Player Watch #36: Callum Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty hard to defend Moore's form at AFL level, he's done nothing and he's had a few chances now.
Townsend could offer just as much if not more.

Saying he's "done nothing" is BS. He has set up goals with good hands and kicked some goals himself. The real concern is that Moore isn't doing enough of what he's put there to do as a tall forward - take contested marks. Part of the reason is that Jack is still the focal point for Richmond when they go forward, so Moore doesn't get the ball delivered to him very much. For example, Dusty always looks for Jack on the lead and never kicks to Moore. I think part of Moore's role is to serve as a decoy/give defenders something else to think about so that Jack can lead into space and get a better crack at it.

Saying he's "done nothing" is BS. He has set up goals with good hands and kicked some goals himself. The real concern is that Moore isn't doing enough of what he's put there to do as a tall forward - take contested marks. Part of the reason is that Jack is still the focal point for Richmond when they go forward, so Moore doesn't get the ball delivered to him very much. For example, Dusty always looks for Jack on the lead and never kicks to Moore. I think part of Moore's role is to serve as a decoy/give defenders something else to think about so that Jack can lead into space and get a better crack at it.
Thats basically what Buckley was saying tonight.

I think Townsend could do the same by making a contest, and adds more elsewhere. Moore's "good hands" haven't really been on show at AFL level.

Bingo with the word decoy.

I was really excited by what Moore was going to bring to the team. But for me he's doing no more at the moment than what Elton did last year, or Griffiths before then, or McBean, or Vickery. Players that are basically decoys for Jack and make contests, but are allergic to actually kicking goals.

Stats - 6 games. Avg 10 possies, 3.5 marks, 6 goals @ 0.6 goals (only kicked goals in 2 of those games). pretty ordinary stats there

Gee we just can't seem to get a 2nd key forward to make us a great
team......

I was really excited by what Moore was going to bring to the team. But for me he's doing no more at the moment than what Elton did last year, or Griffiths before then, or McBean, or Vickery. Players that are basically decoys for Jack and make contests, but are allergic to actually kicking goals.

Stats - 6 games. Avg 10 possies, 3.5 marks, 6 goals @ 0.6 goals (only kicked goals in 2 of those games). pretty ordinary stats there

Gee we just can't seem to get a 2nd key forward to make us a great
team......

yes but he is tall and fast and that's all that matters to some??

Bit harsh on Moore - kid is only 21 and played 8 games in his career (6 this year). Elton was 24 last year and kicked 1 goal in his 6 games so Moore already has him beat in scoreboard impact.

Still very raw and inexperienced but playing more games this year will do wonders for his development.

Personally, I would bring Townsend in for him this week but I still think Moore has shown signs that he could be something. Patience fellas!

Bit harsh on Moore - kid is only 21 and played 8 games in his career (6 this year). Elton was 24 last year and kicked 1 goal in his 6 games so Moore already has him beat in scoreboard impact.
He's miles better than Elton, even at this early stage. Kid can play.

Moore is very quick for guy his size and really good below his knees.
The Adelaide game should be his standard.
Remember it took Jack 2-3 years before it all clicked for him. He had the advantage of the team being shit as well so it didnt matter if he didnt play well for a period of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore has all the tools for his role, except he can't kick. Which is a bit of a downer for a KPF (never stopped Cloke though). By now you'd expect him to have improved his goal kicking. He looks best when doing the banana rather than a set shot. I can see why the club is after Lynch. He does what Moore does, but more (pun intended), and can kick straight.

Moore is nearly a solid player. If he could improve his shots on goal I reckon he'd make it in the AFL.

I'll go on record now and say he won't make it as a KPF he either learns another position or he is a VFL or bit player at best until someone decent comes along.

He has some good traits but a kpf needs to be able to mark and kick which he cant and there is no point having a tall that plays like a small.

I'll go on record now and say he won't make it as a KPF he either learns another position or he is a VFL or bit player at best until someone decent comes along.

He has some good traits but a kpf needs to be able to mark and kick which he cant and there is no point having a tall that plays like a small.
May end up being another McBean...

Like a lot of talls, I think marking comes with confidence. I have seen him clunk some nice grabs but seems to not attack the ball with much confidence. Has many other attributes but as you say without marking the ball he isn't much chop. Needs to go back to VFL and really concentrate on marking. Ball is in his court.
His kicking isn't that bad, a bit like Richo on set shots. Similar style to Garthwaite, maybe he needs coaching from the young lad.

Still very raw and inexperienced but playing more games this year will do wonders for his development.

Personally, I would bring Townsend in for him this week but I still think Moore has shown signs that he could be something. Patience fellas!
People think dropping him is a criticism and bad for his development. Its nothing of the sort, hes just not quite ready for AFL level and not having a big impact. Everyone can see his potential, some just don't think that is translating to AFL form well yet and after a few chances there are better options at the moment.

Another preseason, a bit more strength and some work on his goalkicking and gamesense and he'll be right back in the mix at AFL level.

Won’t make it as KPF , try him as a mid or on a wing
What exactly is a CPF these days. Plenty of them go high in the draft and struggle because they often have only a mark and kick. Schache for example. Moore with his ability off the deck and speed and athleticism would be the perfect second/third tall if he could mark just a bit better. That should come with more games.
A bit of play last week where he wheeled around and ignored the first bloke running past and gave it to Prestia further away but in a better position, who kicked an easy goal showed good footy nous. Needs to dominate VFL like jack did in his early days and make every ball his, like Jack does.

Listen i like Cal Moore. i like that he has earnt his spot in the 2s. its just that we dont seem to have a spot for a 2nd tall, unless they are genuine guns pack marks. The way our team plays there is plenty of opportunity to get good delivery into the forward line, however he seems well out of position a lot.

im not saying he wont make it, he just does seem to be quite off the pace for a 21 year old in the system.

Plus if we do get lynch, it will be harder for him and Chol - i feel this stage next year Balta may be ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back