Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

From a leadership point of view he’s exactly what Adelaide need. I can see why they would chase him considering the leadership void there and Graham’s Premiership success.
Could see him in the captain role.
Geez it’d be a big call to go to Adelaide though. You’d be kissing goodbye finals footy for the next 5 years
He grew up an Adelaide fan and Sloane was his idol growing up, also while his girlfriend came east with him isn’t the rest of their family over in Adelaide? I’m not worried about him going to Essendon, I’m worried about him going home to Adelaide, he may be kissing finals goodbye for a few years, but man he’s already won a premiership, he’d probably be tempted.

No way we give him away to Essendon for sfa- give em some of their own medicine at the trade table.
Balmy just on SEN and was asked about Graham - said that we try and accommodate player moves.
Ties in with Tiger71 saying Graham probably going in a multi team trade

Didn't he say last year that he loved the place so much that he wanted to be a one club player with Richmond ?

You might want to be a one club player, but if say a club in your home state is offering $450k x 4 years and Richmond offer $300k for 2 years, you are almost compelled to leave.

You can understand the Bombers’ interest in some of our players given the inside knowledge of Rutten and Caracella, but I could really see the Crows coming hard for any or all of the South Australians on our list, Graham, Coleman-Jones and even Markov now. You wouldn’t even rule out them enquiring about a Shane Edwards on a 2-3 year deal for some short term leadership.

Probably very unlikely this but let’s say Crows under a good young coach want to fast track things a bit. They:

(OUT)
1. sack Walker, looks a given to me, frees up cap space but you won’t get anything for him, unless Geelong or Hawks want yet another pensioner.

2. get pick 2 as compensation for B Crouch so long as he gets a decent offer, and he should. Frees up more cap space.

3. unload M Crouch, get what you can for him, someone will give a half decent pick, let’s say pick 15, frees up more cap space.

4. Gibbs goes, frees up more cap space, probably like Walker, not worth anything in terms of picks.

5. There may be others like Lynch, Brown, Atkins, Hartigan but they won’t be worth much. Not surprised if at least two of those go though, a bit more cap space free.

Leaves them moving on from a lot of failures, with loads of cap space, and probably the following draft picks inside the top 50: 1, 2, 10(GWS first rounder,) 15, 19, 27(Dogs second rounder.) 42(Freo 3rd rounder,) and 46(Pies 3rd rounder)

I know it is not a great year to be holding a huge array of draft picks like that, but they are worth something.

The Crows then try to trade for the 4 South Australian Tigers, and maybe someone else....

(In)
1. Get Edwards interested with a 2-3 year deal on big money. Leadership and a short term positional need for them, frees up cap space for the Tigers.

2. Get Coleman-Jones interested with a 4 x $400k deal, he gets a starting position as key forward and relief ruck.

3. Get Graham interested with a similar deal to Coleman-Jones. Crows get a much needed high pressure mid. A hard body, and some potential leadership.

4. Get Markov interested with a 3 year x $350k deal and the potential of more AFL games. Good age group for them, penetrating running back.

5. Even see if they can get Rance off his backside with a big 2-3 year deal.

They get 4-5 players who can add to their team in crucial positions immediately, two strong immediate leaders, and a couple of potential leaders. Three younger potentially decent players they should get plenty from longer term.

We want picks 2 and 10 to add to 18, 29(Saints second rounder) and 36. We go to the draft looking for some future elite, but try to get a good free agent in, using our extra cap space.

They still go to the draft with 1, 15, 19, 27 and a couple of picks in the 40’s, a really strong hand.

Crows lineup in rd 1 barring injuries with:

Rance Talia Doedee
Markov McAsey McPherson
Seedsman Laird Smith
Edwards Coleman-Jones Milera
Stengle Himmelberg Fogarty

O’Brien Graham Sloane

I/C Hamill(back,) Mcadam(forward,) Sholl(outside mid,) Keays(inside mid)

They wouldn’t have a lot else on their list but some will improve and they would get picks 1, 15, 19, 27 which should get them some players who can play in 2021.

I know it won’t be popular here but a deal like this could help set both clubs up for the future.

Last edited:
You might want to be a one club player, but if say a club in your home state is offering $450k x 4 years and Richmond offer $300k for 2 years, you are almost compelled to leave.

You can understand the Bombers’ interest in some of our players given the inside knowledge of Rutten and Caracella, but I could really see the Crows coming hard for any or all of the South Australians on our list, Graham, Coleman-Jones and even Markov now. You wouldn’t even rule out them enquiring about a Shane Edwards on a 2-3 year deal for some short term leadership.

Probably very unlikely this but let’s say Crows under a good young coach want to fast track things a bit. They:

(OUT)
1. sack Walker, looks a given to me, frees up cap space but you won’t get anything for him, unless Geelong or Hawks want yet another pensioner.

2. get pick 2 as compensation for B Crouch so long as he gets a decent offer, and he should. Frees up more cap space.

