Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

I was also there with my son Archie (Arch). Probably a few of us?

Guilty as charged. Toes Jnr, aka Arch, was there with us loving every minute of it.

We had a dog named Archer first (RIP) and when my son was born the family members and friends lacking footy knowledge couldn’t believe we’d named our son after our dog, the twats.

Well done Jacko. 💪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE JACKSON THRIVE
Chris Cavanagh
North Melbourne defender Jackson Archer has praised the leadership of Luke McDonald in helping him “believe” he belongs at AFL level.

An emerging young star for the Kangaroos, Archer has played 12 of the past 13 games and has spent time minding the likes of Richmond’s Shai Bolton, Geelong’s Tyson Stengle and Carlton’s Matt Owies over the past month.

The 21-year-old battled groin issues last year which lingered over pre-season, but those woes are now a thing of the past as Archer begins to build continuity and confidence in the backline alongside co-captain McDonald.

“To finally string some games together is nice,” Archer said.

“Luke McDonald has been someone I’ve really looked up to. I’ve tried to mould my game a little bit on what he does, just how courageous he is in the air.

“Since I got to the club, he’s been unreal for me. He’s probably been one of my biggest believers and has probably believed in me more than I have in myself at times. He’s been so good for my development.”

Archer was named the round 21 Telstra AFL Rising Star nominee after logging 20 disposals, eight marks (four intercept marks) and five tackles in a 13-point win against Richmond on Saturday.

The performance came just days after the 2021 father-son selection signed a new deal to remain at Arden Street for another two years.

“I’m a North Melbourne person and absolutely love the club, so to sign on for another couple of years was really nice,” Archer said. “At the start of the year I didn’t really know where I was at, being out of contract. I had lots of groin issues and I didn’t know when I’d be back playing footy.

“So to get to the point where I could sign a multi-year contract was really satisfying.”

Away from footy, Archer is studying commerce at ACU.

But his biggest focus this year has been studying how he can improve his offensive game to complement his strong intercept abilities.

“Clarko (coach Alastair Clarkson) and Jed Adcock (assistant coach) have really encouraged me to come across and back myself in the air. I think that’s an area where I can have an impact,” Archer said. “Then that offensive side is something I’ve been really working on and they’ve been really encouraging me to take on the game more by foot.”

Agreed. It makes me a bit sad sometimes to see him interviewed or talked about by the media because they always mention, and usually draw comparisons to, his dad.
You watch on 360 tonight his Dad will be brought up multiple times. I wish they would ask one question and make the rest about Jackson.

You watch on 360 tonight his Dad will be brought up multiple times. I wish they would ask one question and make the rest about Jackson.
Yeah but like it or not his dad is probably considered the most courageous player in the modern game. Being positively compared to him is a massive honour. If you told any other player in the comp "You play like Genn Archer" they'd be over the moon.

In some ways Glenn casts a long shadow, not in the usual negative way but cos of his enormous legacy as a player, and it'll be a while before Jacko steps out of it, especially for most of the footy world who've really only seen him play for half a season.

He seems like the sort of kid who'll make his own name anyway. That play where he handballed to himself and got the ball out of our defensive 50 wasn't something you'd expect his old man to do.

Yeah but like it or not his dad is probably considered the most courageous player in the modern game. Being positively compared to him is a massive honour. If you told any other player in the comp "You play like Genn Archer" they'd be over the moon.

In some ways Glenn casts a long shadow, not in the usual negative way but cos of his enormous legacy as a player, and it'll be a while before Jacko steps out of it, especially for most of the footy world who've really only seen him play for half a season.

He seems like the sort of kid who'll make his own name anyway. That play where he handballed to himself and got the ball out of our defensive 50 wasn't something you'd expect his old man to do.
Absolutely he is. I actually think he is more out of the shadow of Glenn than we realise and I think interviews with a large focus on Glenn (who I absolutely loved) aren't helpful in that respect. I also think Jackson will do everything in his power to make his own name just to prove a point.

I've banged on a bit about Jackson not automatically being linked to Glenn with everything he does - but fwiw in his radio interview he seemed very assured as his own man.

From day dot it's felt like he's been respectful of his dad's legacy but in no way pressured to feel his career is to be judged against it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back