Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Still can’t believe we took him & Mahony ahead of Chad Warner FFS!
OMG that list of non selections for ordinary ones is frightening. Will Walker was a pick or two ahead of Balta wasn’t he? Or close to.
Our recruiting blokes watched Beau McCreery and Phoenix Spicer play i the same team and chose Phoenix.
Frightening amount of “No hecking idea’s”

Didnt notice him much, but late'ish in the last i found myself behind our d50 goals, and Prez found himself deep on Crywoldt and gave zero hecks as he lead to the obvious space to get the obvious hero shot at goal. no attempt to prevent it at all. I wanted to sook, riewolt style, instead i stfu coz i dunno how prickly the cheer squad gets about interlopers.

I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you (Cracko)

OMG that list of non selections for ordinary ones is frightening. Will Walker was a pick or two ahead of Balta wasn’t he? Or close to.
Our recruiting blokes watched Beau McCreery and Phoenix Spicer play i the same team and chose Phoenix.
Frightening amount of “No *ing idea’s”
Yeah you're not gonna want to look up the six to seven picks that went immediately after Will Walker. Grim reading

OMG that list of non selections for ordinary ones is frightening. Will Walker was a pick or two ahead of Balta wasn’t he?
Oh you went there. November 2017. Our very best ever potato farming. Franklin-Tambling Hall of Fame stuff.

2017 AFL DRAFT

#23 - WILL 'soccer background' WALKER

#24 - Tim Kelly
#25 - Noah Balta
#26 - Liam Ryan
#28 - Sam Taylor
#29 - Charlie Spargo
#30 - Tom De Koning
#31 - Bailey Fritsch
#33 - Tom McCartin
#36 - Charlie Constable
#37 - Harrison Petty
#38 - Jack Petruccelle
#39 - Nathan Murphy
#42 - Charlie Ballard
#45 - James Worpel
#51 - Kane Farrell
#54 - Jack Payne
#57 - Grian Myers

#62 - KYRON HAYDEN

#63 - Ben Miller
#66 - Brandon Zerk Thatcher
#67 - Dylan Moore
#69 - Lloyd Meek

#72 - TRISTAN XERRI

#73 - Matt Guelfi
#76 - Sam Switkowski

🤮

Frightening amount of “No *ing idea’s”

Yeah the Will Walker one is probably the worst of recent times. That selection was absolutely deplorable

I thought Will Walker was going ok till multiple knee injuries hit.

In the early days , several VFL games he played were better or equal of Larkey & Zurhaar imo

Oh you went there. November 2017. Our very best ever potato farming. Franklin-Tambling Hall of Fame stuff.

2017 AFL DRAFT

#24 - Tim Kelly
#25 - Noah Balta
#26 - Liam Ryan
#28 - Sam Taylor
#29 - Charlie Spargo
#30 - Tom De Koning
#31 - Bailey Fritsch
#33 - Tom McCartin
#36 - Charlie Constable
#37 - Harrison Petty
#38 - Jack Petruccelle
#39 - Nathan Murphy
#42 - Charlie Ballard
#45 - James Worpel
#51 - Kane Farrell
#54 - Jack Payne
#57 - Grian Myers

#62 - KYRON HAYDEN

#63 - Ben Miller
#67 - Dylan Moore
#69 - Lloyd Meek

#72 - TRISTAN XERRI

#73 - Matt Guelfi
#76 - Sam Switkowski

🤮

2017 AFL DRAFT

#24 - Tim Kelly
#25 - Noah Balta
#26 - Liam Ryan
#28 - Sam Taylor
#29 - Charlie Spargo
#30 - Tom De Koning
#31 - Bailey Fritsch
#33 - Tom McCartin
#36 - Charlie Constable
#37 - Harrison Petty
#38 - Jack Petruccelle
#39 - Nathan Murphy
#42 - Charlie Ballard
#45 - James Worpel
#51 - Kane Farrell
#54 - Jack Payne
#57 - Grian Myers

#62 - KYRON HAYDEN

#63 - Ben Miller
#67 - Dylan Moore
#69 - Lloyd Meek

#72 - TRISTAN XERRI

#73 - Matt Guelfi
#76 - Sam Switkowski

🤮
At best had we picked any of those players we wouldn’t have developed them the way their respective clubs have at worst we would have destroyed their careers. I’m confident if we’d picked say Bailey Fritsch he’d be in and out of the seniors and we’d be bemoaning why we didn’t pick Will Walker. Until our player development improves drastically I don’t see any point revisiting previous drafts and wishing ‘what if’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if he was aggressive? He just has no intent about him.
Sometimes it takes one play or contest to make you as a footballer and Flynn had a chance today to show he belongs and didn't go.
Timid as f***

Thanks Flynn but bye bye
He used to be alot more aggro at the ball. In his first game Charlie Dixon flattened him and he just bounced right back up and charged into it. Not looking good now tho.

