Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey 3.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I never wrote him off as he was always clearly physically gifted, but I don't think it was unfair for people to be questioning why he was still only impacting games for a quarter here or there and spending huge amounts of time on the bench at the age of 24 (interrupted preseasons or not).

Sure, if people are going into personal attacks or criticism etc (see Dylan Stephens thread on the North board for reference) they deserve to be called out, but I didn't see much in here to justify this kind of response.
See post 459

Absolutely, not suggesting we need a bag, just don't go invisible
Whether Amartey kicks them, McLean does or McDonald doesn't matter. I'll gladly take an even spread of midfield goals and a few Papley specials. As long as our three talls are working hard together, whether marking or bringing the ball to ground. The soft drop can be as good as the pack mark if it results in a goal.

A game high 6 tackles suggests Amartey's "lucky" game was a classic example of "The harder I work, the luckier I get".

Whether Amartey kicks them, McLean does or McDonald doesn't matter. I'll gladly take an even spread of midfield goals and a few Papley specials. As long as our three talls are working hard together, whether marking or bringing the ball to ground. The soft drop can be as good as the pack mark if it results in a goal.

A game high 6 tackles suggests Amartey's "lucky" game was a classic example of "The harder I work, the luckier I get".

Agree and if he plays another good game let's say it's just performing his role or even say 2-3 goals , that would be a great follow up to a huge week of attention.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Amartey had kicked 2+ goals in 8 of his last 10 games before last week. Whilst not dominant in most of those, I think if you're consistently getting looks like that over an extended period then you're bound to get rewarded in a big way.

Agree and if he plays another good game let's say it's just performing his role or even say 2-3 goals , that would be a great follow up to a huge week of attention.
That's the game we wanted. Almost a perfect follow up. Amartey drew defenders, worked bloody hard and unselfishly to set up others under tough conditions. Unlucky to miss a couple of opportunities of his own but this was an opportunity to give back to his teammates.

Doesn't matter who kicks 'em. Team goals count.

Amartey's athleticism is really shining through with an improved fitness base and confidence in his body.

I once half jokingly referred to Amartey as our answer to Charlie Curnow, now I'm not so sure if I was joking. LOve seeing him making such an impact further up field

This week is a big test for Joel, often see a let down by a developing player after a massive game. GWS will focus on him, if he kicks a few this week it will be yet another tick for the consistency and ability to play under pressure.

Kicked 1.5 since in 3 weeks , bugger

Been a bit unlucky , used his luck up maybe

Gone back to being an enigma. 1 goal in 3 games isn’t great form.
So in the past month he’s averaged 2.5 goals per game.

He’s averaging 2 goals per game this year so in a way the last 3 weeks are just a regression to the mean.

Gone back to being an enigma. 1 goal in 3 games isn’t great form.
He'd kicked a goal in every game before the Crows game though. So was contributing, if not massively. It's possible he's gotten in his own head, focusing on trying to do what he did that night when he kicked 9, rather than on what he'd been doing right for weeks to lead to that 9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in the past month he’s averaged 2.5 goals per game.

He’s averaging 2 goals per game this year so in a way the last 3 weeks are just a regression to the mean.

Longmire was asked in a mid week press conference last week about his drop off in output since the Adelaide game. His response was that he was still performing as part of the team. No doubt he brings a contest.

He’s kicked 1 goal and taken 1 contested mark in the last 3 weeks. Thankfully when you average that over the last month it’s 2.5 goals and 1 contested mark a game.

For whatever reason he played the game of his life and then has been very quiet. Don’t expect him to kick 9 a week but you would hope for more than a goal every 3 games.

The club wouldn’t have extended Sam Reid if they didn’t think he was still close to best XXII.

With a couple of decent games back in the VFL, it’s surely Armatey that is now under pressure.

The club wouldn’t have extended Sam Reid if they didn’t think he was still close to best XXII.

With a couple of decent games back in the VFL, it’s surely Armatey that is now under pressure.

Can you guarantee Reid would last a game?

I think Reid was only re-signed as injury relief in case disaster struck our tall stocks. I genuinely think Longmire holds a grudge for the GF debacle and will only play him if all of Amartey, McLean, Hamling, Francis and Ladhams were unavailable.

Amartey is under pressure though and Hamling deserves a crack if Joel has another bad game.

Amartey has never been consistent. But he is continuing to improve. He's got x-factor and bobs up now and then and opposition have to sweat on him in the meantime.

These past few weeks he hasn't been well served by the midfield's delivery. And he hasn't kicked as straight as usual. Nor have others.

I'm in favour of sticking with the incumbent KPFs barring injury. I reckon Reid will be in front of Hamling for a forward spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back