Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if someone said 12 months ago that Xerri would be a top 3 ruck in the comp, maybe number 1. I feel like that would be like someone saying that Eddie Ford will be a 2025 AA, or something.

I was so worried this time last year I started a thread about my concerns re The Ruck and continued all summer to be met with calls of Rucks aren’t important.

Should go find that thread actually

Anyway I’m so glad it’s turned out so well

Now, now, Uncle_Leo lets give Tristan a chance before we do a LDU, Petracca, or Cunnington. I've said elsewhere, what a lot of posters from everywhere were saying after the first 2 or 3 years about those two midfield dynamo's, a bit of patience was needed but no, "bloody hell we've wasted a high draft pick, we're screwed." He ain't gonna live up to what we thought he'd be, typical us".

Ben, well where do I start, his first two years weren't great, he was injured, interruptions galore and homesickness a factor, lets just say for a number 5 draft pick there were more than a few people rolling their eyes and thinking things that I won't post on here, I remember after one of the early rounds in Bens second year where we played Sydney and we got beat, Sydney's coach at the time, Paul Roos let fly in an almighty spray at two of our players, those two players were Jack Ziebell and Ben Cunnington.

The famous spray, well he pretty much called them "USELESS", after we had the game won only to let Sydney steal it from us. Now there's that word popping up again "patience", I hear people saying yes but their different players, yes they are, all the more reason to give him a chance, is it not said that big men take time?

I'm pretty sure we won't be going after a ruckman at the end of 2024 unless other things beyond our control take over, then that might be a possibility, just my opinion but if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times we don't need a great ruckman, someone to make a contest and help around the ground as well as the routine stuff a ruckman does. All I ask is to have a little patience with him and see what he can do with our midfield, I think you'll see a different player next year and even the year after.

Brady….you sly dawg

All this time…!

Will be top 10 ruck next year.

He has the tools

Working Cameron Smith GIF

Just quietly what was up with his left foot inside 50?

Just because?

It may have been related to him having his right knee heavily strapped.

IMG_6936.png

All day after taking a grab he’d look to offload the pill to anyone else in his vicinity, only kicking it himself when those around him were covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they socially conditioning the bird brain nuffies of all 17 other clubs that this is what’s going to happen come AA night to soften the blow that, yes North are actually COMING.
They're building us up to let us down so they can wank on about the controversial decision not to select him for three weeks.

Marshall is a pretty good player himself so from a list perspective they're ok.
Xerri goes there as second fiddle to Marshall. Probably still is.

Stays at North, he's in AA contention. Worked out well for us and him.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Needs 19 more tackles in the final 2 weeks to match Andrew Swallow's North record of 183 tackles in a season. X man is currently sitting on 164.

Prior to this season Swallow had the top 6 tackling efforts by a north player in a season.

Needs 19 more tackles in the final 2 weeks to match Andrew Swallow's North record of 183 tackles in a season. X man is currently sitting on 164.

Prior to this season Swallow had the top 6 tackling efforts by a north player in a season.
He was a tackling machine so that's a fair achievement.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was a tackling machine so that's a fair achievement.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd love to know the best tackling effort for a ruckman in any given season. I reckon X would've already smashed it out of the park.

A ruckman hasn't featured in the top 15 for AFL tackling stats since 2018 when Brodie Grundy tied 13th with 134 tackles. I went back to 2012, and no ruckman had featured in the top 15 in the comp.

When you combine that with his contested possessions and clearances it really has been a freakshow of a season.

I'd love to know the best tackling effort for a ruckman in any given season. I reckon X would've already smashed it out of the park.

A ruckman hasn't featured in the top 15 for AFL tackling stats since 2018 when Brodie Grundy tied 13th with 134 tackles. I went back to 2012, and no ruckman had featured in the top 15 in the comp.

When you combine that with his contested possessions and clearances it really has been a freakshow of a season.
He’s a genuine extra midfielder and a superstar one at that.
People will point to his not so great tap work and hit outs to advantage but that’s not a big deal when he’s killing it in every other aspect.
It’s similar to when BBB was kicking shitloads of goals but couldn’t get an AA gig because not enough goal assists which had never been used as a metric before. No shit, campaigner was kicking goals, can’t assist when he’s the one kicking them.

The lengths people will go to to talk down a players impressive performance is ****ed. Take a look at the daicos thread on the main board for more on this.

Maybe I’m the one with the problem but I enjoy seeing players play well.

Oh well

He’s a genuine extra midfielder and a superstar one at that.
People will point to his not so great tap work and hit outs to advantage but that’s not a big deal when he’s killing it in every other aspect.
It’s similar to when BBB was kicking shitloads of goals but couldn’t get an AA gig because not enough goal assists which had never been used as a metric before. No shit, campaigner was kicking goals, can’t assist when he’s the one kicking them.

The lengths people will go to to talk down a players impressive performance is ****ed. Take a look at the daicos thread on the main board for more on this.

Maybe I’m the one with the problem but I enjoy seeing players play well.

Oh well
An important part of that Daicos thread was winding up Collingwood supporters.

Now he's struggling a bit it isn't as much fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member

Remove this Banner Ad

Back