Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George - re-signed until end of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

They will likely do a lateral tenodesis this time around to add extra stability against internal rotation. Both his ACLs have been landing from a jump, so can empathise with him there.

He will know what to do, be under the guidance of professionals from day one, and will have a few rehab buddies.

We're all backing you BG.

It’s cruel luck that he’s been playing in defence and the first game he plays forward he does his knee.

That’s so cruel. Totally unfair.

Club was trying to protect his knee by playing him off half-back.
Reason why they do this is so that the player can be eased back into the game by playing it one way and not having to twist and turn playing as a forward. And yet still it wasn’t enough.

Why? Hasn't played a game at afl level and is Garner levels of injury prone.

I want the kid to make it, we just cant afford to stop waste list spots
Let me just say this, Brayden is a "gun", he is in our future plans and another one of our youngsters that has so much ability its not funny. Yes, over the years we have kept some players on, even though we probably shouldn't have, but hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? He certainly wont be wasting a list spot and while this has happened a few times before it seems to me that you need to have a little more "faith".

We have enough guys to delist already. Pick 100 in the draft is not gonna have the possible reward that sticking fat with BG could have.

They will likely do a lateral tenodesis this time around to add extra stability against internal rotation. Both his ACLs have been landing from a jump, so can empathise with him there.

He will know what to do, be under the guidance of professionals from day one, and will have a few rehab buddies.

We're all backing you BG.

I should add as well, his surgeon and physio will now be able to isolate his highest risk point - landing mechanism. They'll be more conservative and give him some extra goals to achieve with regards to that.

It's also much easier to be a serviceable player without taking huge leaps than it is to try and take agility/cutting/pivoting out of your game, which should mean he gets back into the swing of things a bit quicker when he eventually does return and his confidence in his knee is a bit uncertain. They do the psych tests when you return to play, but no matter how good you feel it's just different when you're out there.

Listing or delisting aside the lads in for a lifetime of discomfort . Likely the least of his thoughts as a budding 20 year old but having just gone through a hit of covid there were 2 days where i had terrible ache on the knee i partially tore offroad motorbike riding and aching shoulder from where i strained it .

My dad played footy a long career and he is riddled with arthritus to the point where getting into a car is a 5 minute ordeal and cannot walk up a decent flight of stairs.

These traumas stay with you for ever. Some People say AFL footballers get paid to much. I reckon most earn every cent. There may be a couple taking money on false pretence, this bloke aint one.

Listing or delisting aside the lads in for a lifetime of discomfort . Likely the least of his thoughts as a budding 20 year old but having just gone through a hit of covid there were 2 days where i had terrible ache on the knee i partially tore offroad motorbike riding and aching shoulder from where i strained it .

My dad played footy a long career and he is riddled with arthritus to the point where getting into a car is a 5 minute ordeal and cannot walk up a decent flight of stairs.

These traumas stay with you for ever. Some People say AFL footballers get paid to much. I reckon most earn every cent. There may be a couple taking money on false pretence, this bloke aint one.
AAgree with all of that.

Especially covid. Its a bastard of a thing. Finds all your old weak spots and hammers them.

(Altho ... I smoked alot of weed, tobacco and got exposed to lots of smoke at fires over the years and the times I've had it my lungs seem to be the only part of me that gets away with it. Touch wood.)

We have enough guys to delist already. Pick 100 in the draft is not gonna have the possible reward that sticking fat with BG could have.

Based on the team we rolled out last weekend we have a few players to go before worrying about wasting the odd list spot.

Ok true

But we can't keep making the same mistakes

We should back him in :)

Last edited:
Disheartening for sure but I’m so happy the club is competent with injury management now. Kev White has done a great job, gone are the days where we would ruin players careers by not sending them in to surgery

You’re not serious right ? We have list cloggers that are not injured. Back Brayden in hell come good next year .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would rather "waste" list spots on blokes with sound application and talent, realistically sausage hasnt put a foot wrong here, CCj and Biggy for example, Edwards earleier on, and even sleevo now sheesh, there isnt an air freshener than can remove that stench.

You’re not serious right ? We have list cloggers that are not injured. Back Brayden in hell come good next year .

I don't have an opinion on whether he should be retained, but he'll be back round 16 or so next year and will then play reduced minutes until round 18 VFL. That's if he plays at all.

I'd also submit that we are the last club that should be taking players with injury history in the 20s of the national draft.

But I won't have an issue if he stays.

Genuinely gutting. I don't know if its the smart option, but I hope we back him in and keep him contracted until his rehab is over and he gets a chance to show what he's got. Like Chom, if he can get his body right again, he'd be loyal to a fault.

It's not a curse. By far the biggest predictor of future injury is history. We continue to try to outsmart a system we're clearly not very adept at navigating. Been that way for ages.

It's not a curse. By far the biggest predictor of future injury is history. We continue to try to outsmart a system we're clearly not very adept at navigating. Been that way for ages.

We made the same decision with Wardlaw. He missed 7 months leading into the draft.

Are you happy with that decision at the minute?

Happy to give him another contract.*
Can’t have a good North team without a few country boys with character.
If we can’t give Sausage a 1year deal, with clauses for an extension, when we are throwing multi-year deals at blokes like Cat Stephens then I’ll go full Terry Wallace mode and spew.

*this is assuming that the knee isn’t a complete write off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George - re-signed until end of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back