Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things that stood out Thursday night::
HRS had the best 7 possession game you will ever see and NIWL had the best 5 possession game you will ever see. Keep plugging away boys. HRS will be a 200 game player as i said over 2 years ago, but NIWL is still a conundrum for me as he does enough to keep me on board, yet can do some horrible shit as well.

HRS had the best 7 possession game you will ever see and NIWL had the best 5 possession game you will ever see. Keep plugging away boys. HRS will be a 200 game player as i said over 2 years ago, but NIWL is still a conundrum for me as he does enough to keep me on board, yet can do some horrible shit as well.
Welcome back

If he keeps kicking goals he’ll be left in the side and can keep working on the areas he needs to improve. On Thursday could see that he tends to get a bit lost on the half forward line - a few times he’d try running out the back, and his opponent would get the intercept mark. Plenty of goalsense, just needs to develop the skills in the other areas of the ground.

If he keeps kicking goals he’ll be left in the side and can keep working on the areas he needs to improve. On Thursday could see that he tends to get a bit lost on the half forward line - a few times he’d try running out the back, and his opponent would get the intercept mark. Plenty of goalsense, just needs to develop the skills in the other areas of the ground.
Biggest problem atm is he's getting an opponent a lot taller than him bc Kosi and Ryan are not AFL standard and he's playing an unnatural forward role ATM . I've always remained adamant that we won't actually get a realistic view of his true ability when Lynch is in the side. Unfortunately LeFau went down so our talls are still a worry. Do we play Gray or is he another grey area atm?lol

Biggest problem atm is he's getting an opponent a lot taller than him bc Kosi and Ryan are not AFL standard and he's playing an unnatural forward role ATM . I've always remained adamant that we won't actually get a realistic view of his true ability when Lynch is in the side. Unfortunately LeFau went down so our talls are still a worry. Do we play Gray or is he another grey area atm?lol
Agree. At full strength, Lynch, Lefau, Balta, Cumbo gets a genuine small defender and lights them up IMO.

Agree. At full strength, Lynch, Lefau, Balta, Cumbo gets a genuine small defender and lights them up IMO.
Long-term he gets the Dusty role inside 50. With two key forwards around him and a fleet of pressure forwards we should be able to give him a licence to be an attacking weapon.

Balta stays down back with my mate Benny. lol
Yeah in your absence I came around to this way of thinking, just dont know if Yze will backflip long term.

I would bring Gibcus or Young back as full time KPF's.

Yeah in your absence I came around to this way of thinking, just dont know if Yze will backflip long term.

I would bring Gibcus or Young back as full time KPF's.
I am willing to try Bauer forward as well as he 's got a nice leap and very quick which makes him a tough matchup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am willing to try Bauer forward as well as he 's got a nice leap and very quick which makes him a tough matchup.
Yep, couldn't understand why we moved him back. Probably competing Lefau for the 3rd tall role.

As a defender maybe 5th string. Don't think he has any forward attributes.

I don't see him surviving beyond his contract tbh.
I could see him recapturing 2023 form with a better performing team

I don't think that was anything great outside of a stopper. Miller is doing that and also providing rebound with good skills.
Agree, Miller has been great. If Miller gets injured, who plays FB? I would suggest its the less gifted stopper, but maybe Blight is the answer. Still I think as pure depth, He is a great option.

Agree, Miller has been great. If Miller gets injured, who plays FB? I would suggest its the less gifted stopper, but maybe Blight is the answer. Still I think as pure depth, He is a great option.
Yeah I'm assuming Blight goes past him. I don't see both on list beyond 2025.

Balta, Miller, Gibcus, Blight, Young, Bauer and probably Lockwood (NGA)

One will need to go.

Yeah I'm assuming Blight goes past him. I don't see both on list beyond 2025.

Balta, Miller, Gibcus, Blight, Young, Bauer and probably Lockwood (NGA)

One will need to go.
Bauer needs to play Fwd IMO
Lockwood wont be physically ready until Young retires ;)

Bauer needs to play Fwd IMO
Lockwood wont be physically ready until Young retires ;)
Probably for Bauer. Kozi might go back too and have the benefit of having a contract. If Gibcus can make it as a forward it might save Young but think he's comfortably in the bottom 8-10 talents on the list so would survive this year and next year in trouble.

