. It was a blunder of gross unawareness and unacceptable for a player of his experience. Imagine if Cumberland made the same error? The public outcry on this forum for his arrest and hanging would be greater the Spanish Inquisition.

This has been my gripe. Where Dimma in his post match pressers has been quick to point out errors that are a result of young players not up to it, he has completely ignored the experienced blokes from the same pressure. This has been a thing for quite a while too, I feel like there was a similar problem with the previous younger core of CCJ, Naish, RCD & far lesser extent - Chol. He never showed any trust in them, they were always only ever back-ups if an injury plague happened. We can't afford to have this current crop of kids flame out like the last lot - we had 5 top 30 picks, they can't be duds otherwise we are screwed.

Well then they’ve revised it to 61 %and given him an extra mark. Dusty still on 58% and Cotchin 55%. Jack on 18%

This is the deal we accepted when we committed to one more year though. Its always the case - you will get 1 decent game, 1 shocker, another decent or shocker, then 1 great or thorwback game. wash. rinse.repeat. Dusty's form has been pretty exciting. though, it would be excellent to see him hit somewhere close to peak for a prolonged time again - if that happens then the potential of this side could go anywhere. His best has always been that good. The other 2 though are really locked into that above rotation of form now. When your most experienced players & leaders become your most inconsistent performers - you run the risk of serious team culture/chemistry issues. Its awesome to watch the throwback performance, but games like this week are hard to watch & way more common. How is a team meant to create consistent good form ?

This is the deal we accepted when we committed to one more year though. Its always the case - you will get 1 decent game, 1 shocker, another decent or shocker, then 1 great or thorwback game. wash. rinse.repeat. Dusty's form has been pretty exciting. though, it would be excellent to see him hit somewhere close to peak for a prolonged time again - if that happens then the potential of this side could go anywhere. His best has always been that good. The other 2 though are really locked into that above rotation of form now. When your most experienced players & leaders become your most inconsistent performers - you run the risk of serious team culture/chemistry issues. Its awesome to watch the throwback performance, but games like this week are hard to watch & way more common. How is a team meant to create consistent good form ?

It was a dirty day.

Who said he would've still kicked it, he was 60 out, and then macca opened the path for him he took the extra meters and kicked it from 51 meters out.
stringer is a mercurial player but also hit and miss

jake shoved macca into the path of a running bomber....who was most likely to be the recipient of a handball receive...macca probably should have stopped and hedged his bets but ran off thinking a team mate was coming and stringer would stop and weigh up his options, also worth noting that taranto and bolton could have made more of an effort to shut jake down.

stringer is selfish and often he blazes away and sprays those.

macca has egg on his face but stringer is paid the big bucks and it was no coincidence jakeys last 5 minutes after having little influence got bombers home with 3 or 4 crucial plays. sometimes brilliant play is overlooked rather than applauded and hindsight and slo mo replays make it look worst that it actually was. not sticking up for macca too much tho as half his kicking was reserve grade suburban stuff.

It was a dirty day.

Yep. But its real hard to accept the feedback & reaction to Noah's "dirty day" vs those of Cotch, Riewoldt & KMac. All good systems involving people should revolve around equality and fairness. Any good group i have ever seen has been very consistent with its ethos & pathos.

This is why our culture which once was our strength, has completely failed. This is not sustainable. The amount of idiotic losses & complete and utter "give up" moments this team has had since 2020 has been the warning sign that this club has lost it togetherness & fracturing. They are not traits of a "tight group". You NEVER hear Dimma talk of "The Brotherhood" anymore. That culture is clearly gone in the sense that it used to exist, meaning it once was the backbone to our success & now it is the backbone of our problem

Yep. But its real hard to accept the feedback & reaction to Noah's "dirty day" vs those of Cotch, Riewoldt & KMac. All good systems involving people should revolve around equality and fairness. Any good group i have ever seen has been very consistent with its ethos & pathos.

This is why our culture which once was our strength, has completely failed. This is not sustainable. The amount of idiotic losses & complete and utter "give up" moments this team has had since 2020 has been the warning sign that this club has lost it togetherness & fracturing. They are not traits of a "tight group". You NEVER hear Dimma talk of "The Brotherhood" anymore. That culture is clearly gone in the sense that it used to exist, meaning it once was the backbone to our success & now it is the backbone of our problem
I felt it all ended when Cotchin gave up the captaincy. I wanted him as our leader until he retired just like Selwood. This dual captaincy thing is an admission there isn’t a true future leader like Cotchin in the group. It just means there’s two blokes we can’t drop now when they’re performing poorly and we have to rush them back after injury. These are all slight openings in the fine cracks in the dam before it bursts. I know Dimma has a lot of respect and admiration for our champions, but it’s got to the stage of nepotism and this was happening up to 2016 before every person in the club was put on the same level playing field. As soon as the intelligence started to slowly leave to other opportunities we went back to our old ways. It’s horrible to think we are back to seven years ago except for the fact I’m seven years younger again.

