Past #38: Josh Gibson - officially traded to Hawthorn for picks 25 & 41 in the 2009 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

All I'm saying guys is I think we undersold Gibbo.

Pick 40 this year is like pick 60 in a normal year.

Pick 25 is ok, but he is young, marketbale, injury free, coming off a great year and is about to enter his prime. We deserved more for him imo.

Considering Gibson nominated he wanted to leave and Hawthorn was his priority, we did okay. There are obvious concerns about the depth of the draft, but I would rather take a punt on two players in the 20's and 40's than accept mediocre players who struggle to make Hawthorn's 22.

The improvement of our back line in 2009, notably Grima and Thompson, also takes the sting out of losing him a little.

Once they put Gibbo on key forwards the opinions will change, especially if we pick up someone decent.

I'd expect Gilham and Schoenmakers to play FB and CHB. Gibbo will be that 3rd tall that can rotate onto whoever the other two are playing on if required.

I think it was a fair deal for both teams. We probably could of paid slightly less, but in the interests in getting it done with quickly we didn't haggle too much.

All I'm saying guys is I think we undersold Gibbo.

Pick 40 this year is like pick 60 in a normal year.

Pick 25 is ok, but he is young, marketbale, injury free, coming off a great year and is about to enter his prime. We deserved more for him imo.
And all I'm saying is don't take too much heed of what these 'experts' are saying. They probably thought Trotter, Dylan Smith, etc were sure things :thumbsu:

The truth is kids mature at different ages and we ain't gonna know if 2009 has been a good draft until about 2013. Bookmark that and get back to me. If we do our research, we can find some good players around pick 41 and beyond. Bookmark that one too.

Spud looked a bit lost this year with the midfield experiment and his role in the seniors looked a little uncertain. Now with Gibbo gone, maybe spud will revert to a halfback roll. It seems he plays his best footy on a back flank or at chb on the right opponent.

With Scott keen on getting Joel McDonald over, you would think that Firrito could play the role intended for Joel.

Yes Firrito off the half back is the perfect role for him cos he's got the size, strength and mobility to be a very good backline general. Him as a midfield is a little out of his depth cos he's not that quick and agile but used properly he is a very all rounded player. Also given his experience playing full back, he can play against bigger opponent but now with Grima, Thompson and Hansen we have the luxury of using him for his natural role.

Against Sydney he looked dangerous as a forward. Would love to see him given multiple weeks there.

Yes Firrito off the half back is the perfect role for him cos he's got the size, strength and mobility to be a very good backline general. Him as a midfield is a little out of his depth cos he's not that quick and agile but used properly he is a very all rounded player. Also given his experience playing full back, he can play against bigger opponent but now with Grima, Thompson and Hansen we have the luxury of using him for his natural role.

Not sure what Scott et al have in mind for Firrito. I'm happy with either of the above as options. To be perfectly honest Firrito is exactly the type that could be a useful utility. Rather than our penchant in recent years of using people like Petrie all over the place.

He has some explosive speed, his ability to break tackles gives him an edge in the speed department.

Spud unfortunately, looks like a spud when he is one out in the back 50.

I see him coming off the bench and assisting with run with rolls, giving a bit more grunt at the stoppages and even floating on the wing as a link up player.

Our best 22 would look like this:

Back: Scott McMahon - Scott Thompson - Nathan Grima
H/Back: Gavin Urquhart - Lachlan Hansen - Daniel Pratt
Centre: Liam Anthony - Jack Ziebell - Levi Greenwood
H/Fwd: Brent Harvey - Drew Petrie - Leigh Harding
Frwrd: Matt Campbell - Robbie Tarrant - Ben Warren
Ruck: Hamish McIntosh - Andrew Swallow - Daniel Wells

I/C Todd Goldstein - Leigh Adams - Michael Firrito - Dustin Martin or Kane Lucas or Ben Cunnington or Anthony Morobito or Lewis Jetta

Emergencies: Sam Wright - Brady Rawlings - Ben Ross

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with out gibbo its better for north because he is a small man for half back the right man is either firrito or pratt but mostly it will be firrito because he is bigger than pratt and stronger.

From a Fanatical Female RooLover, I believe that Josh Gibson going is a really good thing. I'd always heard he was the biggest Egotist/Lovemedo in the Club. As far as I'm concerned, we don't want, or need, people like him playing for our Great Club!!! If they don't want to be there, I definitely don't want them there. I think Hawthorn got sucked in to thinking he's better than he is because he played well against Buddy Franklin!!! Hope he turns out a Dud for those "PEE & POOS" North has something that money etc can never buy!! Cheers Blabs!!!!

I would play him on the wing and tell him to play from H/B to H/F would be very damaging.
I dont want him playing backline as he looks lost at times with what options to use(to slow).

H/B to Wing wouldnt be bad. He does have grunt, guts and breaks the lines. Forward? I have seen a few suspects kicks -he aint no forward.

Could the spud be our version of the fridge?

Yes please!!

Spudley looked a little lost at times playing on the ball in 09 however I do like the idea of Spud on the wing with license to roam. With space in front of him he can be very dangerous. He can be very damaging skirting around the edges of packs too as he is quick in the first few steps, can break a tackle and deliver well into fw50.

At his best Spud is defo in the 22, but could be in a spot of bother if his form drops away in 2010.

A legend and a traitor. Shrinkage or not, who has the ****s in this pic?

GibbotheWuss.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #38: Josh Gibson - officially traded to Hawthorn for picks 25 & 41 in the 2009 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back