360 v PS3 v Wii?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if anyone here has posted it yet, but a friend of mine spotted this in Myer's today regarding the PS3 & Wii

PS3

Pre-order console and get $1200 in coupons upon release

Wii

Pre-order console and get $600 in coupons upon release

Just guessing because i haven't seen the offer above ^, but i would say that the Myer vouchers would be redeemable for anywhere between $10 or $20 off the games.

Hoops_is_better said:
Earlier on in this post people were posting about blu-ray and hd-dvd saying that the 360 has hd-dvd and doesn't see the need in using it yet? i thought the hd-dvd was going to be an add on and that it isn't hd-dvd compatable in its original state is that true or have i read wrong... just curious as i thought that the blu-ray was one of the big keys to ps3

X360 is not HD-DVD. PS3 is a blu-ray player - but Blu_ray is getting shellacked in comparison to the much cheaper HD-DVD format in HD comparisons.

Sony has done what they always do - get technologies from 4+ different division, who are not communicating, let alone designing things together, and stick them all in one box, and expect it to be the business. It's not turning out that way. The PS3 is more expensive to build, harder and more expensive to develop for, and in its current state cant push bits anywhere near as fast as the 360 can, which is a damn shame.

Sony are screwing the pooch with PS3, and their last minute attempt to match Xbox Live is too little too late. They'll still stell gazillions of machines in japan, but they've given up a HUUUUUGE slice of the pie to M$ this round.

Hoops_is_better said:
Earlier on in this post people were posting about blu-ray and hd-dvd saying that the 360 has hd-dvd and doesn't see the need in using it yet? i thought the hd-dvd was going to be an add on and that it isn't hd-dvd compatable in its original state is that true or have i read wrong... just curious as i thought that the blu-ray was one of the big keys to ps3

That's correct. They're looking at bringing out an external hd-dvd drive for the 360 towards the end of the year.

TheReason said:
I don't want to weight into this debate too much, and I understand every market (in every country) is different.... but

I give you one example.

20 years ago, Hong Kong. A bottle of Johhny Red or Johhny Black was ridiculously expensive, and they sold it by the bucketloads, the most dominant liquor seller. The ads and more importantly the price, were all geared towards 'exclusivety'.

Some Bean Bounter had a brain storm and decided his chart told him that "Lower Point of Sale = X increase in sales".

It was a major flop. Sales plummetted because the goods lost its exclusivety factor that drew customers to it in the 1st place.

I suspect that the PS3 at such a high price will fail... unless it is a generation ahead of the other two.

I have to say, I've been a little underwhelmed by the XBox 360 Graphics (on a non High Def TV). From the limited games I've seen, Title Fight is the only one that looks next Generation. I played a basketball game on it with a mate, NB2K6 or NBA06? and I have to say there is no advancement in graphics there.
There is also the 'snob factor' (which might be exactly what your talking about) which is where people want to buy things other people can't get, or want to buy expensive stuff because of the status it gives.

Game consoles historically come out at a very high price. Within 3 months time the price goes down alot. I suppose like someone said the people what want an exclusive item or something very pricey (the snob factor) will buy as will the hardcore and loyal gamers.

Within the next year the price decreases and as people know more about the consoles and more games come out they buy the consoles since it is slightly more affordable.

Game consoles can get away with the price dropping system as the people know the products price will drop and the products will be out on the market no matter what.

Well that is the opinion of someone who took a economics subject in his lil ol Tafe accounting course.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 360 once the price goes down a bit. It seems the best choice for me because I play mostly sport games (FIFA, NBA Live, Madden, NBA 2k, NCAA's etc.) or 'mature' games (I'm in to Hitman: Blood Money on Xbox at the moment). I'm just wondering, looking at that Wii controller, how could a game like FIFA be played on that. Any activity in-game that doesn't involve a hand movement would be useless.

Also, will PS3's Blu-Ray discs be burnable and therefore the PS3 mod-chippable? And have Sony realised more than 2 players play the console usually and installed 4 controller ports on the PS3?

lebron said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a 360 once the price goes down a bit. It seems the best choice for me because I play mostly sport games (FIFA, NBA Live, Madden, NBA 2k, NCAA's etc.) or 'mature' games (I'm in to Hitman: Blood Money on Xbox at the moment). I'm just wondering, looking at that Wii controller, how could a game like FIFA be played on that. Any activity in-game that doesn't involve a hand movement would be useless.

