AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Best player on our list?
Nah. He’s still just in the “universal love” honeymoon phase.

You’ll know he’s the best player on our list when half of Big Footy hates him and three quarters of us have a list of grievances about his game.

I’ll start that off so we can hasten the process:

“Doesn’t take enough genuine hangers in D50.. clear lack of work rate”

“One sock is sometimes higher than the other. Delist”

“Overrated. I’d trade him for Josh Green and a future third.”

Best player on our list?
Yes.

If you were to break his skill set down he’d be top three on list for football smarts, running ability, foot skills, clean hands, dual sided hands and feet.

Only aspect missing is phyiscality but he’s component in the tackle and he’s Pendlebury level evasive so he’ll get away with it forever.

Nah. He’s still just in the “universal love” honeymoon phase.

You’ll know he’s the best player on our list when half of Big Footy hates him and three quarters of us have a list of grievances about his game.

I’ll start that off so we can hasten the process:

“Doesn’t take enough genuine hangers in D50.. clear lack of work rate”

“One sock is sometimes higher than the other. Delist”

“Overrated. I’d trade him for Josh Green and a future third.”
"Haircut is shit".

"Doesn't eat meat".

Credit to the young man, we gave him an opportunity when no one else did. Seems like he has good integrity, and with the way he's been playing, he could've easily held off talks and taken off back home, and tbh no one would've really blamed him for doing so.
If this doesn't wake up the rest of the group and spark them up a bit, I'm not sure what will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably turned down a longer contract with us...

Still amazed this guy wasn't picked up by anyone else earlier and it was us that got him.
He might be my favourite player already. It's crazy how rarely he does anything wrong. I just can't understand how he wasn't picked up before the pre-season.

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

One thing I love about the way he goes about it is that he's immediate in his execution. If you watch him play, you'll notice that his eyes dart right up as he grabs the ball simultaneously and is engaged with his targets from the word go. It allows him to keep the ball moving and looks as if he's playing in slow-time, like he's a second ahead. That's a trait I wish all our players had.

Could Martin get to a Hugh McCluggage level?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back