Player Watch #36: Callum Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Provide a contest and get others into the game. Has played 7 games ffs. Quick, long kick, good mark, good below knees. Just because you would be dominating at afl in your first month doesn’t mean everyone else will :cool:

Good mark? Did you watch the game he dropped marks auskick kids could take. I dont care if its his first month or his 10th year in the AFL if youre not playing your best footy you dont deserve to be in the 1st team. Non of this oh his a rookie cut him some slack bs. Thats the soft s*** we dont need at this legendary club. a high expectation level at all times.

Good mark? Did you watch the game he dropped marks auskick kids could take. I dont care if its his first month or his 10th year in the AFL if youre not playing your best footy you dont deserve to be in the 1st team. Non of this oh his a rookie cut him some slack bs. Thats the soft s*** we dont need at this legendary club. a high expectation level at all times.

He’s a good mark or did you not watch his other games?

Grassed a few simple marks last night , disappointing thought his hands were better than that
Athleticism and marking are meant to be his strengths so wasn’t sure how he dropped those sitters.
Give him a couple more games and see if he can get more comfortable before finals, if not back to the VFL.

I like that Moore has had a few games, but I think Towner is built for finals, and I’d like to see him back now for the rest of the year.
I also think Caddy has been less effective since Moore came in.

Athleticism and marking are meant to be his strengths so wasn’t sure how he dropped those sitters.
Give him a couple more games and see if he can get more comfortable before finals, if not back to the VFL.
Moore does have better hands than shown v Saints , I thought he and Menadue were trying too hard , they were ''tight' can they over come and settle into the AFL standard ?

Tough gig being on the outer rim at the Tigers at the moment
Just ask Lloyd, Miles, Bolton , Soldo , Gathwaite, Stengle , Baker , Drummond , Townsend , K Mac ...
The pressure of 'this is your big chance's weighs heavy on them

I still think the lights did him in

Etihad is different if you're not used to it

I like that Moore has had a few games, but I think Towner is built for finals, and I’d like to see him back now for the rest of the year.
I also think Caddy has been less effective since Moore came in.
caddy was in a trough , returned to some form on Friday night , I wouldn’t put his slump to Moore

I still think the lights did him in

Etihad is different if you're not used to it
Yeah wouldn’t help, personally I don’t think he’s got the game to develop into a permanent member of the team but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

A few question marks in my mind about Moore as well. For his size though he does contribute alot in terms of pressure at ground level and works very hard, so I'm glad he's there. Good he's getting some continuity at the level too.

It's upto another player to take his spot, but at this stage I'm happy for him to play....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure that is the answer but the question is why then isn't he playing now?

I believe that was my point. Unless he shows some improved form and starts impacting games, which is why he's getting an extended run, Townsend waits in the wings. Everyone knows what Townsend will bring so it's Moore's spot right now to take ownership of, or lose.

Why play a tall that cant mark and cant kick, better off playing a small or medium with pace

Possibly he gives Jack a bit of support in terms of crashing packs, can run fast for a big guy, is not afraid to tackle either which builds the pressure on backs etc

Possibly he gives Jack a bit of support in terms of crashing packs, can run fast for a big guy, is not afraid to tackle either which builds the pressure on backs etc
look I concede he may offer what you describe above but his deficiencies are so bad it hurts us, he has no footy nouse judging by his poor attempts to mark on the weekend when in prime position 1 on 1 he doesn't know how to use his body and gets out muscled.

he has poor hands and cant clunk a mark and when he does his kicking for goal is poor.

He doesn't even relieve in the ruck.

He does not have the stamina for repeat contests and can only chase once.

He may be tallish, he may be fast but he is not offering a true 2nd tall option, mind you nobody else is either but a small or medium offer other abilities.

7 games in and written off apparently? Playing a tough role in a premiership team and is undersized.

Would drop for Townsend because A: Towner is my favorite and would drop a lot of players to fit him in. B: To break Howe in half.

look I concede he may offer what you describe above but his deficiencies are so bad it hurts us, he has no footy nouse judging by his poor attempts to mark on the weekend when in prime position 1 on 1 he doesn't know how to use his body and gets out muscled.

he has poor hands and cant clunk a mark and when he does his kicking for goal is poor.

He doesn't even relieve in the ruck.

He does not have the stamina for repeat contests and can only chase once.

He may be tallish, he may be fast but he is not offering a true 2nd tall option, mind you nobody else is either but a small or medium offer other abilities.

I totally get the frustration with certain player performances but , Dimma constantly mentions team pressure as our 1 wood, he provides that. I'm not sure you get an opportunity at AFL with no footy nouse? I'm fairly sure I saw him make repeat efforts ie after dropping the mark against Carlisle, after prestie's kick, followed up handballed off to prestie who goaled (goal assist? Which I think are very highly valued as part of our game style). But also given our spread of goal kickers , it makes any misses he might have a bit more tolerable? I think the spread against the saints was 10 (I think?) (Just one off the top of my head).

Also I failed to mention (I'm not sure of his contract status?) .
Could it be they want give him every opportunity while considering his future? Especially in light of ccj, Bolta & possibly Linch's arrival? But at the end of the day I'm all for giving him a good block at AFL level, given as many say the gap between VFL & AFL. Important list management decisions are going to be made this year, so I'd say the club want to give players every opportunity prior to possible delisting? But I'm only guessing tbh....;)

I totally get the frustration with certain player performances but , Dimma constantly mentions team pressure as our 1 wood, he provides that. I'm not sure you get an opportunity at AFL with no footy nouse? I'm fairly sure I saw him make repeat efforts ie after dropping the mark against Carlisle, after prestie's kick, followed up handballed off to prestie who goaled (goal assist? Which I think are very highly valued as part of our game style). But also given our spread of goal kickers , it makes any misses he might have a bit more tolerable? I think the spread against the saints was 10 (I think?) (Just one off the top of my head).

Also I failed to mention (I'm not sure of his contract status?) .
Could it be they want give him every opportunity while considering his future? Especially in light of ccj, Bolta & possibly Linch's arrival? But at the end of the day I'm all for giving him a good block at AFL level, given as many say the gap between VFL & AFL. Important list management decisions are going to be made this year, so I'd say the club want to give players every opportunity prior to possible delisting? But I'm only guessing tbh....;)

Good points. However he niw has had his block of games. His poor kicking for goal was my main worry. But in the last 2 weeks he hasn't been able to get himself a shot. Think we need to give someone else a block. We are not improving his trade value imo, quite the opposite. I think by dominating VFL, we can achieve that. Has he ever kicked more set shot goals than points in a game?

But but but. Moore spud drop. Spud dud. He dropped a mark. He’s a dud. Must be banished forever :cool:
It's pretty hard to defend Moore's form at AFL level, he's done nothing and he's had a few chances now.
Townsend could offer just as much if not more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back