Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got a dumb question....because he is out of contract, can we still trade? Not that I think we should - but if our hand is forced?

Yes is the answer, absolutely. Earlier in the season when he was out of form there were people on here saying JGTI would be lucky to be worth a third rounder. I thought even then a pick in the low 20’s at worst. He has displayed really good form in recent weeks and is a big game performer. To a large extent the trade value is set by the contract offered, but younger players would have a much higher value on the same contract as older players if that makes sense.

I could see Crows, now facing losing B Crouch and with a raft of good picks and big cap space available offering JGTI $500k+ over 4 years or more to come home. He is exactly what they need including shaping as a really good leader. Pressure mid. Hard runner. I would think we would have little or no chance of matching a big offer for him. They have roughly the following picks in this year’s draft:

2(likely compensation for Brad Crouch)
9(first round tied to GWS)
30(second round tied to Dogs)
43(third round tied to Fremantle)
47(third round tied to Collingwood)

So 1, 2, 9, 19, 30, 37, 43, 47.

So there could be plenty there of interest to us. We have Graham and I would think Coleman-Jones of enormous interest to them. Also not out of the question they may be keen on someone like Coleman-Jones’ drinking buddy Stack.

We have picks around 18, 31, 54.

So I wonder if a deal like Graham, Coleman-Jones and pick 31 to them for picks 9, 19, 37 and 54 maybe be possible.

Leaves us with picks 9, 18, 19, 37. But without CCJ and JGTI.

Leaves them with picks 1, 2, 30, 31, 43, 47 and importantly Graham and Coleman-Jones.

Or just pick 2 for Graham and Coleman-Jones with a bit of horse trading around lower picks. Allowing us to go after our next gun midfielder in the draft.

Cant we swap Crouch for Graham?

I would love Brad Crouch in our team

A matter of personal taste I suppose but I would rather have a bloke that does telling things in finals than a bloke who gets 30 pointless sherrins in the back half.

You are paying likely $700k for Crouch over retaining Graham on maybe $450k?

No Undertaker, say it isn’t so.

A matter of personal taste I suppose but I would rather have a bloke that does telling things in finals than a bloke who gets 30 pointless sherrins in the back half.

You are paying likely $700k for Crouch over retaining Graham on maybe $450k?

No Undertaker, say it isn’t so.

I think Crouch can win the ball and feed it to better users. Id love him in the team, if he's money motivated and wants 700k he can go to Carlton 600k max.

Yes is the answer, absolutely. Earlier in the season when he was out of form there were people on here saying JGTI would be lucky to be worth a third rounder. I thought even then a pick in the low 20’s at worst. He has displayed really good form in recent weeks and is a big game performer. To a large extent the trade value is set by the contract offered, but younger players would have a much higher value on the same contract as older players if that makes sense.

I could see Crows, now facing losing B Crouch and with a raft of good picks and big cap space available offering JGTI $500k+ over 4 years or more to come home. He is exactly what they need including shaping as a really good leader. Pressure mid. Hard runner. I would think we would have little or no chance of matching a big offer for him. They have roughly the following picks in this year’s draft:

So there could be plenty there of interest to us. We have Graham and I would think Coleman-Jones of enormous interest to them. Also not out of the question they may be keen on someone like Coleman-Jones’ drinking buddy Stack.

So I wonder if a deal like Graham, Coleman-Jones and pick 31 to them for picks 9, 19, 37 and 54 maybe be possible.

Leaves them with picks 1, 2, 30, 31, 43, 47 and importantly Graham and Coleman-Jones.

Or just pick 2 for Graham and Coleman-Jones with a bit of horse trading around lower picks. Allowing us to go after our next gun midfielder in the draft.

Hope the guys don't want a trade. I reckon we can use both CJ and JG over the next few years.

Pick 2 is tempting. But I'd rather out 2 right now. Of course that's if Adelaide want t play that game anyway.

I think Crouch can win the ball and feed it to better users. Id love him in the team, if he's money motivated and wants 700k he can go to Carlton 600k max.

All I see is Graham working his backside off contest to contest and pushing hard forward and back as required.

When I watch Crouch I see a midfielder just trying to get the ball in the style of bush footballers when I played. He is probably good at what he does but what he does is no good any more. Just no penetration.

We are not getting a top 10 pick for Graham and CCJ. The only way that might happen is if we give up our first as well.

We are not getting a top 10 pick for Graham and CCJ. The only way that might happen is if we give up our first as well.
add to that there's no chance we get our hands on pick 2, I could see crows doing 19 + graham for 9 at most but honestly not sure that's a big help for us, especially given the uncertainty around this year's draft

The Blues are paying $900k pa for Zac Williams, to go with $800k McGovern and $650k Jack Martin. So they won’t be getting JGTI. Some of the worst list management you could ever wish to see.
McGovern is OOC this year, that big contract has finished.

Cant we swap Crouch for Graham?

I would love Brad Crouch in our team
Headed to Moe by the sea apparently.

You guys realise the crows can screw us.
PSD threat.
So if push comes to shove we'll have no choice but accept what they offer.
Think he'll stay though so a non issue really.

This is a good point with Graham actually, him being out of contract. It clearly reduces our bargaining power, but only really in relation to the Crows. Coleman-Jones is a different matter as he is contracted.

