Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks like he’s running out of juice. Doesn’t seem to be impacting as much at the moment. Still a great year. Is that it for Matty this year ? Fox back next week then Mills ?

Fair enough, can we see him in the first 22/23 with Fox then Mills and ofc Campbell in the mix ?
It seems to be a bit of a rotation for match fitness at the moment but Campbell will probably have the edge over Roberts as we get closer to finals as he's played comparatively more roles in the senior side over a longer period of time.

For me the pecking order as sub is Fox, Campbell and then Roberts based off the same logic above.

Honestly though, if you told me at the start of the year that Roberts would be a regular fixture (I think 10 starts off 12 games) for the ladder leading Swans I wouldn't have believed you.

Mills' injury has been such a blessing for building our depth as I have genuine confidence in Roberts contributing if he had to run out on grand final day.

Roberts has some calf soreness so is having his training load and game time managed.
Not surprising looking back seems like he missed 2-3 in 2022 and a major part of 2023 through injuries or general soreness. Is definitely building up to last out full seasons in the AFL but probably just needs another offseason to be fine. Getting games under his belt now will only help in the future seasons

2-year extension, according to Riley B

YOUNG SWAN SET FOR DEAL

SYDNEY youngster Matt Roberts is set to be rewarded for his improvement this season, with the Telstra AFL Rising Star nominee closing on a fresh two-year extension.

Roberts is already contracted for next season, but is set to add a further two years to his deal in a move that will take the defender through until 2027.

It's the result of a campaign where the composed 20-year-old has established himself as an important member of John Longmire's plans, playing in 12 of 13 games and adding stability across half-back.

He was recognised with a Rising Star nomination in Opening Round, where he helped Sydney to an important victory over Melbourne with 19 disposals and eight marks playing in his new role having originally been drafted as a big-bodied midfielder.

"That's something we're looking at with the club at the moment. We've been chatting for a bit of a month now. We're just putting some finishing touches on that, which is great for Matty," Seccull said. – Riley Beveridge

2-year extension, according to Riley B

YOUNG SWAN SET FOR DEAL

SYDNEY youngster Matt Roberts is set to be rewarded for his improvement this season, with the Telstra AFL Rising Star nominee closing on a fresh two-year extension.

Roberts is already contracted for next season, but is set to add a further two years to his deal in a move that will take the defender through until 2027.

It's the result of a campaign where the composed 20-year-old has established himself as an important member of John Longmire's plans, playing in 12 of 13 games and adding stability across half-back.

He was recognised with a Rising Star nomination in Opening Round, where he helped Sydney to an important victory over Melbourne with 19 disposals and eight marks playing in his new role having originally been drafted as a big-bodied midfielder.

"That's something we're looking at with the club at the moment. We've been chatting for a bit of a month now. We're just putting some finishing touches on that, which is great for Matty," Seccull said. – Riley Beveridge
Two years on top of his existing contract would be smart all round. Good timing to get better $ in his next one to maybe take him up to free agency. Great stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why select him?
Once again lost at selection.
Options are limited I guess. Keep in mind there's no Parker, Mills, Sheldrick to select from, Warner Jr is being managed himself, Cleary evidently not quite ready for a full senior game.

Not really anyone else who could play defence besides Roberts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back