Also, will PS3's Blu-Ray discs be burnable and therefore the PS3 mod-chippable? And have Sony realised more than 2 players play the console usually and installed 4 controller ports on the PS3?
The gamecube controller can be used as well as a special traditional controller.

lebron said:
I'm just wondering, looking at that Wii controller, how could a game like FIFA be played on that. Any activity in-game that doesn't involve a hand movement would be useless.

Worthplaying on Madden Wii:
What we have here is a melding of technicality and accessibility. Plays are picked via a combination of the analog nunchaku stick and a laser sight conveyed with the remote. Snapping the ball is as easy as flicking the remote towards yourself. Want to pas the ball? Pick a receiver with your right thumb - no more checking around an entire controller's layout for eligible players. Once you pick the receiver, you make an actual throwing motion with the remote. Do it soft, and you'll lob it; do it hard, and your football becomes a bullet. Want to run the ball instead? Do so with the analog stick, using one of the trigger buttons to sprint, and the stick to juke, and motions with the remote for the stiff-arm. To break through someone's potential tackle, all the player has to do is thrust both sticks forward.

Kicking the football (i.e., for a field goal) is done by choosing the general direction of your kick with the analog stick. Afterwards, swinging the remote in an upward motion (as in, kicking without the foot action) will determine the power and flight of the ball. A great thing about all of these input methods is that if your arm has a natural tendency to list to one side, the game will pick this up, making this game of football actually dependent on one's physical skill to some degree. Heck, after a while, you won't even be using the analog to aim beforehand, instead just using your hand's tilt to its advantage. It's almost like controlling the ball as it's being kicked, in full 3D space. It's absolutely surreal.

Got a 360 shortly after launch and have never looked back, has a great bunch of games, a promising release list, the advantage of launching first and a price point that's expensive without being ridiculous.

The Wii looks alright too, games like the new Smash Brothers and Sonic Wildfire, plus that unique-until-ripped-off controller. Wish they'd gone with a less stupid name mind you, but at $500 or under they can call their console anything they want to. Plus, I will die before I buy Mario Party 8.

PS3 = no. Ludicrous price point, almost universally panned Blu-Ray technology, and a series of horrible, horrible PR mishaps, plus a list of games that did not hold my interest in their previous sequels-of-sequels when they were "exclusive" on the PS2 (for a few months before being ported to Xbox), and hold it even less now. Sony's market has always been the casual gamer, and they're pricing themselves out of that market this time around because they think all they have to do is shout "PlayStation[x]" and end of console war, to hell with the details. They're setting themselves up for a fall, big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Xbox can get Rare to make great games at a high success rate as they used to for the SNES and N64 I think you'll find no PR and marketing excercise can substitue for quality.

Anyway I want PS3 for MGS4, Wii for the controller, and I'm not too sure about Xbox 360, but I like the look of the interface and the online play. If Rare can start producing great games I would probably get an Xbox.

Ninty said:
Nintendo Wii launch price will be around/under $500..

EEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

WRONG!

Australian gamers were hoping Wii would be priced under $299, but $349 or even $399 now seems more likely. 3/8/06
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under $400 australian :thumbsu:

almost evryone is in favor of the Wii, so thats wonderfull! Wii OWNS
Wii > XBOX 360 >>>> PS3
ps3 issnt even on the list anymore...:rolleyes:

A very strong rumour is that the release date for the Wii console in Australia is the 9th of November but remember folks this date hasn't been denied or confirmed by Nintendo of Australia yet.

Some dissapointing but not unexpected news regarding the PS3...

GS: So is the PS3 already being manufactured?

KH: We haven't started manufacturing yet. Some of our ops guys were actually just in China, and also in Japan just reviewing the [production] lines and everything else. But they are, again, preparing as we speak to get the manufacturing going. We've not announced and we haven't set really a specific date to say, "As of this day we're going to start manufacturing."

link http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6156046.html

No wonder Toys'r'us have stopped taking pre orders, when this machine is due out in a few months time & they haven't even started making them yet :eek:

http://blogs.theage.com.au/screenplay/archives/hot_hardware/003094.html

Hands on with Wii

Nintendo's Australian office finally has some Wii consoles, so Screen Play made the trek to Scoresby on Friday to get some quality time with the radical new beast.

