Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

An almost game.
Wasn’t clunking them cleanly and needs to put more pace on his kicks.

Keep building kid
agreed, is a bit of a litmest test of our progress on a whole, couple of steps fwd and the odd one back,

metaphorically speaking of course because as we know there is no such thing as a literal backward step in the archer family.

Struggling to understand anyone who says Jackson was 'shit' yesterday.

He's a defender. He has skills like a defender. If you're expecting Sheezel or Wardlaw style skills, you're asking to be disappointed.

What I saw was a kid who was rarely beaten to a contest, and who ran his absolute guts off to force contested marks that could have easily been uncontested. What I saw was a kid who made opposition players near him have to earn the footy.

Struggling to understand anyone who says Jackson was 'shit' yesterday.

He's a defender. He has skills like a defender. If you're expecting Sheezel or Wardlaw style skills, you're asking to be disappointed.

What I saw was a kid who was rarely beaten to a contest, and who ran his absolute guts off to force contested marks that could have easily been uncontested. What I saw was a kid who made opposition players near him have to earn the footy.
just keep in mind glen jacovich was a defender.

Was sticky hands off an amazing game. Hoping he can find those because if he does he will be a seriously useful team member long term.

I'm taking the opposite view of yesterday with him.

I actually thought it was almost the best game of his career, it just lacked execution.

Clarko pretty much had him deployed in the role Comben has been occupying. That third defender that pushes up and tries to intercept 70m out.

He had 4 intercept marks on the weekend, which had him equal 8th in the comp for the round.

He dropped about another 4-5 that he might take in a couple of years, he flew perfectly and just mis timed slightly or dropped them. The key point, he got in those situations.

He's playing with confidence I didn't think him capable of. Taking that flat footed contested mark backing into McKay was an absolute ripper for a medium defender. McKay takes that 99/100 against a medium defender that size.

His kicking will never be surgical, but it's definitely improved. Yesterday was a bit of a flashback to 2022.

The real test will be if his disposal can stand up in the pressure in finals. If he becomes a big intercepting medium defender with his intensity defending and spoiling, it will far outweigh high turnover numbers imo.

Last edited:
Kept dropping in the hole.

Him doing that will make it hard for any of the rest of the team to be soft.

Simply cannot look the bloke in the eye if they be squibbing it with comparably sized players when this kid is giving away 15 cms and probably 15 kgs and dropping in the hole and wearing potential contact,

Forget about any of the disposal limitations, he makes us a harder side.

Imagine the pressure Jacko is under in his own head. No player will carry more weight than being the son of the Shinboner of the Century and the guy who was six times voted most courageous player in the comp by his peers/competitors (ie more than anyone else.) LOL @ "No pressure Jacko."

And he obviously wants to live up to his old man's legacy.

He will be a club great or die trying.

Can't ask for more.

Imagine the pressure Jacko is under in his own head. No player will carry more weight than being the son of the Shinboner of the Century and the guy who was six times voted most courageous player in the comp by his peers/competitors (ie more than anyone else.) LOL @ "No pressure Jacko."

And he obviously wants to live up to his old man's legacy.

He will be a club great or die trying.

Can't ask for more.
I imagine Cooper is under similar "pressure" having a father who holds the most games ever played record. I think Jackson is doing himself, his father and the club proud.

Can you imagine, if Bull stays, in 2 years we will have an absolute wrecking ball in each zone of the ground.

Bull in the paddock up forward, The Warlord dominating territory in the middle and Whacko Jacko sweeping through down back.

Look out!

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine Cooper is under similar "pressure" having a father who holds the most games ever played record. I think Jackson is doing himself, his father and the club proud.
Yeah but Boomer was a unicorn. No one expects Cooper to match that output cos its freakish, a combination of circumstances and effort.

What Glenn Archer did wasn't so much one-off freakish as uncompromisingly brave and committed. That's something anyone can do with the right motivation.

Tho, as Glenn himself said, perhaps the right motivation is fear of failure.

Yeah but Boomer was a unicorn. No one expects Cooper to match that output cos its freakish, a combination of circumstances and effort.

What Glenn Archer did wasn't so much one-off freakish as uncompromisingly brave and committed. That's something anyone can do with the right motivation.

Tho, as Glenn himself said, perhaps the right motivation is fear of failure.
You could be right but I am sure Cooper feels the pressure perceived or otherwise. Glenn being so courageous almost means Jackson doesn't have a choice (which he does) but to try and live up to that which I think he is.

Last edited:
You could be right but I am sure Cooper feels the pressure perceived or otherwise. Glenn being so courageous almost means Jackson doesn't have a choice (which he does) but to try an live up to that which I think he is.
Yeah this is what i'm getting at.

I think tattooed on Jacko's neurons is wtte of "You must go harder than your dad or you will be letting your family name down."

So theoretically he might have a choice but I doubt it exists in practice.

I think his passion and intent being so heart on the sleeve on display means he's never going to die wondering and it shows.

And thankfully its not from a position of "the head and the heart have it but the body doesn't" -- he can actually pull it off.

I have no doubt he'll be a great player then, most of the game is upstairs anyway, training is easy just show up and put the effort in.

I'm taking the opposite view of yesterday with him.

I actually thought it was almost the best game of his career, it just lacked execution.

Clarko pretty much had him deployed in the role Comben has been occupying. That third defender that pushes up and tries to intercept 70m out.

He had 4 intercept marks on the weekend, which had him equal 8th in the comp for the round.

He dropped about another 4-5 that he might take in a couple of years, he flew perfectly and just mis timed slightly or dropped them. The key point, he got in those situations.

He's playing with confidence I didn't think him capable of. Taking that flat footed contested mark backing into McKay was an absolute ripper for a medium defender. McKay takes that 99/100 against a medium defender that size.

His kicking will never be surgical, but it's definitely improved. Yesterday was a bit of a flashback to 2022.

The real test will be if his disposal can stand up in the pressure in finals. If he becomes a big intercepting medium defender with his intensity defending and spoiling, it will far outweigh high turnover numbers imo.
Reminded me of Ridley yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back