I think the Crows have a history of being reasonable to deal with, as do we, so I am sure if it came to them wanting Graham, something acceptable to all parties that reflects our respective starting positions would be worked out. Graham will have a manager as well who should be out there working to get the best possible deal for Graham. We never know, another club may value him more highly than the Crows.

The other thing there is their first pick in the pre-season draft can only be used that way on one player and there could possibly be other out of contract players they would consider there in preference to Graham.

McGovern is OOC this year, that big contract has finished.

Headed to Moe by the sea apparently.

Just checked and that is correct so thanks for pointing that out. Interesting to see what they put on the table for him for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a good point with Graham actually, him being out of contract. It clearly reduces our bargaining power, but only really in relation to the Crows. Coleman-Jones is a different matter as he is contracted.

I think the Crows have a history of being reasonable to deal with, as do we, so I am sure if it came to them wanting Graham, something acceptable to all parties that reflects our respective starting positions would be worked out. Graham will have a manager as well who should be out there working to get the best possible deal for Graham. We never know, another club may value him more highly than the Crows.

The other thing there is their first pick in the pre-season draft can only be used that way on one player and there could possibly be other out of contract players they would consider there in preference to Graham.
Yeah we do have a pretty good relationship with the crows.

Just checked and that is correct so thanks for pointing that out. Interesting to see what they put on the table for him for the future.
Nah there is confusion even amongst blues supporters. McGovern is contracted for 3 more years 😂

Why would we be getting rid of a 22yo player who has just reached 50 games. There is only Bolton of the young mids Who has reached more than 20 games if you exclude Stack who may or may not become a competent AFL midfielder personally i think him a defender and hes played just 26 games anyway.

Imo Graham is one of just two younger mids we have who you could describe as inside, and hes the only one with a decent amount of games under his belt.
I would have thought he is very much required with our key ball winners all closing in on 30 or already there.

The only real knock has been a lack of ball and that most certainly is slowly being turned around.People bemoan a lack of pace but its not the end of the world for an inside player.

Just my opinion but we need a high quality younger bigger mid to complement the likes of Graham moving fwd.
This is one reason why i pray to god that Ross and Rcd can make the grade.
What we really want is the next Dusty or Cotchin in our system, getting some games into them in preparation in a few yrs time of at least one of these two retiring.
I dont believe we have any youngsters who can play inside of that quality. We dont have a hell of a lot, just the three in Graham, Ross and RCD who INSIDE/OUT and is a real concern to this point.

For me we should be contemplating adding a bigger quicker version to complement Graham not contemplate getting rid of him.

Yeah we do have a pretty good relationship with the crows.

We got such a good relationship they know our theme song better than we do! On a serious note we simply cannot let this bloke go. Kicks 3 in a granny and basically plays a whole game with a dislocated shoulder in a pf against the scats knowing full well it well cost him another shot at a flag. He is team first and possibly a future captain.

Also I'm sure all fans think their players wouldn't want to screw them, but I really think that with our culture, and the fact that we've given him at least 1 flag, graham wouldn't sign on for the crows low-balling us by using the threat of psd. Given our strong relationship with the crows (bar 2017 gf) and (unless something's happened under the radar) with graham, if he opted to go there a fair deal would be made - which is probably early second or an equivalent pick swap. Hope he stays though

Why would we be getting rid of a 22yo player who has just reached 50 games. There is only Bolton of the young mids Who has reached more than 20 games if you exclude Stack who may or may not become a competent AFL midfielder personally i think him a defender and hes played just 26 games anyway.

Imo Graham is one of just two younger mids we have who you could describe as inside, and hes the only one with a decent amount of games under his belt.
I would have thought he is very much required with our key ball winners all closing in on 30 or already there.

The only real knock has been a lack of ball and that most certainly is slowly being turned around.People bemoan a lack of pace but its not the end of the world for an inside player.

Just my opinion but we need a high quality younger bigger mid to complement the likes of Graham moving fwd.
This is one reason why i pray to god that Ross and Rcd can make the grade.
What we really want is the next Dusty or Cotchin in our system, getting some games into them in preparation in a few yrs time of at least one of these two retiring.
I dont believe we have any youngsters who can play inside of that quality. We dont have a hell of a lot, just the three in Graham, Ross and RCD who INSIDE/OUT and is a real concern to this point.

For me we should be contemplating adding a bigger quicker version to complement Graham not contemplate getting rid of him.
Doubt the club is looking to get rid of him, leaving would probably be his decision, not the clubs.

Don’t know why he’d contemplate leaving either, sign a 2-3 year deal, possibly win another flag or 2 and then he still has plenty of time to chase the money if he wants.

You guys realise the crows can screw us.
PSD threat.
So if push comes to shove we'll have no choice but accept what they offer.
Think he'll stay though so a non issue really.
Only Players that are riled go that path , most don’t go scorched earth policy preferring fair compo for former club, , refer Prestia and one reason he went rfc was we had pick 6 for a seamless trans. Im Reasonably confident he’ll stay, if not pick 25-30 is fair currency

I’d like to think when the Tigers present a PowerPoint preso to jack they highlight images of
Jarred Polec
Bryce Gibbs
Jake lever
For how things can go horribly wrong for high priced recruits and cellar dweller clubs , it ain’t all beer and skittles
Graham has got one flag and is locked into a team favourites to win another. Thanks in huge part to his efforts this year. He'll be a Brando sort of experienced player going to a lowly club. But I want RFC to sign up everyone on our list first (Jack G) before looking at what else is out there. (Crouch)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

Back