Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

To revisit Glenn Archer - Glenn always perpetuates the myth that he wasn't that talented, that it was just trying to battle away. Yeh he battled away but he was well above the standard of a "battler".

Jackson's development is fascinating. I've always found him quite different in playing style to his dad. How's his reach?! He's ~187cm with the reach of a 190+ player.

The way he's getting and using the ball is a surprise. I've suggested before he might even have it in him to play other roles when needed soon.

Occasional on-ball runs? Sounds ridiculous but you've got a well put together kid who wouldn't be a bad disruptor in there when George is taking a break.

Who knows!

To revisit Glenn Archer - Glenn always perpetuates the myth that he wasn't that talented, that it was just trying to battle away. Yeh he battled away but he was well above the standard of a "battler".

Jackson's development is fascinating. I've always found him quite different in playing style to his dad. How's his reach?! He's ~187cm with the reach of a 190+ player.

The way he's getting and using the ball is a surprise. I've suggested before he might even have it in him to play other roles when needed soon.

Occasional on-ball runs? Sounds ridiculous but you've got a well put together kid who wouldn't be a bad disruptor in there when George is taking a break.

Who knows!
I wouldn’t mind this setup just to truly break the back of the opposition for 2-3 centre-bounces a game:

Xerri-Zurhaar-Wardlaw-Archer

Who knows!
I reckon he could a useful defensive onballer. If his ability to read the game and know when to come off his opponent (even the ones he misses now are close enough that he'll get them in a year or three,) can translate to playing round the contest then he could probably play a bit in there. Give him a chance to settle on the backline first tho.

I wouldn’t mind this setup just to truly break the back of the opposition for 2-3 centre-bounces a game:

Xerri-Zurhaar-Wardlaw-Archer
Only danger would be friendly fire!

We could then rotate in a Stephenson, Stephens, Hansen Jr, Taylor as a Group B to catch sides out.

Opponents would become so accustomed to our all out pace attack only for Group B to get us a wicket or 2 like a shitty part time spinner.

He's turned himself into an athletic freak by training harder than anyone else. Easy to forget that for years now he's been in the top few at all the time trials, and twice derailed his pre-seasons by going too hard. It's paying off now.

One of the big shining lights this year. Got a few kicked on him today, but he was playing on an All Australian who is as slippery as the come.

Loved his attack on the ball and the man, he is really starting to find that balance of getting involved while also locking down.

12 disposals at 100% DE, 8 tackles, 7 intercepts, 5 marks.

Pretty good outing for young Arch!

One of the big shining lights this year. Got a few kicked on him today, but he was playing on an All Australian who is as slippery as the come.

Loved his attack on the ball and the man, he is really starting to find that balance of getting involved while also locking down.

Yep, learned plenty today. Building nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMG_0389.jpeg

Couple of observations after the game yesterday. Only his 19th game folks.
  • Yep has been touched up by Hill and Stengle, but that is no disgrace as they are in the top 5 small forwards in the competition. He has claimed some scalps this year. Awesome learning experiences.
  • Is a great one grab overhead mark and surprisingly good leap.
  • Racked up 12 touches at 100% efficiency. Big improvement from when he started, as he was an apprentice butcher in his first few games.
  • Care factor is there on every single contest. Up there with George and Harry. Pure Shinboner DNA right there.
  • Was taken at #59 only because of his Dad. A bargain with huge upside going that late in the draft.
Go young Arch!!

Good to see, he has been a great performer for us in defense this season and looks to have a wonderful future ahead of him.

Congrats Junior Archer, well deserved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back