360 v PS3 v Wii?

Remove this Banner Ad

nonchalance said:
Wow. You really need a lesson in reading comprehension.

For a start, I'm on the Wii's side in this, and I thought that was fairly clear.
Secondly, making something more expensive is a pretty good way to make people think it's better. Evidence A: this thread.
Thirdly, that's actually their strategy.
PS3 says: We are expensive and have awesome graphics and Blu-Ray.
Xbox360 says: We are more expensive than the last generation, we have awesome graphics and great online.

Thanks for failing to comprehend my post and forcing me to type out the long one, fella. I really appreciate it.

Next time, spend an extra couple seconds on comprehension before calling me an idiot.
If you don't want to spend the time on comprehension, maybe you could spend it finding an image that hasn't been used a million times in the three or four years it's been around.

Well Damn. You may have to go on another typing splurge mate!

You still didnt tell me how making something more expensive will make it sell more. Ever heard those 20%-50% off ads? Thats how you get ppl to buy stuff!

So, in turn, I fully comprehended what you said and for some reason, you turned it into me asking about something to do with 'what console you like best' and 'sony making things more expensive'............Coulda just answered the Q mate......How (proof?) does making something more expensive, make it sell more than what it would have at a cheaper price??? I dont think it technically can. :confused:

illnino said:
You still didnt tell me how making something more expensive will make it sell more. Ever heard those 20%-50% off ads? Thats how you get ppl to buy stuff!

So, in turn, I fully comprehended what you said and for some reason, you turned it into me asking about something to do with 'what console you like best' and 'sony making things more expensive'............Coulda just answered the Q mate......How (proof?) does making something more expensive, make it sell more than what it would have at a cheaper price??? I dont think it technically can. :confused:

Its a long standing marketing technique, that making something more expensive than the competition will make people perceive it as a higher-class product. If a Ferrari cost the same as a Holden Ute it would probably lose a fair bit of its stigma. Obviously.

I think you've confused "making something more expensive is a pretty good way to make people think it's better," what nonchalance said, with actual sales and I reread nonchalance's post and I don't think he was talking about sales, just you know, perception of the product.

And Sony have said that they aren't phased with the price, because they think if the thing is good enough people will pay whatever it is to get it. Though they claimed it'll last you for "years and years" or something, but i'll bet there'll be a PS4 in 2009 or whatever. No-one can really trust anything Sony says. Not to say Microsoft are much better, but they seem to be doing well with the Xbox/360 and not over-representing things, etc. Getting the new Xbox out so quickly was smart! With sony's constant talking up of the PS3, it's almost guaranteed it won't be as good as they say, technically. It'd be funny if someone could dig up some quotes about the PS2, before it came out. They do talk it up A LOT.

I got a 360 at luanch and love it. Haven't had any problems with it, the games are great, Live is great. I don't see why so many are on the anti-xbox wagon.

My only problem with it is a lack of games coming out at the moment. They've pushed back the release of some of the games to the end of the year that were to be coming out now, so there'll be a bit of a quiet patch.

Anyone plays on Live, feel free to PM me the games you play and when

CarterS said:
Its a long standing marketing technique, that making something more expensive than the competition will make people perceive it as a higher-class product. If a Ferrari cost the same as a Holden Ute it would probably lose a fair bit of its stigma. Obviously.

I think you've confused "making something more expensive is a pretty good way to make people think it's better," what nonchalance said, with actual sales and I reread nonchalance's post and I don't think he was talking about sales, just you know, perception of the product.

And Sony have said that they aren't phased with the price, because they think if the thing is good enough people will pay whatever it is to get it. Though they claimed it'll last you for "years and years" or something, but i'll bet there'll be a PS4 in 2009 or whatever. No-one can really trust anything Sony says. Not to say Microsoft are much better, but they seem to be doing well with the Xbox/360 and not over-representing things, etc. Getting the new Xbox out so quickly was smart! With sony's constant talking up of the PS3, it's almost guaranteed it won't be as good as they say, technically. It'd be funny if someone could dig up some quotes about the PS2, before it came out. They do talk it up A LOT.

Yeah, its a two-tier marketing approach. They firstly target the hardcore fans who will pay anything to get the latest stuff and try to recoup as much sunk costs as possible (assuming they are not already making a loss). Later on, the mass market will be taken care of with calculated price drops.

The problem with Sony in this generation of the console wars is that they've gambled alot on the prestige value of Blu-ray and Cell. The question is: with their unproven technology, are they in any position to defend against the pricing strategies of Microsoft and Nintendo?. I guess we'll find out how deep their pockets really are.

