Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartley has been very good for a guy who has played only about 13 games of AFL footy.
He is good in most ways a KP defender needs to be.....except one.
He needs to get better at body on body marking contests. I still recall how Hawkins beat him when he was in the best position under a long high ball in the pre season comp, and fair enough, Hawkins is just about the best body player in a marking contest you'll find.
But it has happened quite a few times since as well. He has to learn to push and get his opponent off balance.
At the moment he is getting pushed - it should be the other way round.
A fifty fifty pushing contest where neither player marks is fine.
No doubt he will get better at it with experience and coaching.

Hartley has been very good for a guy who has played only about 13 games of AFL footy.
He is good in most ways a KP defender needs to be.....except one.
He needs to get better at body on body marking contests. I still recall how Hawkins beat him when he was in the best position under a long high ball in the pre season comp, and fair enough, Hawkins is just about the best body player in a marking contest you'll find.
But it has happened quite a few times since as well. He has to learn to push and get his opponent off balance.
At the moment he is getting pushed - it should be the other way round.
A fifty fifty pushing contest where neither player marks is fine.
No doubt he will get better at it with experience and coaching.
The thing I rate most is his judgement of the ball coming in. He knows where to be but as you have pointed out, the gorillas are edging him under it at times. He'll play plenty of games if he stays fit.

He had twenty god damn 1%ers. That is beyond ridiculous, what an absolute machine!
I thought O'Shea's 18 vs Richmond was good. This was fantastic

WTF is a 1%. Is it a supercoach stat?
"Team acts" I think is the best way to describe it. When they don't take possession but do something to help their teammates, as above, also shepherding, etc. 20 is a big number... He's usually our best at it with 9 or 10 per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A-ha. So a shepherd is a 1%er as well...?
Yes. I think officially it's spoils, smothers, bumps, shepherds, blocks and I think I'm missing another few

I'd like to see Hartley given 2-3 games playing full forward and joey at CHF. Hartley seems a Good mark and close to an elite kick. He's Probably not strong enough yet but we may learn something about his ability as a potential forward. He could play a josh Bruce style game. Similar theory to the Tippa forward idea. If he could add that string to his bow we might find that key forward we desparately need while leaving hooker and Hurley in defence.

I'd like to see Hartley given 2-3 games playing full forward and joey at CHF. Hartley seems a Good mark and close to an elite kick. He's Probably not strong enough yet but we may learn something about his ability as a potential forward. He could play a josh Bruce style game. Similar theory to the Tippa forward idea. If he could add that string to his bow we might find that key forward we desparately need while leaving hooker and Hurley in defence.

It wouldn't be Essendon if we didn't ruin a defenders continuity by trying to turn them into a forward.

It wouldn't be Essendon if we didn't ruin a defenders continuity by trying to turn them into a forward.
It's hardly ruining a defenders continuity spending a couple of weeks forward in a development year. Let's see if he can be thrown forward if we need to as has been the case last year with Hurley and hooker. Are you concerned about tippas continuity as a defender being ruined now that he's been played forward ? Josh Bruce used to be a defender....no harm in having a look at him forward in my opinion.

This guy has been a revelation. A prime example of the sort of positive that can arise out of the wreckage of what happened in January.

Our defence is going to be formidable next year.

It's hardly ruining a defenders continuity spending a couple of weeks forward in a development year. Let's see if he can be thrown forward if we need to as has been the case last year with Hurley and hooker. Are you concerned about tippas continuity as a defender being ruined now that he's been played forward ? Josh Bruce used to be a defender....no harm in having a look at him forward in my opinion.

Honestly, he hasn't really shown that his hands are particularly good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back