3. unload M Crouch, get what you can for him, someone will give a half decent pick, let’s say pick 15, frees up more cap space.

4. Gibbs goes, frees up more cap space, probably like Walker, not worth anything in terms of picks.

5. There may be others like Lynch, Brown, Atkins, Hartigan but they won’t be worth much. Not surprised if at least two of those go though, a bit more cap space free.

Leaves them moving on from a lot of failures, with loads of cap space, and probably the following draft picks inside the top 50: 1, 2, 10(GWS first rounder,) 15, 19, 27(Dogs second rounder.) 42(Freo 3rd rounder,) and 46(Pies 3rd rounder)

I know it is not a great year to be holding a huge array of draft picks like that, but they are worth something.

The Crows then try to trade for the 4 South Australian Tigers, and maybe someone else....

(In)
1. Get Edwards interested with a 2-3 year deal on big money. Leadership and a short term positional need for them, frees up cap space for the Tigers.

2. Get Coleman-Jones interested with a 4 x $400k deal, he gets a starting position as key forward and relief ruck.

3. Get Graham interested with a similar deal to Coleman-Jones. Crows get a much needed high pressure mid. A hard body, and some potential leadership.

4. Get Markov interested with a 3 year x $350k deal and the potential of more AFL games. Good age group for them, penetrating running back.

5. Even see if they can get Rance off his backside with a big 2-3 year deal.

They get 4-5 players who can add to their team in crucial positions immediately, two strong immediate leaders, and a couple of potential leaders. Three younger potentially decent players they should get plenty from longer term.

We want picks 2 and 10 to add to 18, 29(Saints second rounder) and 36. We go to the draft looking for some future elite, but try to get a good free agent in, using our extra cap space.

They still go to the draft with 1, 15, 19, 27 and a couple of picks in the 40’s, a really strong hand.

Crows lineup in rd 1 barring injuries with:

Rance Talia Doedee
Markov McAsey McPherson
Seedsman Laird Smith
Edwards Coleman-Jones Milera
Stengle Himmelberg Fogarty

O’Brien Graham Sloane

I/C Hamill(back,) Mcadam(forward,) Sholl(outside mid,) Keays(inside mid)

They wouldn’t have a lot else on their list but some will improve and they would get picks 1, 15, 19, 27 which should get them some players who can play in 2021.

I know it won’t be popular here but a deal like this could help set both clubs up for the future.
Interesting scenario. From opposition view, it would be unusual to have so many come in from the one club at once. Also, Edwards would be a big loss to us from both a cultural & playing perspective, but I also see the potential benefits of a trade given he would still have currency despite his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would hate to see him go - thought he played well on Monday and was instrumental in us at least breaking even in the clearance battle - which is pretty rare for us. He did a lot of tough stuff which prob didn't get him any stats. We look a lot better at stoppages with him working with Cotch in and under to muscle it out and then Bolton and Dusty lurking on the immediate outside to clear it. Tiges look like a decent clearance team with that setup

Would hate to see him go - thought he played well on Monday and was instrumental in us at least breaking even in the clearance battle - which is pretty rare for us. He did a lot of tough stuff which prob didn't get him any stats. We look a lot better at stoppages with him working with Cotch in and under to muscle it out and then Bolton and Dusty lurking on the immediate outside to clear it. Tiges look like a decent clearance team with that setup
Yeah, and Crows are probably looking at Port and thinking Jack at a modest cost would be handy against their inside midfielders with B Crouch looking likely to head elsewhere.

well it was balmey who said it. Not like it was Tom Browne
“Clearly we’re keen for him to stay, clearly we don’t want him to go, but we’re also open to, like if he’s not getting a game and he comes back to us and says ‘I’m not playing as much as I’d like’, well we’ll certainly look at it.
“If he’s got somewhere he wants to go, we’ll certainly talk about it, but we’re very keen for him to stay. That’ll work itself out I think.”

That could be said of many on the list. Richmond have let players go when they have wanted out. But right now as the season tapers you'd think that Graham has only one thing on his mind, trying to stay in the side. Reporters and their mid season swapping, not good.

“Clearly we’re keen for him to stay, clearly we don’t want him to go, but we’re also open to, like if he’s not getting a game and he comes back to us and says ‘I’m not playing as much as I’d like’, well we’ll certainly look at it.
“If he’s got somewhere he wants to go, we’ll certainly talk about it, but we’re very keen for him to stay. That’ll work itself out I think.”

That could be said of many on the list. Richmond have let players go when they have wanted out. But right now as the season tapers you'd think that Graham has only one thing on his mind, trying to stay in the side. Reporters and their mid season swapping, not good.
We would hope that everyone within the ‘four walls of the club’ would be clear on where they stand, and that any speculation about their playing futures wouldn’t be distracting from the here and now. One focus, winning another premiership.

who knows maybe it’s balmey giving fridge a little nudge to be on his toes and play his best if he wants to land an improved deal here or somewhere else

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

Back