You guys should see the marketing technique that Nintendo are currently employing with the DS in Japan.

They are limiting the amount of DS's that are sold. Basically they are sold once a month at stores for about 2 hours. Keeps interest levels extremely high and is making it difficult for ppl to buy, which means that more ppl want it. It also means that they dont have to lower the price as ppl keep buying it instantly.

I dont think it would work in any other country.

Getting a Wii for Zelda, looks ****ing awesome.

Nintendo make real quaility games, if I wanted GTA ect I would get em on PC for better graphics anyhow.

CarterS said:

Basically, you cant say that making something more expensive will help sell more of it, or, make it more attractive to buy. Some ppl will say it does but others (like myself) would look at the two products (in this case, wii and ps2), realising there couldnt possibly be any difference between the 2 machines worth $600 or $700 (ps2 = $1000 / wii = $350) and would take the cheaper!

illnino said:
Basically, you cant say that making something more expensive will help sell more of it, or, make it more attractive to buy. Some ppl will say it does but others (like myself) would look at the two products (in this case, wii and ps2), realising there couldnt possibly be any difference between the 2 machines worth $600 or $700 (ps2 = $1000 / wii = $350) and would take the cheaper!
I don't want to weight into this debate too much, and I understand every market (in every country) is different.... but

I give you one example.

20 years ago, Hong Kong. A bottle of Johhny Red or Johhny Black was ridiculously expensive, and they sold it by the bucketloads, the most dominant liquor seller. The ads and more importantly the price, were all geared towards 'exclusivety'.

Some Bean Bounter had a brain storm and decided his chart told him that "Lower Point of Sale = X increase in sales".

It was a major flop. Sales plummetted because the goods lost its exclusivety factor that drew customers to it in the 1st place.

I suspect that the PS3 at such a high price will fail... unless it is a generation ahead of the other two.

I have to say, I've been a little underwhelmed by the XBox 360 Graphics (on a non High Def TV). From the limited games I've seen, Title Fight is the only one that looks next Generation. I played a basketball game on it with a mate, NB2K6 or NBA06? and I have to say there is no advancement in graphics there.

TheReason said:
I have to say, I've been a little underwhelmed by the XBox 360 Graphics (on a non High Def TV). From the limited games I've seen, Title Fight is the only one that looks next Generation. I played a basketball game on it with a mate, NB2K6 or NBA06? and I have to say there is no advancement in graphics there.

I run mine through a High Def Hitachi Plasma and there is a HUGE difference between SD and HD on the 360.

I had to change a setting over, which meant I had to plug it into the regular RCA and switch it over to SD. It looked very very average.

In High Def it's streets ahead.

Fight Night & GR:AW are two examples of the HD graphics on display. A mate of mine has GR:AW on xbox1. He came over to my place and had a go on mine....he couldn't believe how much better they looked.

To fully appreciate it has to be played on HD plasma (and preferably a good one).

The High Def drive coming out later in the year for it will also improve the machine

Viney said:
I run mine through a High Def Hitachi Plasma and there is a HUGE difference between SD and HD on the 360.

I had to change a setting over, which meant I had to plug it into the regular RCA and switch it over to SD. It looked very very average.

In High Def it's streets ahead.

Fight Night & GR:AW are two examples of the HD graphics on display. A mate of mine has GR:AW on xbox1. He came over to my place and had a go on mine....he couldn't believe how much better they looked.

To fully appreciate it has to be played on HD plasma (and preferably a good one).

The High Def drive coming out later in the year for it will also improve the machine
Cheers for that.

I'll reserve my judgement then on the XBox360 until I see it displayed on a HD TV.

Its a bit of a hard sell though....

Me: Wife, I want a PS3 or 360
Wife: How much is that going to cost?
Me: Oh about $4,000
Wife: $4,000 are you F***** Nuts
Me: Yeah, gotta get a HD Plasma or LCD.

I'm in no rush for my next gen console. I'll wait till the PS3 comes out.... then wait another 6 months to see how the market pans out and to see the software line-ups for the consoles. Then I'll make an informed decision.

TheReason said:
Cheers for that.

I'll reserve my judgement then on the XBox360 until I see it displayed on a HD TV.

Its a bit of a hard sell though....

Me: Wife, I want a PS3 or 360
Wife: How much is that going to cost?
Me: Oh about $4,000
Wife: $4,000 are you F***** Nuts
Me: Yeah, gotta get a HD Plasma or LCD.

