Retired 36. Bradley Hartman (2013- 2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ive never read or seen anything of a kid selected at pick 70+ that i think anything more than " average 18-22 C grader or delisted in a year or so"

for the first time im actually getting a very good feeling about this kid were picked with a late very late selection..

ive never read or seen anything of a kid selected at pick 70+ that i think anything more than " average 18-22 C grader or delisted in a year or so"

for the first time im actually getting a very good feeling about this kid were picked with a late very late selection..

James Hird?

I have the official AFL State Screening (and Combine) results, and his jump stats were not what I am seeing here.

When compared to ALL players tested in the COMBINE and ALL STATE SCREENINGS (in 2012), he placed:

Right Foot Running Jump: 61cm, =176th / 196 players tested
Standing Vertical Leap: 59cm, =147th / 194 players tested
Left Foot Running Jump: 81cm, =52nd / 194 players tested

30th Fattest (by skinfold) player tested at the All Combines and State Screenings in the last 7 years (around 1,500 players). Having said that, Christensen was the 15th fattest tested over that same period.

Compared to 2012 players, he did perform well in the sprints, particularly 5m (25th), 10m sprint (16th), and agility (6th).

His SANFL U18 stats were very good, however:

15 Games
Average per game:

19 disposals
3 goals
6 marks (2 contested)

Came from a Basketball background and has apparently played not much football, so it does look to have plenty of upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartman was one of my favourites. First you take Murdoch from me last year, and now Hartman? Noticed there wasn't much information on the AFL website, so thought I would add my write up in here for you guys...

Brad Hartman (188cm forward - Sturt)

There is something seriously special about this kid in my opinion, and I know a few other people in SA think the same thing. He might not have been picked in the SA squad for the U18 Championships, but he has had an excellent season in the SANFL U18s - playing as a smaller full forward type where he finished second in the goal kicking with an average of 3 goals a game. He has also been developing very nicely this year, and he started to find some real consistency in the second half of the year. And some of his performances this year have just been remarkable, highlighted by a 35 disposal and 8 goal game a couple of months ago. He reminds me of Michael O'Loughlin, with a bit of the old Shaun Burgoyne (the forward version) thrown in. Late in the season he got to run up the ground more, from the wing to half back. And his leap even allowed him to play in the ruck - not to much success, but still he tried and that has to count for something. I don't think he'll make the move to midfield in the AFL, but he could be a special and versatile forward for whoever takes the chance. AFL Comparison: Shaun Burgoyne.

I've been burnt by Tasmanians in the past. Was a bit more conservative with them this year.

I do like Thurlow, think he has a lot of excellent attributes. I just wanted to see him play in the midfield more this year, as opposed to solely as the loose man in the back half - that's probably why I dropped him down, even though it wasn't his fault.

Another from SA who played in SANFL underage and reserve levels who grew in confidence as the season went on. Who also wasn't sure he would get drafted. Similar to Murdoch in that regard. Put him in a good system with high quality football and fitness coaches and he might just turn into something. And he may not but at that kind of pick what have you got to lose? No risk no reward I reckon.

I hoping the mantra of Too Old Too Slow and Too Good might turn into Too Young Too Quick Too Good in the not too distant future. Most players drafted from 09 onwards have been pretty athletic compared to the old guard ;)

The Burgoyne, O'Loughlin comparison just brought me onboard!

Imagine if! He's only 17 might get to 190cm already 188, just a real nice size.
Carn't wait to see his progress in the two's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back