Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - syndesmosis injury vs Nthrn Bullants in VFL - will miss six weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie him and let’s hope the demotion gives him a kick up the ass
But why?

We need fast small forwards and we're flush for medium-sized flankers.

He doesn't rack up the big pressure and tackle numbers required to become a defensive forward option.

Get the two joes, Berry and Richards, and move on I reckon.

But why?

We need fast small forwards and we're flush for medium-sized flankers.

He doesn't rack up the big pressure and tackle numbers required to become a defensive forward option.

Get the two joes, Berry and Richards, and move on I reckon.
The squeeze is coming I think for one of the primary list guys who doesn't have a contract out of Lazzaro, Phillips, Taylor and Harvey if we need an extra ND spot for River late bid or a late prospect.

Gee some harsh markers on here. Only 2 years on the list and been impacted by injury.
Showed some craft in his handful of AFL games and has proven to be a goal sneak at VFL level when fit.

Would definitely give him another year.
Nah you're blinded by the surname. He's had 4 times as long on the list as Charlie Ham and 2 more pre-seasons (2-0). Joel Crocker, Josh Williams, Declan Watson all showed as much in the VFL as him. 2 years is a long time, it's enough time to make judgements.

Massive game for him in the 2's tomorrow. Cooper needs to kick 4 or more to crack a game against the Hawks. Where he needs to show something, to get another deal.

Massive game for him in the 2's tomorrow. Cooper needs to kick 4 or more to crack a game against the Hawks. Where he needs to show something, to get another deal.
Do we want him getting another deal? I know there's sentimental value around keeping him on, but the lad just doesn't fit in, especially in a team where we already have three or four blokes who play like him, that also happen to be 8cm taller. Could very easily live with his delisting, unless he suddenly develops the pressure levels of a typical small forward

Do we want him getting another deal? I know there's sentimental value around keeping him on, but the lad just doesn't fit in, especially in a team where we already have three or four blokes who play like him, that also happen to be 8cm taller. Could very easily live with his delisting, unless he suddenly develops the pressure levels of a typical small forward

If his surname wasn’t Harvey, there’d be no debate.

Nah you're blinded by the surname. He's had 4 times as long on the list as Charlie Ham and 2 more pre-seasons (2-0). Joel Crocker, Josh Williams, Declan Watson all showed as much in the VFL as him. 2 years is a long time, it's enough time to make judgements.
I'm glad you were not judging big X All players develop differently regardless of position 2 years is really not that long in terms of a AFL learning career in my opinion.

He’s done nothing in the VFL all year, and one good game will get him a game in the seniors? I don’t think so

If his surname wasn’t Harvey, there’d be no debate.
I dunno, I rekon he showed something in his senior games and our praccy matches. Last year in our twos I think I recall him kicking a couple bags of 5. I like his overhead marking too. Interrupted pre season and season this year - we only have to look at Arch at what a possible third year on the list could produce for us. I hope his last name saves him but I don’t think it got him onto an AFL list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has some tricks and is good overhead and one on one. But he is neither tall nor fast enough to play the way he does at AFL level. Cooper needs to get super fit and help much more between the arcs to be any chance of making it. We could delist him but let him train on over summer, offering him a rookie contract in Feb if he shows he can do the work.

2.0, 10 disposals and 6 tackles.

Having watched him at vfl level, I think he has struggled to build fitness to stay involved in a team that is not super suited to small forwards.

Drury and Hansen have flown by him.

2.0, 10 disposals and 6 tackles.

Having watched him at vfl level, I think he has struggled to build fitness to stay involved in a team that is not super suited to small forwards.

Drury and Hansen have flown by him.
Yeah think he's done unfortunately.
Would've been nice to have him make it alongside Jacko, but Cooper has run out of time now. Running 3rd, in a 3 man race for one contract.

Stitched up a bit at times today. Few times kicked long to him in 2 on 1 contests. Also UnLucky not to get a free for htm earlier in the game that would have given him a 3rd goal.

Gut feeling is he's delisted, but if we're able to keep our extra rookie spots he might be lucky to stay.

I really want to see this kid stay at North. If for no other reason than he is Boomer Harvey's son, and that alone should indicate he has it in him to make it. An injury interrupted year this year didn't help. Still only very young. One more year, even as a rookie? Surely we can afford that? We had Jacob Edwards on our list for 2 years and he did a whole lot less than Cooper has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - syndesmosis injury vs Nthrn Bullants in VFL - will miss six weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back