I'm in no rush for my next gen console. I'll wait till the PS3 comes out.... then wait another 6 months to see how the market pans out and to see the software line-ups for the consoles. Then I'll make an informed decision.

Good idea to reserve judgement. It's meant to be played in HD. That's where it becomes expensive. The 360 is priced ok (I actually traded about 30 xbox games and my xbox console and didn't pay anything on change over), but to fully appreciate it, you have to spend about $3k or $4k on plasma as well (I actually spent $5k on my plasma only to see them reduced in price about 2 weeks later :mad: ).

I know what you mean though, I was just lucky my wife wanted the plasma as well....she HATES the xbox though :(

TheReason said:
I suspect that the PS3 at such a high price will fail... unless it is a generation ahead of the other two.

My point exactly. I just dont see people paying so much more money for something that is very much like something else of a cheaper price. eg. The Ps3 is worth $600 more than the Wii yet I cannot find any 'gaming' reasons why? I mean, the Wii has pretty much all the capabilities of the Ps3 (not all) and has even taken next gen gaming a level higher with its control scheme. Which brings me to the 360...

TheReason said:

As well as these under par (for next gen anyway IMO) graphics, it has nothing the Wii or Ps3 dont have. If anything it is the most bland in the way it is the only next gen console to not have done anything unique. The Ps3 at least put motion sensors in their controllers in an attempt to up the industry for next gen. As well as this, almost 3/4 of the titles sold for X-Box 360, are sold for the Ps3 as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year I thought nintendo was screwed for leaving their launch date till so late. How the tables have turned....now it looks like Sony might be at a significant disadvantage due their delays.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm

Nintendo's Wii may get early launch

Industry observers expect company's new video game machine to launch before the PlayStation 3 - perhaps by a month or more.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Nintendo has stated numerous times that its next generation video game machine will be less expensive than the competition. Now it appears that it might be on store shelves considerably earlier than many were expecting as well.

While Nintendo has not made any formal announcements about the launch date for the Wii, most of the industry has expected the machine to hit retail at approximately the same time as Sony's PlayStation 3 (which is set for November 17). Now, industry observers - and insiders - say they expect the system to be available in October, with late September a dark horse candidate.

Indeed, the company appears to be already manufacturing final retail units of the Wii, according to a June 21st analyst's note from P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research. That would give it a significant head start over Sony (Charts), which has yet to begin final manufacturing of the PlayStation 3. Microsoft's first Xbox 360 did not roll off the assembly line last year until 69 days before the on sale date of Nov. 22. (That late start in production is the root cause behind last holiday's shortages.)

"October is a reasonable timeframe," wrote McNealy.

Nintendo has downplayed any suggested dates. Other industry insiders, who asked not to be named, though, said they, too, are expecting a September or October launch for the Wii.

Early manufacturing will certainly help Nintendo do a better job of meeting consumer demand. New console launches traditionally sell out fast. Because of manufacturing problems, Microsoft (Charts) was not able to come anywhere close to meeting worldwide demand. Widespread shortages of the PlayStation 3 are also expected. Nintendo, like Sony, has given guidance that it expects to ship 6 million units by March 2007.

A pre-November launch wouldn't be an unusual move for the company. In fact, it was only with the GameCube that the company opted for a November release for a home system. The NES, which established the company as a force in the gaming space, was released in the U.S. on Oct. 18, 1985. The Nintendo 64 dropped on Sept. 29, 1996.

Pricing for the Wii remains a question mark, but the most likely price points are $199 or $249. That would put it considerably below the PS3, which will sell two versions for $499 and $599. Microsoft is not expected to cut the prices of the two versions of the Xbox 360, which currently cost $299 and $399.

That price would also be closer to the sweet spot for mainstream consumers, which the company has said is its primary target this generation. The Wii breaks many of the video game industry's traditional rules for a "next generation" console. Graphics on games that have been shown to media are not dramatically better than those found on GameCube games - and the system will not support high definition video, unlike its competitors who are using the move to HDTVs as a major part of their system. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has also vowed to keep game prices lower than the $60 price tag for many Xbox 360 games (a price that's expected to be mirrored for many PS3 titles).

The most unusual aspect of the Wii, however, is its controller, which resembles a television remote-control. Instead of worrying about which button or which thumbstick corresponds to which action, Wii players will simply move their hands and wrists. That movement is then translated into onscreen movements. The remote also features two prominent buttons where the player's thumb and forefinger will rest.