100% - and the failures repeat and repeat. It’s like a DVD. That last quarter against the Swans. This is the shit we now dish up when a game’s on the line. And it’s not just this season. We’ve been doing it for three seasons. And still, when it comes to Hardwick accepting any responsibility, it’s always, “the flags, the flags, he won three flags”.

100% - and the failures repeat and repeat. It’s like a DVD. That last quarter against the Swans. This is the s**t we now dish up when a game’s on the line. And it’s not just this season. We’ve been doing it for three season’s. And still, when it comes to Hardwick accepting any responsibilit, it’s always, “the flags, the flags, he won three flags”. Well, the f cking flags aren’t getting us out of this cycle.

Yes thats the issue. The group has not learned from the mistakes they have made. Since the Lions game where they failed to spoil the goal square, we now have had a few occasions where they again have failed to clear the ball cleanly despite having numbers and prime positioning. We even did one in this game - was not un the goal square &it didn't end up costing us a goal, but it was the same fundamental "shit ya yarbels" brain fart moment.

Ten pages going back and forth over the Stringer Bell incident. What about the on the full kick to Bolton under zero pressure? He does it several times a game. When will the imbecile stop kicking so close to the boundary line??? Sad thing is he's probably aiming for 10m in but his disposals so sh1t it always sails over ootf!!! IDGAF about any of his running meaningless stats/ speeds I want Pickett back on the wing with Banks on the other. I'm hoping he's playing for one of the WA teams next year and we miraculously get a 3rd round compo for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt it all ended when Cotchin gave up the captaincy. I wanted him as our leader until he retired just like Selwood. This dual captaincy thing is an admission there isn’t a true future leader like Cotchin in the group. It just means there’s two blokes we can’t drop now when they’re performing poorly and we have to rush them back after injury. These are all slight openings in the fine cracks in the dam before it bursts. I know Dimma has a lot of respect and admiration for our champions, but it’s got to the stage of nepotism and this was happening up to 2016 before every person in the club was put on the same level playing field. As soon as the intelligence started to slowly leave to other opportunities we went back to our old ways. It’s horrible to think we are back to seven years ago except for the fact I’m seven years younger again.

Yeah actually never thought of the captaincy much, but i do agree. The era officially ended when Cotchin stood down - the rest after that is more than likely all contracts, getting paid, extending incomes etc. Which is somewhat fair of these guys, they have given us a lot, they want to extend their opportunity to profit on that career as long as possible. Its the harsh reality of modern sport though, no time for love, Dr Jones

I agree as well I would have much rathered he carry the mantle until his end. He was a great captain, but it all wore him down, emotionally.

I honestly feel all the stuff that happened re his wife and family over the hub situation + the Hardwick marriage break-up took a real toll on him & he felt compromised as a leader after that. That situation would of anyone though, it was pretty messy. I thought the way the AFL media attacked his wife in the hub was really gross. His family didn't deserve to be targeted. In regards to the Hardwicks side of it, of course that would have been extremely difficult for him both professionally & personally, once again. Before the break-up there was countless times both Dimma & Trent talked at length about how both their families were tied to the hip & spending special times like Christmas & birthdays together.
I always thought it was cool that they got along so well & was proud of the club over it. During our flag years, our club was legit great place i think. I don't reckon Matthew Knights & Robert Walls were spending Xmas together, thats for ****ing sure. It's something you do when your work life is so good you also make it your personal life. I have a similar job & its awesome when its all going well, but the problem is when one thing goes in one side, it has a genuinely bad ripple effect on the other side. You are always playing life on a "double or nothing" bet

Last edited:
What was wrong with it ? He topped the ranking in most running stats . 2.9km at top speed. Highest average speed in forward line . Highest ave speed total . 2nd in just about every thing else. This is week in and week out.
63 disposal efficiency. Jack went at 18 . Dusty 50 something . Baker 60 something.

I don’t think we have anyone left that can get around the MCG like him.
He plays spent which is tough and means others don’t.
I’ll be shocked if he’s dropped.
The running means absolutely nothing if you are not having an positive impact on the contest. Kmac is not have a positive impact for us.

