Senior 35. Billy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a selection I would have made, considering what was still available

On the plus side, his testing would have him in the top 10 in many areas comparing the results of the national combine, such as 20 metre sprint and leap, which is a really good sign.

At this stage better suited as a defender, rather than a mid where he struggled with effective disposal with the added pressure

When he has time and space, his kicking is very good, so the focus should be working on his composure with the faster pace of AFL level

Austin was adamant that he will be training with the mids. Which suggests playing midfield in the VFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah was in the same pattern of thinking as a few others here, surprised that we went this hard on a defender who lacked body strength in a way that probably didn't match the pattern of a classic small defensive type, but that body of midfield work at the back end of the season is impressive.

They've no doubt directly compared him to Cooper Simpson and backed in his elite skill by foot over his captain. I'm a big fan of how much Simpson can make players miss with his speed, change of direction and quick disposal, but Wilson has some tricks of his own in that regard, just not as high tempo.

Needs to continue to iron out his ability to release others by hand and obviously needs to put on a few kilos to ensure he can keep his feet after receiving contact, but could be damaging all over the ground in time and certainly doesn't shirk a contest.

What started out looking like a Saad backup trading a shade of athleticism for kicking skills looks like being someone who could quickly patch up several spots on the field for us as needed.

Have Blues found the missing pieces?​

– Josh Barnes

The big swinging Blues believe they have added much needed speed to their midfield while landing another forgotten gem as they eye difference makers to accelerate a premiership push.

Carlton had long picked out Ashton Moir as a top-end talent after a stunning 2022 season before a hip injury and some confidence issues saw the South Australian goalkicker slide from a potential top-five pick to No.29 on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the blues, Billy!

I understand the frustration people here get from not maximising trade value, being content to shift back a few spots with the Fisher trade etc, but ultimately we become a great team to trade with and we get the talent through the door that we want. We eyed off Moir and Billy and made it happen, no fuss!

Love that we see him as a mid, that's exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 35. Billy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back