Nintendo also has yet to announce the full list of games that will launch alongside the Wii, though it has confirmed "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" and "Metroid Prime 3: Corruption" - the latest installments in two of the company's premier franchises - will be available on day one. A new Mario game - "Super Mario Galaxy" - is deep in development, but will most likely come out after the Wii has launched.

Wii Controllers: Unlocking the Secrets
Battery and power specifics, SYNCHRO functionality, rumble motor details, LED secondary purpose and… a camera?
by Matt Casamassina
Credit - ign.com

July 14, 2006 - The Big N has been relatively hush-hush about the details of its innovative new Wii console and controller, choosing to release information during major events and then going quiet on the subject. But in official Wii developer documentation obtained by IGN, the company defines many of the hardware specifics and functionalities for its upcoming Wii controllers. We have some of those revelations below.

One of the big questions about the Wii-mote has remained how it will be powered. Official documentation on the topic offers some answers. The pointer will accept two AA alkaline batteries, which will keep it going for a considerable amount of time. If the precision aim functionality of the pointer is being used in games, the device will run for approximately 30 hours. If only the accelerometer functionality is being utilized, the Wii-mote will operate for 60 hours on two AA batteries.

The controller communicates with the Wii console via Bluetooth technology on a 2.4GHz band.

The Wii-mote features 6KB of "non-volatile" memory, whose exact purpose remains a mystery. IGN Wii speculates that this throwaway memory could possibly be used in conjunction with the Wii-mote's recently revealed internal speaker. It's also possible that this memory could enable players to store custom settings for the controller. However, official documentation does not specify one way or the other. In fact, Nintendo is currently offering developers no means to interact with the controller's internal speaker despite showing off games such as The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which spotlighted the hardware feature at E3 2006 in Los Angeles.

Recent photos of the Wii console's front flap showcase a button called SYNCHRO, whose purpose seems fairly obvious. The SYNCHRO button is, according to documentation, used to identify Wii controllers that can be used with the console. It assigns each controller a wireless ID number. Evidently gamers first press the SYNCHRO button on the console itself and then find and press another SYNCHRO button located inside the battery compartment of the Wii controller. Documentation also suggests that gamers can hold down the 1 and 2 buttons on the Wii-mote to accomplish the same task.

All of the buttons on the Wii controller are digital in nature. This includes (obviously) the D-Pad, as well as A, B, 1, 2, -, +, Power and SYNCHRO. The C and Z buttons on the nunchuk unit are also digital.

The sensor bar that interacts with the Wii-mote must be placed "above or below" the television set. The bar itself is about 20 centimeters in length and features two sensors, one on each end.

The Wii-mote's LEDs serve two roles. The first is to show which player is communicating with the console at a given moment. Player 1 will light up on the far left, Player 2 the next over, and so on. The second purpose is to illustrate battery life. Upon booting up, four LEDs blink when the controller has between 75% and full power. Three LEDs blink to show 50% and 75% power. Two LEDs blink to show 25% and 50% power. And one LED blinks to illustrate anything below that.

The Wii-mote features a built-in rumble motor that can be turned on or off. It does not offer varying degrees of rumble sensitivity. However, according to documentation, more intense vibrations can be simulated if developers rapidly trigger the motor on and off.

Light sources from fluorescent and halogen lamps, plastic, mirrors and more may occasionally interfere with the pointer, based on official documentation. To eliminate this interference, the pointer must identify the sensor bar and mark its two coordinates. When pointing with the Wii-mote, the unit is actually interacting with the sensor bar, which then translates data to the television, in effect simulating a direct aim to the television.

Interestingly, according to documentation the Wii-mote is able to act as something of an eye, measuring coordinates between 0-1023 on the X axis and 0-767 on the Y axis, which means that it is more or less seeing a megapixel image. Whether or not this data can be interrupted into visual information remains unknown, but we're not ruling out the possibility that the pointer could sub as a camera. This is, of course, purely speculative on our part, but stranger things have certainly happened - like, for instance, an internal speaker.

Developers tell IGN Wii that they are expecting to get classic Wii controllers in early September, which suggests that Nintendo is serious about providing this third input alternative for Virtual Console endeavors.

We contacted Nintendo of America for comments on our latest findings.

"There are many details that we've divulged about the console, but there is also more to learn," said the subsidiary's PR manager, Matt Atwood, in a telephone conversation. "However, Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation."