Lockwood won't be ready for AFL but you still need to develop him in his position at vfl.

Watching the Pies v Dee’s game I’ve been scrutinising the Melbourne FL and on paper it looks much more superior than ours , but they lack a quality tall after JVR. JVR has kicked three goals with no other genuine tall man support. They have some young kid rotating with Harrison Petty who’s traditionally a defender unless he plays against us and has a day out lol. With 7 min to go they’ve kicked 5:14 after their 7 goals last week. Fritsch has just kicked his first so they’re 6:14 with a junk time goal now and one to pickett earlier for his second. So these two small men are much superior than Cumberland and Mansell on careers to date , yet they’ve struggled all day with wide entries and lots of bombing . Pickett has had a few set shots wide and a long way out near the fifty with snaps also in similar positions. Fritsch has hardly been sighted. Melbourne have had a truck load of entries, but bc of a one man band tall with a minor support crew their smalls are basically easily shutdown no matter how good they are . Freo and Collingwood defenders minced up their forward line easily turning it over and they both got easy goals on the defensive rebound.
Fritsch just missed again from 50 m on the siren.
So the moral of the story is that it doesn’t matter how good your small forwards are if you don’t have at least two AFL standard tall forwards then you’re going to struggle. So people criticising Cumberland really need to pull their heads in bc we’ve hardly had a decent midfield all year to even get the ball down there and when we have it was LeFau for a few weeks with Balta who struggled to impact. Last Thursday against a depleted Crows we got in by 8 points in a low scoring game with Kosi and the one armed bandit as the Talls. So Cumberland’s three goal , five possession game with a lot of defensive running and pressure was actually an excellent game. As I stated earlier his true ability cannot be measured or assessed until we can have the right forward setup as currently our forward line with talls is more closer to VFL standard.

Last edited:
Watching the Pies v Dee’s game I’ve been scrutinising the Melbourne FL and on paper it looks much more superior than ours , but they lack a quality tall after JVR. JVR has kicked three goals with no real tall man support. They have some young kid rotating with Harrison Petty who’s traditionally a defender unless he plays against us and has a day out lol. With 7 min to go they’ve kicked 5:14 after their 7 goals last week. Fritsch has just kicked his first so they’re 6:14 with a junk time goal now and one to pickett earlier for his second. So these two small men are much superior than Cumberland and Mansell on careers to date , yet they’ve struggled all day with wide entries and lots of bombing . Pickett has had a few set shots wide and a long way out near the fifty with snaps also in similar positions. Fritsch has hardly been sited. Melbourne have had a truck load of entries, but bc of a one man band tall with a minor support crew their smalls are basically easily shutdown no matter how good they are . Freo and Collingwood defenders minced up their forward line easily turning it over and they both got easy goals on the defensive rebound.
Fritsch just missed again from 50 m on the siren.
So the moral of the story is that it doesn’t matter how good your small forwards are if you don’t have at least two AFL standard tall forwards then you’re going to struggle. So people criticising Cumberland really need to pull their heads in bc we’ve hardly had a decent midfield all year to even get the ball down there and when we have it was LeFau for a few weeks with Balta who struggled to impact. Last Thursday against a depleted Crows we got in by 8 points in a low scoring game with Kosi and the one armed bandit as the Talls. So Cumberland’s three goal , five possession game with a lot of defensive running and pressure was actually an excellent game. As I stated earlier his true ability cannot be measured or assessed until we can have the right forward setup as currently our forward line with talls is more closer to VFL standard.

Champion Data must have missed all the Cumberland pressure acts you have clearly picked up Imposter. They gave Mansell 28, Graham 26, Campbell 19, Baker 17, Sonsie 14.....

and Cumberland 5.

Champion Data must have missed all the Cumberland pressure acts you have clearly picked up Imposter. They gave Mansell 28, Graham 26, Campbell 19, Baker 17, Sonsie 14.....

and Cumberland 5.
I didn’t say pressure acts. . I said defensive pressure which is completely different.

I didn’t say pressure acts. . I said defensive pressure which is completely different.

Yes because a pressure act wouldn't bring defensive pressure to bear on the opposition....come on TI, you are probably rusty off your lay off so we will give you a mulligan, just admit you got this one wrong. You are certainly rapid when it comes to admitting you got anything right. :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back