2017 AFL DRAFT

#24 - Tim Kelly - Questions on him making the step up
#26 - Liam Ryan - Questions on Fitness and leaving the state, combine previous had some of the worst beep test results
#54 - Jack Payne - Bris Academy?
#62 - KYRON HAYDEN - Was playing in a very strong Subi team at that time, played reserves and did well but they really play young players in their seniors

#73 - Matt Guelfi - Was doing ok at Claremont but didn't really set the world on fire, credit to him
Don't agree with that choice at that pick but some of those should have needed some clarification of what was the situation

Last edited:

2017 AFL DRAFT

#24 - Tim Kelly
#25 - Noah Balta
#26 - Liam Ryan
#28 - Sam Taylor
#29 - Charlie Spargo
#30 - Tom De Koning
#31 - Bailey Fritsch
#33 - Tom McCartin
#36 - Charlie Constable
#37 - Harrison Petty
#38 - Jack Petruccelle
#39 - Nathan Murphy
#42 - Charlie Ballard
#45 - James Worpel
#51 - Kane Farrell
#54 - Jack Payne
#57 - Grian Myers

#62 - KYRON HAYDEN

#63 - Ben Miller
#67 - Dylan Moore
#69 - Lloyd Meek

#72 - TRISTAN XERRI

#73 - Matt Guelfi
#76 - Sam Switkowski

🤮
JFC …..

What a joke our recruiting was. Seriously allergic to taking tall bloKew. That above list is horrendous viewing. Will Walker FFS.

I don't know why people keep banging on about these things - everyone is a hindsight expert.

I'd be really interested to read the 2024 draft as composed by some of the experts here. Then look at it in 3 or 4 years.

Come on people, accept the challenge.

Imagine if he was aggressive? He just has no intent about him.
Sometimes it takes one play or contest to make you as a footballer and Flynn had a chance today to show he belongs and didn't go.
Timid as f***

Thanks Flynn but bye bye
Was the complete opposite in his first handful of games attacked the contest with a lot of aggression. I wonder if it’s psychological after his injury history.

Yeah the Will Walker one is probably the worst of recent times. That selection was absolutely deplorable
Really? WW had 26 touches and 2 goals against the lions in his 3rd or 4th game and 9 and a goal in a quarter of footy before being injured the next week. Was never the same after injury, was that physical psychological or both I don’t know, but I seem to remember he had an incredible ability to find space and just be in the right place to find the ball. Albeit from a small sample size. I do wonder how much is psychological bs physical when you consider young guys sustaining longer term injuries who ultimately come back seemingly a shadow of their former self and play out their contract in the vfl or not at all. Harper another that comes to mind.

Really? WW had 26 touches and 2 goals against the lions in his 3rd or 4th game and 9 and a goal in a quarter of footy before being injured the next week. Was never the same after injury, was that physical psychological or both I don’t know, but I seem to remember he had an incredible ability to find space and just be in the right place to find the ball. Albeit from a small sample size. I do wonder how much is psychological bs physical when you consider young guys sustaining longer term injuries who ultimately come back seemingly a shadow of their former self and play out their contract in the vfl or not at all. Harper another that comes to mind.
I remember watching Will in the vfl when he returned. Timid is the first thing to come to mind. Didn’t fully stretch out when running, didn’t go hard enough when he had to. Like Harper, just looked a shell of the player he was before injuries.

Still can’t believe we took him & Mahony ahead of Chad Warner FFS!
Pykie our firmer comrade was filthy we never took rivers
I don't know why people keep banging on about these things - everyone is a hindsight expert.

I'd be really interested to read the 2024 draft as composed by some of the experts here. Then look at it in 3 or 4 years.

Come on people, accept the challenge.
I would love to know where other clubs had mahony / Perez on their lists for that draft

I didn't mind WW as a prospect, but the reason why we took him was laugable.

I've told this story before, but basically, Geelong were playing some fun and games pre draft via managers about taking Will Walker with their 2nd round pick. They knew that Joyce really liked him and had all intentions of taking him later in the draft. Joyce and other pulled the trigger early because they desperately wanted him. Geelong never had any intentions of drafting him.

I didn't mind WW as a prospect, but the reason why we took him was laugable.

I've told this story before, but basically, Geelong were playing some fun and games pre draft via managers about taking Will Walker with their 2nd round pick. They knew that Joyce really liked him and had all intentions of taking him later in the draft. Joyce and other pulled the trigger early because they desperately wanted him. Geelong never had any intentions of drafting him.
If true, FFS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back