All I hear is he runs this, he runs that... it used to be he's a great overhead mark for a winger, which has been proven incorrect. he may be a great bloke, and all the players may love him, and in truth, I love what he's brought to the club, but that doesn't buy you a pass forever.

If/when he gets his hands on it 8-10 times, 4 will be small chip passes, of no great benefit, 3 will end up being long bombs to no one or no where, the last 3 will be absolute clangers and costly turnovers that either cost us a scoring opportunity or result in a driect scoring opportunity for the oppo.

There was the OOF to Bolton in the last, there was the one on the HFF where he was all by himself and he laced out an Ess defender directly on the chest.

Then there was his appalling decision to not man the mark on Stringer... when you lose by a point and a player does all those things in the last quarter, it goes a long way to costing you the game.

No I’m pointing out a situation that is about as bad as it gets. What do you think Dimma is ranting about . How the hell did stringer get the ball where he did from a centre bounce or KMac covering his man running into the 50. ?

If you don't know what happened, you don't know a lot about football. But just in case, let me tell you.

Stringer was a lazy campaigner, trying to cheat out the back, he ran forward even when it looked like we were going to win the clearance, and we were outnumbering the oppo at the contest which is how we like to play.

It broke down simply because we lost the contest, so it might be on the mids for losing the contest, but it is not on them for not manning up someone who was trying to cheat at the stoppage. In fact the defenders should have pushed up to the back of the contest to take away Stringers space.

HOWEVER, even when that fell apart, what a stupid decision to not man the most dangerous person on the field at that particular time... You say, but what about his opponent, his opponent was FURTEHR waway from goals than Stringer at the time. And by manning the mark, there was a possibility his opponent got it, sure, but it also would have bought time for the rest of the team to close space on any other option and let Stringer take a shot from 60 which he wouldn't have kicked, or kick to a contest inside 50, instead KMAC gave him the easiest option of the lot, which was to stroll to 50 and pin the ears back.

He has been really poor all year KMac, there is no way on form, nor even the structure people rave about because he didn't contribute to that either, that he should be in the team this week, an in fact, should spend at least a month in the vfl to earn a spot back.

Looking at that footage is sickening. You don't under any circumstance run away from the mark when a player of stringers ability is within 55, basically gave him a free pass to goals.
First time I’ve watched the replay of the Stringer goal. Been long time defender of kMac but that was atrocious. 100% should have stood the mark, just gifted the dud an easy shot at goal

No I’m talking about before stinger took the mark

If he stays on his man on the wing stringer was still left alone by the midfield group and gets the mark except he cop the criticism for the goal he is copping now at all
Yes, I agree with what you’re saying BUT, he did leave his man and did have the chance to stop Stringer playing on. He elected not to do so and that was a howler as it cost us a goal imo.

Last edited:
Who says Stringer would have popped it over? you're just assuming making assertions to suit your own narrative.
Hypothetically speaking if he did no way anyone would blame Macca other players need to come up and close the space.
Btw, Stringer is a selfish player who wants the big moments, and no way he would've kicked it from 60+ out.
If you look at the footage, Stringer would have been hard pressed to pop it over to anyone as our defensive structure forward of the mark was actually pretty good

Last edited:
No im not misisng any point. Played footy long enough to know things happen on the park, and players lose other players in traffic. Macca had a chance to right a wrong but he allowed a dangerous forward to just waltz into open 50.
So you playing footy for long enough in today's AFL system, please understand that the system broke down leaving Mac in a position where his own pillory was the outcome. In this play his team mates inactions made mac look foolish. A match review will point this out to the team. 6, 6, 6 and "chips" is in play, Stringer has an opponent somewhere.

Mac will reviewed less favorably for disposals that were turned over to the opposition.

Opposition coaches must love seeing blokes like Kamden in the team. He's not a factor you ever need worry about you don't need to account for him but you can certainly exploit him as a weakness. I wonder if he played a month without topping 5 touches if he'd retain his spot? Nothing surer than Banks and Ralphsmiths necks are on the chopping board yet McIntosh and Graham's are never. Ever.

Opposition coaches must love seeing blokes like Kamden in the team. He's not a factor you ever need worry about you don't need to account for him but you can certainly exploit him as a weakness. I wonder if he played a month without topping 5 touches if he'd retain his spot? Nothing surer than Banks and Ralphsmiths necks are on the chopping board yet McIntosh and Graham's are never. Ever.

Didn’t work out for the opposition coaches the last couple of weeks. Go the Tigers .

McIntosh has been selected in 163 of 248 games Richmond has played since he was drafted. So you are a certain type of correct. Incorrect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back