Nintendo's new generation console is officially set to launch sometime before the Thanksgiving holiday. However, rumors persist that the machine could debut as early as late October. Nintendo is expected to hold a briefing in September to reveal price and release date. IGN Wii will have more on the system as information becomes available.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumored TGS Game List
Submitted: 13 Jul 2006 16:02 By: gametime
http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-4351.aspx credit

Recently a Sony employee from Tokyo came out and leaked a list of games that Sony will be showcasing at this years Tokyo Game Show. The employee asked to be unnamed due the fact he would be fired for such a statment. So since there is no actual name to back this source we must say that this is only speculation and that there is the possiblity of the source being false information and hype.

The games that he listed to show at TGS 2006 are as follows:
- Resident Evil 5
- Devil May Cry 4
- Assassin's Creed
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Siren 3
- Metal Gear Solid 4
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Tekken 6
- Silent Hill 5
- SpiderMan 3
- Killzone 3
- Fatal Frame 4
- Onimusha 5
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Sequel to Shadow of the Colossus
- Sneak Peak at God of War 3
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- Battlefield 3 or believed to be Battlefield 2142
- Sneak Peak at Zone of the Enders 3

I originally planned to purchase a PS3 on release but now I’m not too sure. The current exclusive 360 games far out weigh in my tastes the planned PS3 exclusive games. The 360 have two exclusives, in Dead Rising and Far Cry Instincts: Predator that are virtually worth buying the console for. Plus other exclusives including F.E.A.R 1 & 2, Crackdown, Halo 3, and not to mention it will have NBA 2K7, Grand Theft Auto IV, Resident Evil 5 and Just Cause.

Although the PS3 has the four mentioned titles above, the only real exclusive worth getting is MGS4. So as you can see, the XBOX360 pros far outweigh the PS3’s at this point in time. I need help, bad.

I really think the PS3 will intially sell on it's name value then hit a slump. I saw an ad in the paper for it and all it was was a picture of the console a bold statement about being the future of gaming and a price ($999). I think even they know they've got the 3rd best console.

Stevolution said:
I think even they know they've got the 3rd best console.

Specs, game catalogue etc say different.

I know it is personal taste but the ps3 is in no way shape or form the worst of the three next gen machines.

P.S Halo is THE single most overrated game ever. Sure it's a great shoot em up, but the way people talk about it, f*** me it's like it makes you orgasm whilst playing.

I got an Xbox 360 about 2 weeks back now, and I am in love with it!

I hated the original XBOX. It had a few games I always wanted to play, but other than that not much grabbed me whenever I played one at a friends house. The controllers were rubbish. I always wound up giving up and just watching him play! I had a PS2 with a fair ammount of games, and got a Gamecube from a friend who went overseas and never came back :p I loved my PS2, and until recently I still played it all the time.

But lately I've had a bit of extra cash (hoorah tax returns!), and I saw some demos of some 360 stuff and thought f*ck it, I'm getting one. Oblivion just looked awesome! So I traded in a stack of old PS2 and Gamecube games I havent played in years, and got the premium console bundle for $300. I also bought with it Oblivion, Perfect Dark Zero, Ghost Recon Advaned Warfighter, aswell as some original Xbox games in Knights Of The Old Republic and Fable. 2 weeks later and I'm playing it for hours everyday, and dont think it'll stop anytime soon. Whenever I'm not at work or out, I'm there glued to the screen. The controllers are awesome, fit your hands perfectly, and you can plug a headset into them, or charge it while you play (mine are wireless). I havent been so immersed in anything since I was a kid!

I was planning to buy a PS3, but after watching all the clips from E3 and reading lots of news etc, I decided to take the chance on the 360 and it's paying off. Whether it's single player or online play, it's just awesome! If the PS3 turns out to be fantastic, well I'll trade in my 360 and get one, but at the moment I doubt it's going to happen. Really happy with my 360 and highly recommend them to anyone considering getting one.

Power21 said:
Specs, game catalogue etc say different.

I know it is personal taste but the ps3 is in no way shape or form the worst of the three next gen machines.

P.S Halo is THE single most overrated game ever. Sure it's a great shoot em up, but the way people talk about it, f*** me it's like it makes you orgasm whilst playing.

Don't take this as an insult because I'm being sincere but I reckon gamers like you have more faith in the PS3 than Sony do.

It might just be me and the PS3 may be a marvalous machine but Sony seem to think it will sell on it's name alone.

Earlier on in this post people were posting about blu-ray and hd-dvd saying that the 360 has hd-dvd and doesn't see the need in using it yet? i thought the hd-dvd was going to be an add on and that it isn't hd-dvd compatable in its original state is that true or have i read wrong... just curious as i thought that the blu-ray was one of the big keys to ps3

Remove this Banner Ad

360 v PS3 v Wii?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back