Games sampled included Wii Sports, WarioWare: Smooth Moves and technical demonstrations like a Duck Hunt-style shooting gallery and a musical conducting game.

All of the games were controlled with the Wii-mote, but Nintendo did have prototypes of the Nunchuk and the SNES-style controller for playing retro downloads.

There has been speculation that Nintendo will push the release of the Wii in Australia and Europe to 2007 following PlayStation 3's delay, but Nintendo Australia are very confident of a pre-Christmas Wii launch. They promise price and date will be announced within the next fortnight.

Like Screen Play's Wii session at E3, the latest hands-on play confirmed that gaming with the motion sensing Wii-mote is both delightfully intuitive and unnervingly foreign.

There is little doubt that this is a machine that will widen the audience for video games, offering tremendous fun for all ages and tastes. It should also allow hardcore gamers to experience old franchises in radical new ways.

The shooting demo highlighted that the sensor is extremely sensitive to even the slightest movement, allowing real precision.

WarioWare is terrific, especially with a crowd, and gives players a taste of the many varied ways which the controller can be utilised.

Wii Baseball and Golf are also lot of fun, although the demos gave only a glimpse of their potential.

It was Wii Tennis that had Screen Play coming back again and again. Applying spin with a flick of the wrist just like when swinging a real tennis racquet is very satisfying.

The all-too brief session left Screen Play begging for more, but fortunately it is now less than two weeks to the Tokyo Game Show.

In the meantime, Screen Play is happy to answer any of your Wii questions. Fire away.
Jason Hill

------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy has also answered quite a few questions regarding the upcoming Wii.
I was told by a very reliable source that the release date was to be the 9th of November but that was before Sony delayed the PS3 in Australia.

NINTENDO’S INCOMPARABLE Wii CONSOLE
LAUNCHES DEC 7th; SRP$399.95

Around 20 New Games and User-Friendly ‘Channels’
Make it the Affordable System for Gamers, Newcomers and Families

Australia, Melbourne, Sept. 15, 2006 – Nintendo will reshape the home entertainment and video game landscape with the launch of its heralded Wii™ home video game console. As part of a global launch period, Wii will arrive in Australia on December 7th. Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an SRP of just $399.95. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc, which anyone can play using simple movements, experienced or not.

Every Wii console includes another distinctive feature: a series of on-screen “channels” that make up the Wii Channel Menu, which makes the console approachable and customisable for everyone, from the most avid gamer to people who have never played before. The Wii Channel Menu is the starting point for all of the console’s functions. The “channels” offer a gateway to a rich variety of entertainment options. When connected to a TV, the Wii Channel Menu offers a simple interface, letting users pick games to play, get news or weather, view and send photos or even create playable caricatures of themselves to use in actual games. Additional functions allow users to redeem Wii Points and download classic games to Wii’s Virtual Console™. The variety of options available through the Wii Channel Menu motivates both gamers and non-gamers to turn on Wii’s power every day.

Wii is creating worldwide excitement with its unique control system, an inventive, first-of-its-kind controller whose position can be detected in a 3-D space. The new controller allows users to pinpoint targets in games or move through the Wii Channel Menu with precision and ease. This intuitive control system will be understood immediately by everyone, regardless of their previous experience with video games. With this one small controller, Wii makes games both easier and more intense than anything previously experienced. For example, in the Wii Sports tennis game, players swing the Wii Remote like a racquet to hit the ball, as in real life. They can add topspin or slice the ball just by angling their hands and wrist like they would in a real match.

“Wii is a product for all to enjoy. Whether you’re young or old, an experienced gamer or complete novice, Wii has something unique to offer us all,” says Rose Lappin, Director of Sales and Marketing. “At such an affordable price, we see Wii as being a true product of everybody.”

Between launch day and Dec. 31, Wii owners will enjoy a robust lineup of around 20 software titles, with selections for everyone from video game veterans to newcomers. Some top Nintendo launch titles include Wii Sports, a compilation of tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing and The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess. Wii’s self-loading media bay also can play the entire library of hundreds of Nintendo GameCube™ titles from day one.

Third-party developers around the world have lined up to provide unprecedented support for Wii.

Additional information about the list of Virtual Console games and the pricing structure will be revealed in the coming weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I can't help but feel that Australian gamers have been reamed again with this price which is approximately $50 US more than the US console which has exactly the same content. Xbox 360 here i come

Remove this Banner Ad

360 v PS3 v Wii?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back