Delisted #38 Harry Arnold

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we might be the only club without a successful pick since it's been re-introduced. Every other club seems to at least get a player who's decent depth.
That’s probably because we rarely give them an extended go

I reckon we might be the only club without a successful pick since it's been re-introduced. Every other club seems to at least get a player who's decent depth.
That's because we recruit them all as half back flankers & don't have the imagination to try them elsewhere.
Back or nothing.
I tell a lie.
We made a premiership backman a forward.
Hamling!

Have we ever had a mid-season draft pick work out?
Buller’s the most successful so far (since the re-introduction) with one (subbed out) game. McAndrew has made plenty of emergencies list (albeit not as much this year) HHK made the emergencies list a couple of times while Knoll infamously made the emergencies the first week he arrived but nothing since

Of the rest Hirst and Arnold have been delisted while Hanily looks promising and I guess he’s been given another year since he’s not in the list of delisting just announced

Buller’s the most successful so far (since the re-introduction) with one (subbed out) game. McAndrew has made plenty of emergencies list (albeit not as much this year) HHK made the emergencies list a couple of times while Knoll infamously made the emergencies the first week he arrived but nothing since

Of the rest Hirst and Arnold have been delisted while Hanily looks promising and I guess he’s been given another year since he’s not in the list of delisting just announced
star wars GIF

I'd argue that McAndrew currently has his nose ahead. Two AFL games vs one (subbed out, as you note). Not much of a nose, sure.

McAndrew has played two games (both wins) and wasn't the sub (but was subbed out v Carlton R11, 2023). Performed better than Buller did in his cameo. Still neither of them can be declared a successful recruitment at this stage.

Bit unlucky with his timing.

Just before we drafted him, we had serious injury issues with our key defenders, which had then improved by the time Arnold got here. Then he missed most of this season with his back injury. So never really got a chance.

But I thought he played well in the reserves. And I liked that he was a good size and fairly mobile.

Last edited:
Bit unlucky with his timing.

Just before we drafted him, we had serious injury issues with our key defenders, which had then improved by the time Arnold got here. Then he missed most of this season with his back injury. So never really got a chance.

But I thought he played well in the reserves. And I liked that he was a good size and fairly mobile.
Are they thinking his back injury is degenerative?
Guess we are hitting the draft with at least another one KPD.

Are they thinking his back injury is degenerative?
Guess we are hitting the draft with at least another one KPD.
I have no idea about Arnold's back. But when he returned from injury, he seemed to be moving ok.

My guess is that we have got Edwards and Snell as developing defenders. Likely Cochran from the academy as a mobile tall. Also there is a chance we could select another tall forward/defender with one of our early picks. So we could have 3-4 young defenders on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I think Arnold is a bit a victim of a list squeeze. Didn't too much wrong but injured and we have a glut of fringe KPDs all of whom are either unproven or journeymen. It was probably either him or Francis and Francis is more of a plug and play at AFL level.

Arnold has also been involved with coaching (via the Academy, I think), especially while he was injured. I wonder if he'll stay involved or move on. Has a bit to offer. If he does stay around, we could always keep tabs on him too and offer him a VFL spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #38 Harry Arnold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back