Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes you think Bellchambers will have to compete?
I think Phillips will be lauded for 3 or 4 solid and competitive games early on. Not sure Bellchambers will be a walk up start.

The expectations on Bellchambers from Rutten & Caracella will be very different to last year when Tom would get a game if he was well enough to bend over and lace up his boots.

You'd have to say right now he's comfortably our number 1 ruck. Bellchambers has some credits in the bank and will get another crack at it but I feel he may have to earn his spot back now given there's others capable who can step up if required.... Great to finally have a bit of ruck depth with 6 players on our list who can genuinely ruck - I'd have our ruckman starting 2020 in the following order;-

Phillips
Bellcho
Draper
McKernan* (more a key forward now but can chop out)
Crauford
Bryan

Do you think the new regime will persist with the same pecking order selection criteria? Hopefully we see some agility with selection this season.
It’s March and no hopes have been ruined yet lol.

But yes it feels like we are seeing a recruiting & coaching preference for hard nosed team defense and competitive spirit. That doesn’t work if you have any holes.. Eg a few forwards and a ruck who like to wander around.

I think Phillips will be lauded for 3 or 4 solid and competitive games early on. Not sure Bellchambers will be a walk up start.

The expectations on Bellchambers from Rutten & Caracella will be very different to last year when Tom would get a game if he was well enough to bend over and lace up his boots.

Good point. I still think as long as Worsfold is around, those older guys are walk-up starts, irrelevant of form. It might change in 2021 once Rutten permanently takes over, but Worsfold hasn't changed his ways in 5 years. I loved Myers, but the handling of him was a debacle. He looked so far removed from being AFL-quality in the game before he had to 'drop' himself.

Bellchambers (hopefully) isn't at that stage yet, but we do need to handle the senior guys phasing out better than we have in the past.

Francis and Phillips tomorrow:

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now let's just keep our powder dry when he gets torched by Grundy.

He's playing to give us some presence at the contest.

A respectable defeat is all we can expect. Obviously anything can happen on the day.

It will be a pleasant change to see our ruckman play with a bit of vigor.

Now let's just keep our powder dry when he gets torched by Grundy.

He's playing to give us some presence at the contest.

A respectable defeat is all we can expect. Obviously anything can happen on the day.

It will be a pleasant change to see our ruckman play with a bit of vigor.
If he gets torched by Grundy they'll think it justifies Bellchambers getting a heap more games. Bellchambers is being "managed".

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back